HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who We Are (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53916)

KDR 04-07-2012 05:42 AM

Who We Are

I would like to introduce myself as someone more than an HER2 patient, and likewise, I'd love to meet you--know the essence of you. Who we are is so much more important than this disease.

I am Karen, married to Sherif, an Egyptian who works in finance. I work in real estate. I have an eight-year-old daughter, Yasmin. She is a third-grader who can put things into perspective when I get cloudy. She loves the arts and is strong in languages. We live on Long Island, New York. Being a Cancerian, I love the ocean and all it holds. I am also a child of the 60's and have a hippie heart. I had my own independent record label, specializing in reggae, from 1987-2000. I am a published imagist poet, and have won many writing awards for my short stories, including the 1999 Irwin Shaw Best Novel In Progress Award in Paris, France. (Would love to get to confer with other writers here). Other passions are calligraphy, cooking and one thing I'd love to learn: the craft of stained glass. I am World Trade Center survivor--that stays in my signature because the exposure affected my overall health in a major way. I was planning to adopt an Ethiopian child just prior to my diagnosis.

I believe in The Cure, not staging! I regularly read Scientific Spiritual Affirmations by Paramanhansa Yogananda and poetry, particularly naturalist Mary Oliver, Sylvia Plath, and most contemporary poets. I love the Enlightenment period, and Emerson and Thoreau.

And, yes! I loved I Dream Of Jeannie when I was little.

Love
Karen

lk1 04-07-2012 06:59 AM

Re: Who We Are

Karen
:)

I think u pretty much know most of what goes on in my life..lol. We both live on Long Island, NY. and speak pretty much on a daily basis.e've become best friends on so many levels and not just talking about the c word. I also have 2 daughters, ages 19 and 21, who ironically too are both singers. (1 opera, 1 pop). I work in finance in Manhattan, NY. Though the C word never goes far away from my mind, I try (really try, hard sometimes) to keep my life normal tending to work , family, friends, and my daughters.
I love this board for the wealth of information and sharing that it provides. Thank you
Laura

Mtngrl 04-07-2012 11:44 AM

Karen,

Great idea.

My name is Amy. I raised five kids, including a biracial niece, three boys and two girls, with my former husband (of 23 years). We didn't manage to stay married, but we did a pretty decent job as parents. Our kids now range in age from 23 to 33. I'm from Denver, Colorado, but lived in Germany from age 1 to 4 and on the East coast from age 4 to 14.

In 2008 I closed down my law practice and headed to Philadelphia to go to seminary. This was a big surprise to me, because I don't think I'm all that religious, but I do believe in God and I was/am convinced God wanted me to do that. In 2010 I transferred to a seminary in Boston. I'm going to get my M.Div. next month, and plan to start work on a doctorate (in social ethics) in the fall.

I am the granddaughter of an Armenian immigrant and a Montana farm girl on my mother's side, and a Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother whose family arrived before 1776 and an Irish-American grandfather on my dad's side.

I love music, art, live performances of any kind, movies, hiking, biking, and conversing. I love to cook, bake and entertain, though I haven't done much entertaining since I moved. I am curious about everything and I love studying and learning. I am madly in love with the natural world--beaches, lakes, mountains, prairies, canyons, deserts.

tricia keegan 04-07-2012 03:59 PM

Great idea for a thread Karen!

I'm Tricia with two adult daughters and one son married with a little Grand daughter for me (Una) but living in Scotland so don't see her so often as I live in Ireland. Hubby and I live with my five cats by the sea in a very quiet village, I love walking, reading, swimming and spending time with my cats but also spend a good deal of time moderating some cancer support boards online and counselling at my local wellness cancer centre:)

ammebarb 04-07-2012 04:03 PM

I am Barb, a sixty three year old retired wife, grandmother and teacher. I taught kindergarten for thirty years, retiring almost four years ago. I began to write to the group when my sister was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer. I am a twenty eight year survivor of breast cancer, myself (back before they were checking for HER2). I am also a survivor of endometrial cancer. I love to camp in our travel trailer, read, knit, crochet and do word games. I live rurally in central Pennsylvania, where my husband of almost forty three years retired from the state Bureau of Forestry. I am the mom of two grown kids and five awesome grandkids, whose ages range from ten to sixteen. Love the ocean, good food, and peace and quiet!

Mandamoo 04-08-2012 02:26 AM

I love this - we are so much more that the cancer that is in our bodies!

I am Amanda, 39 year old mother to three gorgeous kids - my daughters are 10 and 7 and my son is 5. I am married to a wonderful man and we have been together for 20 years in October.

