HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chelee's third opinion - Dr. Slamon! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41333)

StephN 10-06-2009 10:56 AM

Chelee's third opinion - Dr. Slamon!

"
Hi Harrie, So far I have two 2nd opinions set-up. One with the onc Joe recommended that has a very impressive backround...can't wait to go see her.

Then just today it wasn't easy but I managed to get a 2nd opinion with Dr. Slamon. He is a very busy man & only consults one or two days a month now. At first they told I couldn't get in till November. Its a long story but I got a call back and he will see me next week. I feel so relieved. Thanks for asking.

Chelee"

The above was buried in another post, but I wanted to give it the mention it is due! WAY TO GO, Woman! Grab that Mets Bull by the horns and put it in the ring with the best matador onc you can find.

Hope you don't mind my tooting YOUR horn for you and I know you are exhausted with this whole thing by now. You did the max and it is time to kick back a bit and let the time pass. Shall we play "Bolero" for you while you wait??

ElaineM 10-06-2009 11:51 AM

Re: Chelee's third opinion - Dr. Slamon!

That's really great news !!

schoolteacher 10-06-2009 11:51 AM

Chelee,

Glad you got an appointment with Dr. Slamon. Stephanie, hope you are feeling better.

Amelia

Ellie F 10-06-2009 12:04 PM

Hi Chelee
Brilliant news! An appointment with the MAN himself.Sure he will have just the right combo to get these mets under control.
Love and hugs
Ellie

loveher 10-06-2009 12:18 PM

So glad to hear this. i hope Chelee gets the best treatment possible. I think i'd like to meet dr slamon too.

suzan w 10-06-2009 12:32 PM

WAY TO GO Chelee!!!!! XO Suzan

michka 10-06-2009 01:44 PM

Thanks for the news Steph! Chelee, you will be in The best hands. I am happy that this intolerable delay to get other opinions is going to end soon. Hugs, keep strong. Michka

lexigirl 10-06-2009 02:17 PM

Oh Chelee, that sounds like great news! You will be in great hands for sure!!

Lexi

RhondaH 10-06-2009 02:26 PM

GREAT NEWS Chelee!!!!

tricia keegan 10-06-2009 02:54 PM

Chelee, amazing news and delighted to know you'll see Dr Slamon!
Keep us posted:)

Yorkiegirl 10-06-2009 04:14 PM

YEAH Chelee this is GREAT NEW'S that you get to see Dr. Slamon. Please keep us posted.

Jean 10-06-2009 04:58 PM

Chelee,

:) that says it all!

hugs,
Jean

caya 10-06-2009 05:58 PM

Chelee,

Great news!! I met Dr. Slamon at the Breast Cancer Symposium in Toronto this past March - he is so well spoken, nice and down to earth, never mind being the "father" of Herceptin.
Please keep us posted.

all the best
caya

alicem 10-06-2009 07:43 PM

Wonderful news Chelee!!

Make sure he knows that everyone here at the forum sends him love and hugs!!

DianneS 10-06-2009 07:54 PM

Chelee - That is such good news! You're seeing the best. That must be a huge load off your mind to know that.

Keep us posted - as your time allows!
Dianne

sarah 10-07-2009 05:49 AM

WOW!!! well done! Can't do better than that!!!
A+
sarah

WolverineFan 10-07-2009 08:17 AM

Great news, Chelee!!! Please keep us posted!

Shobha 10-07-2009 08:29 AM

Chelee,

You are always in my prayers. I am sure Dr. Slamon will help get the answers you seek and put you on the path of recovery!

God bless.
shobha

Chelee 10-07-2009 03:20 PM

Hi Steph, No...I don't mind you tooting my horn at all. :) I've just been so busy with calls & getting records sent here & there...it's been alot of work and I'll still not done. So time consuming. It's been hard to check in on the board...I'm on over load but I'll feel so much better after I see Dr. Slamon. I am so thankful he is going to see me this quickly. I still can't believe I'm going to get into see him...I was in tears when I got off the phone...it was such a relief!

I am so looking forward to meeting "the man" himself. I've researched and learned so much about Dr. Slamon over the last 3 yrs & 9 months...not to mention hearing from people that have been seen by him...I can't explain how excited I am to get to talk to him. (Finally in this nightmare of mine I get some peace of mind...that I am so thankful for.) It must be all the prayers that made this happen. Thanks to all.

Chelee

Laurel 10-07-2009 06:29 PM

Chelee, I am so elated at your wonderful news! Wow! Dennis Slamon! I am praying he has a major trick up his sleeve for you, Girl. Way to fight! I am in awe of one brave lady!

vlcarr 10-07-2009 08:16 PM

I'm so happy for you! Wishing you the best.

Chelee 10-08-2009 05:53 PM

I have been getting all my medical records together for my appt. with Dr. Slamon. I was reading all my onc "notes" and she is so FULL of herself. So much of what she says is just not true. She also takes credit for everything I had to fight for and push to get. She's something else.