I have done many things in my life - starting out as an Occupational Therapist and finding my way into sales and retail and marketing in the health sector. Upon having children and moving interstate away from family I decided to devote myself fully to raising my children but a few years ago saw me back studying - this time photography. Through image making I have discovered a new language, a passion for telling a story with an image.

I love music of all types, I play the violin and a little piano, I love to sing. I love riding my bike on the local trail, watching my daughter play basketball, listening to my daughter sing and play the piano, listening to my other son and daughter attempt the violin. I love going out to dinner and the theatre with my husband or simply sitting on the couch watching a movie together. I am an avid reader and lover of life and living!

I am very focussed on not being passive with this disease. About driving my own bus - I nurture my body with good foods and exercise, I nurture my soul with meditation and counseling and spiritual and self exploration, I help my body cope with treatments with complementary therapies, I keep myself up to date with the latest information and am a proactive advocate for women with stage 4 disease.
I too believe in "the Cure".
Nice to "meet" you lovely ladies.

Sheila 04-08-2012 05:05 AM

I just turned 60...yeah, and although I am in continual treatment, life is good. I am married, the mother of twin girls, soon to be 37, and a son who will be 35. They have blessed me with 7 grandchildren, who are the light of my life. I also have 2 black labs, sisters, who love me unconditionally.

I am a nurse, who worked occupational, mostly at nuclear plants all over the country...I have neen on Social Security Disability for 9 years, since being diag. stage IV.

I love being creative, food, crafts, sewing, flowers...and I also love a good Bloody Mary made with zing zang and guacamole. Cant forget chocolate, another staple in my life.

I try to be an advocate for people going through treatment...hoping I can remove some of the fear for others that I felt early on.

ElaineM 04-08-2012 10:13 AM

I an a retired teacher who has taught people of all ages and all levels from pre school to adults.
I have traveled, lived and worked in different countries.
I am also a life long student with several college and university degrees. I still enjoy learning and studying.
I enjoy crafts, cooking, reading, watching movies on T.V. listening to music and nature. I also have a container garden.

jra40 04-09-2012 06:27 AM

Excellent idea Karen! It's great to get to know everyone on a personal level other than the fact that we all are HER2+.

I am Jessica and I am 41 years old. I married late in life at age 37 and have no children other than my 2 cats and one German Shepard. Both my husband and I work in family businesses in Pittburgh, PA. I am a Human Resources Manager for my family's IT Management Company called Questeq. I feel so blessed to be able to work with my brother, mother, and father and although it's hard to run a small business some times, I enjoy every moment providing for 65 employees and their families.

I love to golf, read books, travel, but my real passion is cooking. There is nothing more important to me than my family. I tried to move to California when I was in my 20's and after 6 months, I found that my love for my family and friends back in Pittsburgh is what's important in life and that is where my home is and will always be :)

Kellennea 04-10-2012 06:57 AM

I *love* this! Great idea, Karen!!

Hi! I am Kelly, tomorrow will be my 46th birthday (yikes!) I am a lover of books and art and family. I am married to Mike, my most amazingly wonderful husband is in law enforcement and just made it to the Sgt. list (yesterday)... so very proud of him! We do not have children, I miscarried in August of 2010, which led to my dx and not being able to have children. We do have a furbaby cat named Max.

I work in Human Resources and also have my own specialty paper business, designing wedding, shower, and party invitations as well as announcements of all kinds. I love paper, ribbon, glitter, rubber stamps, gluesticks and parties... So I decided to take all of my favorite loves and share them. For me, taking a thought and turning it into a beautiful piece of paper is creating art and helping to make memories... and i love that, it's what i do.

It's so very nice to "meet" all of you :)

K.

roz123 04-10-2012 09:10 AM

i love this thread too...we are so much more than our diagnosis
im new to the boards so i thought this would be a great place to introduce myself
my name is rose and i am a 43 yr old mother of 2 beautiful boys, 12 and 9. Wife to my hubby for 19 years! they are they lights of my life.
i am a retail buyer for a housewares company in toronto ontario but currently on leave. I also have my own business where i develop/create/market and sell fashion and gift items. I love what i do and can't wait to get back to it

i was a runner and did kick boxing before diagnosis and look forward to getting back into some sort of exercise regime. Although i think it will be gentler now (lots of battle scars)
i have an amazing circle of friends and family that have supported me through this journey and i am forever grateful
i am also grateful to meet women who are in the same "boat" although sad that this had to happen to any of us
nice to meet you all

snolan 04-10-2012 09:20 AM

My name is Suzanne, I am 43 years old married with 2 girls ages 12 and 8. Both my husband and I are physical therapist assistants. He works home health and I am the clinical coordinator and instructor at a PTA program and do home health on the side. After 15 years of patient treatment I was ready for a change and teaching has given me a new outlook on my profession. I coach my oldest daughter's basketball team for the YMCA for the last 6 years and my husband coaches the youngest in soccer. I am from Colorado but for the last 15 years have lived in El Paso Tx. I do not claim to be a Texan always Coloradoan.

My husband and I race mountain bikes but only for fun. We are in no way professionals but enjoy the outdoors and staying fit.

I was adopted at birth so I do not know much about my medical history. Don't know if breast cancer runs in the family or not but hope in begins and ends with me.

alicem 04-11-2012 09:03 PM

What a great idea!! We ARE more than a disease, it should not identify us.

My name is Alice, I am 55 and have been married to Mark - the love of my life - for 32 years. I was born in Montana, but moved to Texas when I was 6 and have been here ever since.

I worked for 2 years as a Pricing Analyst, and left that for my favorite job - a MOM! I have always loved being artistic and creative and was a partner in a Faux Finishing business for about 2 years.

I credit being in my current job ONLY because of my breast cancer. I am the interim Executive Director of the Texas Mamma Jamma Bike Ride. I learned about the inaugural ride while getting my last chemo infusion in 2009. It became the light at the end of my tunnel and gave me a way to pay it forward. Five months later I had raised over $10,000 and I rode my bike 100 miles for my first ever "century" ride. I've ridden every year, and have served on the Board of Directors. The ride has raised $1.4 million in the last 3 years and rather than funding research, the proceeds go to 10 local non-profit agencies who provide practically every service a breast cancer patient and their family would need. I am humbled daily by the people I meet and the stories I hear. I am blessed.

Last summer I got the urge to start my own Blog, This Home Plate: Biking and Baking Beyond Breast Cancer. It's been fun, but has had to take a back seat recently because of my new job and the upcoming wedding. I hope to start posting again real soon.

I have 3 grown daughters that we are very proud of - the oldest is 29 soon to be married in May, the middle daughter will be 27 in June and the youngest is 25 1/2 - the bride in my photo, her husband is presently serving in the Army. We also have two cats named ... Benjamin and what else but Franklin!

I tried out for the Wheel of Fortune 25 years ago, and made it all the way to the final call back, but unfortunately never got a letter telling me I was chosen as a contestant. :(

Twenty years ago, our family lived in Milan Italy for two years and we were fortunate enough to do a bit of traveling and expose our family to many cultural experiences.

I have never met a craft that I didn't like. Pinterest is my new best virtual friend! I love gardening, cycling, running, and baking.

Jackie07 04-11-2012 10:05 PM

Went to the "Just for fun..." thread http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...&highlight=fun and reviewed the self-introduction I did 4 years ago - right after I'd lost another job!

Many of my college classmates are making plans to attend the 30th reunion this coming June. Though I can not make it, I've been enjoying communicating with my classmates via e-mail and Facebook.

June 1st was the day when we were told that my cancer had come back 5 years ago. June 5th will be the 'anniversary' of my brain tumor diagnosis 22 years ago. June 14th will be the 5th anniversary of my bilateral mastectomy. June 20th is going to be the 22nd anniversary of my first big surgery - a 23-hour feat to get rid of a huge life-long brain tumor. Then before Independence Day, we will celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. July 17th will be the anniversary of the lumpectomy 9 years ago... Together we've had 6 major surgeries - definitely need to celebrate! Followed by the dates of my last home visit to Taiwan - 14 years ago!

In Mid August Father will turn 97. The following month, after the Moon Festival, Mother will turn 89... [Note: Father passed away on June 15th. He had sensed the physical changes and gave funeral instructions to 2nd Sister and 3rd Brother in early May.]

O, one of my nieces just e-mailed me about her parents' (my Oldest Brother and Sister-in-law) upcoming visit. They plan to stay for 5 days in early May. [Did I tell you Oldest Brother and I share the same Chinese Zodiac? Exactly 12 years apart, we are the 'Rat pack'... :)

Mary Jo 04-12-2012 07:19 PM

Hello There....My name is Mary Jo and I've been around here for awhile (thank God http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif). I am married to my highschool sweetheart. We met when I was 15 and he was 16. We have been married 33 years and together 36 years. He started out as and still is my best friend. He treats me like a queen. He really does. I am thankful and know how blessed I am. My husband and I have 2 grown sons who are married to wonderful women. Our 2 daughter in laws are more like daughters to us and we've told them that if we could have picked our sons wives they are what we would have picked. Our oldest son and his wife have 2 children and a 3rd on the way in July. Jennah is 11, Isaiah is 6 and the new baby in July, is a boy. Our youngest son and his wife have a little girl. Lauren, is 2 1/2. We enjoy this new phase in our life. We are empy nesters who enjoy "our time" and our thankful our children are settled in their lives and happy. We also enjoy the time we have with our grandchildren. So much fun they are. An awesome blessing.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 45. I am now 52. Breast cancer does not define me, but, breast cancer has changed me in a huge way. My journey has been a blessing and God has taught me so much that there is no way I could say "I wish this didn't happen to me." I live life differently now. Much more thankful. I enjoy each day fully.