I've mentioned this Her2 board before & she see's it as just a little "chat" room & that's how it's worded in her notes. She has always told me to stay off the internet! To limit my on time here. (Since when is it NOT good to research & stay on top of all the latest treatments!) I see mentioned in her "notes" many times that I was on the internet again...and mentions that I was on some Her2 board. (I've tried so many times to explain what this board is but she has no interest & won't listen.)

But I find it funny because if Dr. Slamon reads her notes about me being on "some Her2 board"...he ought to know exactly which board she is talking about. My onc it making light of this board like it's ridiculous. Dr. Slamon has met so many of us from this board little does my onc know. (Jokes on her.)
She really seems to have a problem with me going online now that I've read all her notes. Ha!

Chelee

alicem 10-08-2009 07:05 PM

I hope you never have to go back to her Chelee. But if you do, next time, print up some of Lani's posts, or some of the other informative threads. Let her read some of the "FLUFF" you have been "WASTING YOUR TIME ON" !!! I'd be interested to see her jaw drop and have you pick it up for her.

What a poor excuse for an oncologist. She ought to have her license revoked.

Yorkiegirl 10-08-2009 07:35 PM

Chelee I tell you what IF I had this Onc I would give them a piece of mind and then I would run not walk ASAP to another Onc, that would take me seriously. I certainly hope this woman is not going to be your doctor??

ElaineM 10-09-2009 10:40 AM

I hope you never have to see your old oncologist again.
Doctors write some pretty strange stuff in patient's files. One doctor wrote that I am obsessed with my health. Maybe I asked too many questions that day. I just took it with a grain of salt and asked even more questions the next time I saw him and even elaborated on the questions he seemed to be most upset about. Smile. Ha ha. He didn't write about my so called obsession again.
By the way, according to federal law we are entitled to have copies of our records, including test results, notes and other stuff. I sometimes read my file when I am waiting for the doctor to show up in the exam room.
If you want to know what your doctor really thinks about you try it sometimes.
I wish you the best of luck with Dr. Slamon. I hope he can suggest something great for you. You might want to ask him to refer you to a new oncologist in your area if he can't accept you as a full time patient himself.

Jackie07 10-09-2009 02:36 PM

Chelee,

It sounded like she's trying to protect herself by taking credit of the things you had fight hard to get.

My first family doctor, who wrote 'I told her this would not be the cause of her headaches,...' (I got the medical records for the lawyer my boss had gotten me after my brain tumor was finally diagnosed) offered me to see a psychiatrist. I refused his offer and changed to another doctor. It took me another 7 months, with increased symptoms, to finally get a correct referral to a neurologist from another family doctor (who also took credit of the referral when I was the one that had tried to rule out everything before getting that one - suggested by my gynecologist when I called and asked him if I should go see him. And the 'staff' in that family doctor's office asked me, "why do you need to see a neurologist?")

My oncologist presribes antidepressant when he saw the first drop of my tears this spring. He comforted me by saying that he'd known me for these many (6) years and that I had always been strong. He didn't even realize that he was part of the cause of my acting upset. Dispensing medicine - that's an oncologist's speciality, I guess.

When I acted upset with my current family doctor, he offered me a referral to the psychiatrist. Referral - that's what a family doctor do, I guess.

The problem is that our doctors, be it oncologists or family doctors, are not capable of (or not willing to spend time) communicating with us. They wanted to send us to someone who is specialized in 'communication'.

I'm so happy for your getting to see the 'expert'. Take it easy now and take care.

Diane H 10-09-2009 09:54 PM

Great news, know you must be tired but happy to have this set up, will be thinking of you and sending out those positive vibes,
Hugs,
Diane

DanaRT 10-10-2009 05:22 AM

What terrific news! You deserve the best.

harrie 10-13-2009 12:22 AM

Chelee!

Oh Chelee....I am just super elated for you!! I have not been around much due to a national dental convention in Honolulu for 4 days, home for 2 days, then off to California for about a wk (emergency trip). FInally home on Sat and tonight i jsut picked up on this post!!

Oh that sounds just so perfect Chelee!! Your prayers are answered!! when you meet with Dr. Slamon, you might want to ask him if he would mind if you tape the consult. I did that with Dr. Pegram and am glad that I did.

I can't wait to hear all about your visit with him!!

Hugs Chelee!!!! Yea!!!!
HarrieCanarie

ps...thanks for moving this up Steph. I would have missed it.

Unregistered 10-13-2009 06:20 AM

Oh Chelee it makes me sick and angry to hear that she said stay off the internet and that this site was fluff!!!! speaking for myself, this site has been incredibly helpful and supportive.

I feel lucky to have an oncologist, Prof. Namer, here in France who reads what I bring him off the internet - he is in no way offended because he's too knowledgeable and interested to be, and he generally knows the doctors in the articles and writes down things for me to look up on the internet!!!! what a difference.

but it's not the first time that I've heard this from patients about their doctors. Some feel challenged I think by their patients knowing things but hey, it's our LIFE.

My oncologist knows Dr. Slamon and I gave him "Living Proof" which he was very interested in watching.