I work part-time as a food server with our school district. I love my job. I love the people I work with and the little 4 year olds I serve breakfast and lunch too. I also help women who are diagnosed with breast cancer. I enjoy helping them through it all. I enjoy being a support and encouragement to them.

Life is good....God is good and I am a survivor in every sense of the word.

Mary Jo

Pray 04-12-2012 08:05 PM

My name is Nancy. My wonderful husband and I have been married 28 years. we have 2 great young adults. our daughter is 27 and our son is 22. They have made life very interesting with great pride and joy! We are not empty nesters just yet. (Does anyone have a rule book on how many times they can move back in? I believe my daughter is trying to set a record!) My husband works for an energy company and I have been a sub secretary for our school district for 14 yrs. The last 5 of which I have not worked much at all 2 of my brothers and my mother became very ill and passed away in this time along with my father and myself being dx w/cancer. My dad has lung cancer. So I will be going in to work tomorrow and putting my notice in that I will not be coming in any longer. My husband and I discussed it and until I hit my 5 year anniversary I will enjoy my home, garden, and doing some volunteer work. Things have been tight for a while and we have made it this far. we can hang on for couple more years. ( And if someone ever comes up with that rule book we just might be able to help my daughter out the door! lol! They are both kind hearted and we love them so.

Jeanette 04-12-2012 08:32 PM

My name is Jeanette, live in Florida the past 16 years. Just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary, Hubby was career Navy, so we travelled a lot. Have 6 children, 13 Grands and 7 great grands. So thankfull to be here and see them all grow up . I was first diagnosed at 65, had an Mrm , then two years later found different cancer in other breast, could have just had a lumpectomy , but decided to go all the way.
I8 months ago started to lose a lot of weight, over 50 pounds. Found out had mets to liver , bones and blood, so the visits to the clinic continues. I take each day as it comes and just hope the treatment keeps on working.
I enjoy knitting for charity, knit a lot for a hospital in Uganda. One of my sons is a music director in a lovely church and the priest fron Uganda visits one a year and goes back with truly tons of knitted items. So I feel blessed that I am able to do just a little part for the Lord.
Its nic e to come here and get all the info and get to know the rest of you ladies and gents , Blessings to all, Jeanette

pibikay 04-15-2012 05:08 AM

Hi
I have a vague idea that there was a similar thres somtime back.
I am 71 and Hema is 63. She is basically a home maker but a Carnatic Music addict.She and a couple of her friends give lecture demonstrations on aspects of Carnatic Music.We have a Daughter and Son both settled in the US and US citizens.Hema loves music.
I have retired and we are living alone in our old family house in Chennai (Madras)

chekmark 04-15-2012 06:01 AM

My name is Darlene, my life is not as interesting as some of you but here it is in a nutshell. I was in an abusive marriage for 4 years while living in Hawaii, got happily divorced and remained that way for 10 years and then I met Mr. Wonderful and we have been married for almost 15 years. We are from Ohio and live in Akron, Ohio. I was never able to have children but have a 28 yr old stepson that I absolutely adore. I was diagnosed with cancer right after my 49th bithday. I am a medical biller and coder and my husband (Les) is a teacher. We are currently building a cabin in Southern Ohio. We are doing it ourselves so it has been a work in progress for almost a year now but it is almost completed and looking really good. I take in rescues and I currently have 2 cats (one of which actually found my cancer) and 1 dog. They are my babies.

So many of you donate your time and energy to helping others with cancer but I on the other hand want nothing to do with cancer. I have done some walks and I will donate to non profit organizations but I try to live my life as if I never had cancer. Cancer has changed my life in so many ways. I am feeling really good and enjoying every day. Life is good.

JillaryJill 04-16-2012 05:28 PM

My name is Jill. I have a 25 year old daughter, a stepdaughter 31 and a stepson 34. All three of my children live in the area and I love them dearly. My husband Nick and I will celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary on New Years Eve of this year. Nick immigrated to the U.S from Germany when he was 4 years old. I am the author of a published book, Handbook for Managing a Productive Digital Environment and I am an account executive for a Communications Firm. I am a graduate of Illinois State University and was one of only 2 females that majored in Industrial Technology back in the 70's. My dad grew up on a farm, his mother died when he was 18 months old giving birth to a 12th child. My mother is a twin and also grew up in a large family of 10 children. Despite the hardships my Dad became an Illinois State Champion wrestler and got a full ride college scholarship to University of Illinois. His motto was I can, I will, I must which became a motto for me during my BC ordeal. I love photography, gardening, long walks outside, cooking and I am passionate about my family and friendships. I love to travel and I am curious about everything. I am a Christian and find great peace in my belief in God and his promise of eternal life. I do not want to sound braggish, but in the 18 months since I got diagnosed, I had a double mastectomy, a port installed, replacement surgery, 6 rounds of chemo, Herceptin infusions, 33 rounds of radiation, and I worked full time, we sold our town home, moved into an upstairs apartment in my 83 year old mothers building, tore down our small lake home and built our dream home on a lake. We will be spending long weekends at our lake home and working remotely when we can. I also work full time and met my sales quota last year. It was a difficult year, but you ladies on this site have inspired me to move forward...We can, we will, we must!

CoolBreeze 04-16-2012 06:26 PM

I'm Ann, mom to two boys, 25 and 15. Wife to one man. :) I have done all sorts of things in my life but I'm a high school school secretary and love it. I have a greyhound and a cat. I used to keep tropical fish. I love to read. I'm very simple.

chrisy 06-05-2012 06:20 PM

I forgot to reply to this post before..

I'm Chris.

Always first on the list because of quantity of time spent...but not the most important in the big picture...

I am a top executive at the most sought after skateboard company in the world!
I know these posts are limited in size, and I have much else to say, so I will have to spare the details. Personal details about my job include loving working with a smart, dynamic and much younger workforce who are gracious enough to laugh when I tell them I'm old enough to be their mother. I get to manage the greatest teams in the company, who have done so well during my current absence from work, that it proves they are amazing people and the I must be a good manager, right? Actually, working where I do has been the greatest blessing in my life - another "destiny" move. My 2 bosses - the owner and the president of the company have been supportive of me over the past 10 years of this sucky cancer thing, in ways that cannot be described. The way I choose to describe it is, I found true love in the workplace. From my bosses, staff, co-workers, and associates. I know I am very very lucky.

Now to those who SHOULD claim more than they get

I'm married to the man to whom I was his college sweetheart when we were in college...although I didn't realize we were dating and certainly didn't realize he was my destiny until about 12 years, with ZERO contact, and 2000 miles later! Living my life with John was truly my destiny, I guess we both just needed to be ready! He is my rock, my lover, my best friend, the one who keeps me laughing and makes me smile every day.

My hero is my sister. She would say "no, YOU" and we'd go on like that for days. She's th ultimate super mom, raising my beautiful almost 16 year old niece all on her own, while generously giving her time not just to my niece, but to just about anyone who asks. My wish for her has long been that she give more time to herself, but I have come to realize that maybe her gift is to be that person who always unselfishly gives and wish I was as generous by even half.

My goal in life is to be the worlds greatest aunt. It makes me sad to realize I may not have time to be there for all the milestones in my nieces life, so full of promise! But I still want to, and to have her know I am always there for her, and to help her become the wonderful person she is destined to be.

The hardest thing for me is that my sister and niece live 2000 miles away, so I miss the casual, normal moments that bring lives together. I really miss shopping with my sister (nobody else can laugh at fitting room follies like we can!) aNd especially just hangin out. How bout comin over for BBQ Sunday?

Whoa!, you now know more about me than my analyst, if I had one! But I guess you already do anyhow.

AliciaB 06-06-2012 09:22 AM

Does anyone know how to make this a sticky on this board. I love learning about the people's lives outside of cancerland. If. It was a sticky post it would be easier for new comers to learn more about the wonderful pros here. I will add my life when I am not on my smart phone.

Rolepaul 06-06-2012 01:38 PM

I am Paul, a 52 year old male, married to Nina, a 52 year old female. Nina was born in the former Soviet Union. She was a PhD in Geology, but her computer skills and personality were better suited to Massage Therapy, which she did professionally from 1994 (just before we married) until 2005. In 2005 Nina decided that she wanted to be an operating room nurse, and got her BSN from the top school in the state. She worked in operating rooms and on ICU floors, but struggled. In Nov 2009, an MRI showed brain involvement, which we dealt with and Nina continued to work/live/pester me to lose weight by walking five miles a day when she had time. Work was with bariatric weight loss centers with lap bands, both pre-op and adjustment of the bands.