I can feel your anger and frustration and now that you are going to the horse's mouth, you know you will get the best advice that science can give you by the best expert.
hugs and love
sarah

Chelee 10-13-2009 04:37 PM

Hi Harrie, Sounds like you've been very busy young lady. You sure get around don't you! I am looking forward to my appt. with Dr. Slamon since it's my onc tells me nothing. I sure got her attention when she found out I was seeing Dr. Slamon. (She told me there would be no way I could get into see him.) She told me yesterday I must have some pull? lol

Her entire attitude changed yesterday when she found out I was seeing Dr. Slamon...she is probably worried I won't be giving her glowing reviews, and boy does she have that right! I'm a mess today because I've been so busy I don't even have all my questions ready for tomorrow...I wanted everything in order and ready to go. But I haven't been able to stop...it's been chaotic to say the least.

Since I can't get my questions answered from my onc...can't wait to see Dr. Slamon. I hear he is a very good at listening and explaining things. So this will be nice since I really don't have a full picture of what I'm dealing with yet since my onc just keeps telling me nothing matters once the horse is out of the barn. I'm sick of her saying that. ARGH! I'll let you all know how my visit goes when I get a chance. Tomorrow will be a long day...but well worth it.

Chelee

StephN 10-13-2009 07:06 PM

Chelee -
God speed and you know you have the backing of all of us here. Dr. Slamon will look at your tests and you WILL have those thoughts organized to attack the situation point by point.

Rest well, sweetie, even though it is like a kid going to the circus for the first time.

Ruth 10-13-2009 07:18 PM

Chelee ~ Good luck tomorrow sweetie! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sending positive thoughts! So very glad you get to meet Dr. Slamon so so so happy :-)
Hugs ~ Ruth

Becky 10-13-2009 07:25 PM

Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy your moment with a true oncological rock star.

Then, find someone who wants to be your partner in treating you.

Love ya

caya 10-13-2009 08:20 PM

Good luck Chelee, let us know how it goes.

BTW when I met with Dr. Slamon in Toronto this past March at the Breast Cancer Symposium at Princess Margaret Hospital, I told him that everyone on the Her2 Support group board sent their regards - he gave me a big smile, and thanked me for that - so he definitely is very aware of this site. Your onc. is probably plenty nervous about your appointment tomorrow.

all the best
caya

Gerri 10-13-2009 09:08 PM

Chelee,

Please know that all of us here will be with you in spirit tomorrow. I have been following your posts and can't wait to hear how everything goes. I'm so happy that you got an appointment with Dr. Slamon and will finally get some answers to your questions.

We will be anxiously waiting for an update; try not to keep us in suspense for too long.

Big hugs to you,

Gerri

harrie 10-13-2009 11:41 PM

Chelee,
I am just so excited for you that tomorrow is THE DAY!! I will be thinking of you all day My Dear!! You are most definitely in the right direction and with the right person and that alone is one huge answered prayer.
Your past onco is unreal. Let her go and continue on your own journey in the right direction so you can make the best choices for you.
Man, I wish I could just give you the biggest hug ever! I am so just so happy for you Princess!!!
Harrie

Rich66 10-14-2009 12:43 AM

Yep. It can be quite illuminating to see what docs put in their notes. Cancer has a way of bringing it to a head but..applies to all docs and NPs. But I have to agree with others here..any onc who attempts to diminish your efforts to be informed in a life or death matter should be suspect.
But..Despite his involvement in Herceptin, I would press Dr. Slamon on benefit of Lapatinib: acts on more her receptors, potential cancer stem cell fighter (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39323) and has less cardio side effects. Can work in tandem with Herceptin as well.
I would also be curious about his take on prozac and metformin as chemo potentiators.

Chelee 10-14-2009 12:55 AM

I think I finally have everything in order for tomorrows appt with Dr. Slamon. Knowing I only have this one appt with him I wanted to make sure I had all my questions in order. I sure hope I haven't forgotten anything?

Caya you are correct about my onc being very nervous about my appt. with Dr. Slamon. Especially when she told me every which way from Sunday I could NOT get in to see him no matter what! Ha! The look on her face really was priceless. I will mention the Her2 board some where in my conversation tomorrow. I'll let it be known that without it I'd be lost since my onc WON'T tell me any thing! (Thats a fact.) I am just so relieved that of all the onc out there I get to see him. I am so tired of not having answers to my questions. My onc talks and says nothing & its just plain mean & cruel.

Actually I hope I don't have too many questions for Dr. Slamon...but I'm feeling overwhelmed and hopefully by the time I leave there I will be feeling much better. (I know I will.) :)

Gerri, I will try really hard not to keep you in suspense. The minute I can I will let you know what his recommendations are for me since my onc has NONE. I better get to bed...thank to all of you for your replies/support. :)

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX 10-14-2009 03:22 AM

Chelee, take some time to find some peace and calm. This is appt. is about getting your questions answered and getting you on a good treatment track. Don't let whatever your onc has done or said be in charge today! It's your day and time for you to get your answers.
You don't have to do it perfectly. Be present and listen and allow yourself to feel someone caring about YOU!
Much love, ma