Since December 15, 2011, Nina's world has changed location and focus. She lives at her brother's house in Houston, while I work in Raleigh and travel every two weeks to Houston to be with her. She has a car to drive, her five miles to walk, her Yoga, her Kindle, her computer, and her phone. She is not any different than a disease frr person, except that she has the same fears of everyone on this board. She has to go to the hospital twice a week at this point (but two days back to back every two weeks next week).

As everyone on this site knows the same, mortality weighs on her every day. Her diagnosis with spine involvement as well as brain involvement was devastating as my step son is 27 and just starting out on his own in life. He works in Maryland and lives in Arlington.

Our house had an offer two weeks before she was told about her disease progression. The sale of the house was handled, but the buyer delayed the sale for no reason twice for an additional 35 days, which caused a major financial burden as I had moved to an apartment with a lot of stuff in storage. We have now recovered financially, although $1000 per month in travel costs to visit Nina is painful.

I was born and raised in the US. Pharm manufacturing work appealed to me early and I have enjoyed my work. Herceptin is made on a large scale with work I did for an earlier drug. TDM-1 has its attachment occur with work I did at the same time. I did work on a project that now has implications on many of the stem cell products in the news. I worked on the primary cancer treatment for Ovarian cancer, and for colon cancer. Right now I have multiple drugs, but the primary one is for genetic Emphysema. And my foray into the food industry brought fat free yogurt and fat free sour cream's main ingredient.

My work gets 45-50 hours per week. I come to this board on breaks and lunch. I work on getting treatment for my wife and spreading what we have found to other patients, government agencies, cancer centers, and pharm organizations. I sleep four hours a night, and feel refreshed. I should walk five miles a day, but do not, so I look like John Candy and not like Brad Pitt.

Nina and used to travel a lot (Europe, Mexico, US, etc.), and now take a day of every trip to still do so locally to Houston. We want to cruise the Danube from Budapest to Southern Germany next year. We are going to Yellowstone this July for our birthdays/anniversary July 10 is mine, 15 is our anniversary, and 22 is Nina's.

This stuff is hard to deal with. Nov 2009 we were told 6 months, then two years of "two years", and then six to ten weeks, and now it looks like normal life span. I went to a counseler about stress and she said I am lucky that I am not in a hospital next to my wife due to a heart attack. I told her that I try not to stress over most things, but the road rage animal sometimes is not pretty.

All I can say is that this site has given me hope, resulted in frustration with how others are treated by docs, insurance, work, etc., and given me an opportunity to help others. There are many long term survivors which should give all hope.

KDR 06-06-2012 01:46 PM

Rolepaul,
You and I share a birthday! High Cancerians! I am so happy that we are getting to "meet" such delicious people via this thread. I am amazed, excited each time I read another personal profile.
Thank you and all for posting,
Karen

LuckyLinda 06-09-2012 01:21 PM

I am a 64 year old mother of three wonderful adult children. My retired, career naval officer husband and I have been married for 38 years. Daughter Marisa is a family-practice physician in Waynesboro, Va. She has given us two precious grandchildren who are 8 and 6 years old. Son CJ is married and an advertising executive living in Manhattan with our wonderful daughter-in-law who is a children's book editor. Son Nick lives nearby and is an IT specialist working with the NATO forces at Naval Operations Base, Norfolk.
I allowed my first 20+ years to be defined by the fact that I had polio as a very young toddler. As the only child in my small, rural CT town to contract polio, I bore the brunt of taunts like "peg leg" and "cripple." Despite some difficult obstacles and surgeries, and because of the love and support of the most wonderful parents, I graduated from college, met this wonderful man, and gave birth to and raised three accomplished children. I taught school for three years before giving that up to stay home and be a great (or at least competitively good) mom. When they were all in school full time, I found a new career as a Practice Administrator for a busy pediatric group. I firmly believe that God chose this path for me so that I would meet, and become close friends, with so many physicians in the community. They have come to my rescue during this latest health crisis with advice and the best of care.
I have pretty much sailed through surgery and chemotherapy with no loss in stride and I don't miss the opportunity to go to lunch with friends or attend a party. I refuse to let cancer define the last 20 years of my life. Your posts give my great hope!

AliciaB 06-13-2012 10:24 PM

THANK YOU for making this a sticky!

sarah 06-14-2012 09:57 AM

Hello,
My husband and I were filmmakers, mainly making documentaries and music films. He directs, we co-write, co-produce and I edited. I retired in '99 when I was first diagnosed because editing was too time consuming for me to continue and soon after that we moved to the south of France and changed our life completely and haven't regretted it.
we love to travel, garden, read. We've been married forever and he's been great through all my illnesses.
Yesterday we and our rescue dog, a griffon, (photo) drove to Italy and had lunch there. Love this life.
After my recurrence in 2004, I was hesitant to make plans too far out but over the last several years (even whle still getting Herceptin) we decided to travel widely and have traveled all over Asia and still continuing to travel.
What's nice about this thread is how everyone has taken control of their life and living it well, hopefully we can all continue to do so.
health and happiness
sarah
I forgot to mention that along with a psychologist and chemo nurse, I helped found a Cancer Support Group for Anglophones in Mougins in the south of France, we are now celebrating our 3rd year and hope to continue to help people here. We all speak fluent French as well and have French members, Dutch, Chilean, German, Canadian (me), Danish, English and American. Our temp website is:
www.csg06.therivierawoman.com

mschwab 06-16-2012 04:11 PM

My name is Maryann and I am 52 years old. I am the Regional Compliance Officer for an integrated health system in Portland, Oregon. I was born in Portland, and returned 4 years ago to take my current job after living in San Francisco and Seattle for 10 years. This is where my family is, so it's nice to be home.

I am single - never married - and currently without pets. Come to think of it, I don't even own a house plant. I have 5 older brothers and I am the only girl in my family. My father is still alive and well, but I lost my mother 14 years ago (and still miss her everyday). I have 10 beautiful neices and nephews, and 9 (soon to be 10) beautiful grand neices and nephews.

I love to travel and was lucky enough to work on a cruise ship for a time after college. That started a life long love of exploring the world. I also enjoy cooking and reading. I am currently obsessed with the "Game of Thrones" series of books by George RR Martin. Not getting much sleep these days because I stay up too late reading.

hello sunshine 06-17-2012 09:04 PM

Hi i'm nikki, i'm married to a wonderful man, have a son of 23 & daughter of 21 & we have 2 dogs. I live in New Zealand, I love life, I have travelled & intend to travel more. I currently work part time at my local hospital.

Pamelamary 06-20-2012 07:14 PM

My name is Pam, I am 59 years old and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I have been married for 36 years (gulp!) and my husband is the rock on which my present existence rests. I have one son, who is 24 and still living at home - so proud of him, and hope to see him "settled" and happy. I come from a big family, with three brothers and three sisters. My working life was in teaching, first in high schools, then teaching English to adult migrants and refugees in the tertiary sector. I retired a couple of years ago, mainly because I was sick of the bureaucracy.
For five years I have been an active volunteer with a breast cancer peer support and information service based here in Melbourne. I am currently "on leave", as the advanced diagnosis is still too raw and treatment hasn't settled to routine.
I love reading and have eclectic tastes; to me, a day without a few hours immersed in a book is wasted. My other interests include film, theatre, restaurants and travel - all of which I do as often as possible. I am quite fit, except for the week after chemo, and work out for about 30 minutes a day, as well as doing a lot of walking.
I now have a sense that my life is finite and hope to enjoy myself as much as possible in what time remains.

imdavidson 06-23-2012 03:47 PM

Hello,

My name is Idelle Davidson. I'm coming up on 7 years NED. Hooray!! This group means a lot to me. It was the first place I turned when I was diagnosed and needed support from others with HER-2. This is a wonderful, wonderful community.

I'm also a health writer. I co-authored a book with Dan Silverman at UCLA called, "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus." I have a blog devoted to "chemo brain" at www.YourBrainAfterChemo.blogspot.com if you'd like to come visit.

I also have an article in the Huffington Post this week about ASCO. The organization sets standards for cancer care yet their chemo consent form that patients sign is outdated and doesn't include warnings about treatment-related memory side effects. If you're interested, here's the link. Would be curious to know what you think.

In the meantime, it's good to be here. I don't always participate -- life gets in the way. But it always feels good to come back.

Best to all.

Idelle

BonnieR 06-23-2012 05:37 PM

In my past life I was a psychiatric nurse, working mostly outpatient, walk-in clinics. I went through a hippie phase and worked drug treatment programs. Finally realized I was an alcoholic myself and am now sober for 27 years!
At age 50 I decided to paint and found I am a pretty good artist, have won awards, etc. I consider it a gift of sobriety!
Do alot of volunteer work. Currently with animal shelter. Also a Navigator at the Cancer Center, working with newcomers. Started a Journal Group there too
My husband is an airline pilot so we have traveled to interesting places even though I dont love to fly!
No kids, 2 great dogs.
Keeping the faith.

MikeF 06-26-2012 09:26 AM

My name is Mike and Im the lucky husband of a wonderfull woman named Barb. Weve been married 31 years and Id be lying if I said they were all as wonderfull as she is. In our earlier years I was the typical young, selfish all about me husband. I dont know what she saw in me but I thank God she hung in there. We had 4 fantastic children 3 girls then "finally" a boy. December 16th 2009 is a day we will never forget, we were awakened at 3:00 AM by the local police requesting our presence at a home in town. We were told it had something to do with our oldest daughter who had been struggling to make sense of this life after a long relationship she was in fell apart. In the car on the way to this home we talked about our Kristen and what we could do to help her only to arrive and find out she had passed away in her sleep after apparently celebrating her 34th birthday a little to hard. An autopsy would be inconclusive and we were left to wonder WHY? Shortly after learning of Kristens death Barb became aware of a small lump in her left breast but just couldnt deal with it and attempted to sweep it under the rug so to speak. After several months of a nagging "pulled muscle" in her back I insisted we go to the doctor and this is when she shared her concerns of what she knew to be Breast Cancer. Needless to say after approximately 8 months of untreated activity the cancer spread to her spine and lungs. The doctors here have been great they treated the spot on her spine immediately with radiation then started Navelbine and Herceptin to try and get control of the cancer which they did for several months. Its been a roller-coaster ride neither of us would wish on anyone. There is so much hope on this site I have learned so much about treatments and the amazing spirit you all have within you. I lost my mother do Breast Cancer 25 years ago and can remember my father flying from the Chicago area to Philadelphia once a month for treatments. We have come so far since those days and have learned so much about how to treat this. God has been so good to Barb and I and our family in the last couple of years. We trust him to have His way with us and lean on Him for understanding. Thank you all for being here and showing us how to fight.

fauxgypsy 06-28-2012 08:51 PM

I also went back to that older thread and here it is updated. Before cancer, I had my own business, doing faux finishes and murals. I now teach various biology courses at community college about 45 minutes from my home. Throughout grad school I did everything I could to get out of teaching. Most of the time I had a research assistantship. Because of lymphedema I could no longer do the faux finishes and found myself applying for a teaching position. I was scared to death. My throat tightened, my palms sweated, for weeks. Then it got better. I really enjoy teaching and just finished my third year. There are so many things that I want to do that I don't know how long I will teach.
I have two beautiful daughters And nine wonderful grandchilden. My husband, Dale has been a part of my life, on and off (as a friend and now husband), for over twenty five years now and I am so glad that I have him.
We both love making things and gardening, we have many interests in common. I still paint and some of my work can be seen on my fan page on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lesli...71146169643748

Leslie

lkc Gumby 06-30-2012 05:12 PM

Hi all. My name is linda. and I was dxed w/ stage IIIC seven yrs ago. I am married to my true soul mate who didn't run for the hills when I was dxed. I have one grown dtr and 3 Grands and feel blessed every day.
I have always. known Breast Cancer in my life as it has coursed through the veins in all of my mother's family and sadly they are all lost to this dx. I became a nurse in my early yrs, but was never passionate about my work. Now, I live in a tropical paradise now, focused happy as a clam am totally committed to my my passion, which is working with Breast Cancer Patients.

starwishn2 12-02-2012 11:34 AM

Hi- I'm Jeri. I love this site! I was diagnosed in July (2012) and am still trying to get a grip on this entire thing.

I am very lucky. I am 56 years old and have 4 fabulous children (my FAB 4) and 7 grandchildren. Three of those 7 were born last year (2 are in the picture with me). They are such a blessing and joy in my life. I have been married to my husband for 5 years but I feel like we have known each other forever. He is the most unselfish person I know and the greatest strength I have.

I have lived in Utah most of my life but have also lived in Egypt, California and Texas. I have worked the past 27 years with foster children and now adoption. I was adopted at birth so working with adoption means a lot to me. I love to read, ride my mountain bike or road bike, hang out with my family and now photography. My husband bought me an amazing camera as I told him I needed something to do besides think of cancer. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about photography and hope some day to actually be good at it!!

I, like so many of you, have a strong belief in God and in a Cure! I have appreciated this site so much and the kind and supportive words from so many of you. Thank you~

Jeri

Marlys 12-13-2012 08:46 AM

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...&highlight=fun

This thread reminded me of one of my favorites from the olden days. It contains a lot of the same stuff from long ago. Isn't it great that there are so many of us still here to remember and love those who are no longer with us. I think we may be in the majority. Nothing much is new with me but I am getting older.
And I could bore you to tears with a summation of all the other stuff that has happened to me but I will not do that. It is tedious.
And I believe many of you could probably top me.
Love and Hugs,
Marlys