HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   NEDenise Has Died (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59572)

Barbara H. 12-30-2013 12:00 AM

Re: NEDenise Has Died

I was not shocked, but shaken when I logged on and learned about Denise. I was waiting to be unhooked from my Herceptin at 7:30 a.m. I then had to leave for school and teach for the rest of the day. I could not stop thinking of her and her family. I give my sincere condolences to Ted and her boys, and her extended family. i am sorry for posting so late. I lost my password, was away for most of the summer, and have been busy with moving to a new classroom at the same grade level, but with with new curriculum.
Denise will always be part of me and remain in my thoughts. She was so uplifting. I really miss her.
Kind regards,
Barbara H.

Redwolf8812 01-04-2014 08:39 AM

I miss her.

- Penny

fauxgypsy 01-05-2014 01:36 PM

Penny, I think you said in three simple words what we all feel.

caya 01-05-2014 01:40 PM

Ditto here.

BonnieR 01-05-2014 01:45 PM

What a legacy she left. We all should be so fortunate to be remembered for making a difference
Keep the faith

dearjilly 01-05-2014 05:24 PM

I miss her too.

Mtngrl 01-07-2014 02:37 PM

I miss her too. And I'm so sorry for Ted and the boys. Sad, sad.

Rolepaul 02-06-2014 04:51 PM

I am trying to have a conference call with someone that can determine how to get this better under control. Keep watching here and listening for a new clinical trial. I think that five years from now this will be an issue that is treated, with a lot fewer deaths. Denise was inspiration and will be held as a model for why this needs to be addressed. My thoughts are again with all on this site.

zhelmom 02-06-2014 09:19 PM

Even i am new member,i can feel all your pain.losing denise.

zhelmom 02-06-2014 09:25 PM

Even im a new member i can feel all your pain and sorrowfor nedenise.prayers for her soul.GOD BLESS

LeahM 02-07-2014 03:23 PM

I miss her too...so much...

Rachel_BC 04-28-2014 06:37 AM

Re: NEDenise Legacy

Hello-
I was DX'd January 2009, my son was 11 months old, I am a single mom.
I am ER/PR+ Stage I HER2 -, Oncotyped out of Chemo, just lumpectomy, rads and tamoxifen.
I lived on the BC.org Forums, then formed my own group on an email list, you're all welcome to join, although we are pretty inactive on the list. We have at least one HER2+ member.
I am posting because my son just started at NEDenise's school today. I wanted you to know a few things.

There's a big event coming up, this great public school raises funds not only for itself, but also they have built and maintain a school in Ethiopia, so I was reading up on it. That's when I first saw her name:
"This year the funds raised will continue to support [our school] Ethiopia, fund our H&SA programs, and donate to the Kasander Education Fund, in memory of our beloved 4th grade teacher, Denise Kasander."

I wanted to know who was Denise Kasander?

And that's how I ended up here, reading every word of every post about her, and many of her posts for hours last night. I'm having a hard time putting into words what I want to say, but I think you all know, you said it so well. I did not "know" her, but I also lost her, my son lost her, because we wont get to know her at school. She gave us so much by what she wrote here. It often seems like being an outstandingly wonderful person we need in this world puts a target on that person.

I looked up Kasander Education Fund to see what it's about (haven't got those details yet) and I found this, and really had to post it here to show you:
Elementary School installs Buddy Bench on playground in memory of late teacher

http://www.montgomerynews.com/conten...3038498081.jpg
"The school installed a Buddy Bench on the playground in order for students to use if they feel lonely or excluded, in order to signal to other students to talk to them or invite them to play…
'She was one of those people who was always an advocate for the underdog,” [another teacher] said of Kasander. “If there was ever any kind of social injustice, she was the one to jump in and fix it when it came to kids getting along or a bullying situation.'…
The buddy bench was the first of a number of ideas that will be put into place throughout the year to honor Kasander’s memory."

I read so many here who said she was the first to reach out to them, and along with her character, she was also the one to jump in for the students, any kind of social injustice… and against the injustice of "cucking fancer" (we call it "SFBC", I got that "cucking fancer" from someone here).

What an incredible person. Her amazing grace and humor here, her beyond valiant fight against the worst imaginable, how she helped children and influenced others in her "real" life, will evidently continue in perpetuity. She's gone, but she's still helping my little boy, starting school so late in the year, if he ever feels lonely or left out, he can go to the bench in her name, and find a friend.

I look forward to every continuing event in her name.

Sending you all love and positive thoughts, including you in my prayers, and thanks.

Coux92 04-28-2014 06:52 AM

Rachel, Thank you so much for sharing this insipring story. It is so nice to know more about her. I'm still so devistated that she is gone and pray her husband and boys are healing. She sure was special.

roz123 04-28-2014 07:10 AM

Rachel - thank you so much for finding us here. Denise was truly a special part of this group. I know its hard to imagine how you can really "know" someone and have a connection to them on a on-line community but we did with Denise. We just loved her - so smart and funny and caring.
I so enjoyed reading the article about what her school did in her honour. Its so wonderful to get more information and a glimpse into her "real" life. The bench is a perfect tribute to our dear Denise
Her spirit will be at that school always!

jaykay 04-28-2014 09:15 AM

Rachel,

Thanks so much for sharing - love the bench! Denise was truly one of a kind in the best way possible

Mtngrl 04-28-2014 10:27 AM

It's great to know "Mrs. K," as her students called her, has been memorialized in this beautiful way. Yes, she was so loving and giving. I still miss her terribly.

Loolie 04-28-2014 10:42 AM

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's wonderful to see Denise's wonderful kind & giving spirit carrying on it such a lovely way.

I didn't know Denise but through her posts was touched by what a lovely & very special person she was. Thinking of her family & her friends here on the forum.

suzan w 04-28-2014 11:44 AM

This is such a wonderful tribute. I love how we are all so connected here, and how the connections keep growing and expanding. Sometimes the internet is mindboggling!!

caya 04-28-2014 01:49 PM

Thanks for this update on our beloved NEDenise, Rachel. Very much missed here in our Her2+ support group community, I can see how much see at her school and her hometown.

all the best
caya

KDR 04-28-2014 02:36 PM

Love the bench! I am sure Denise would've loved it, too!
This is a great way to memorialize someone; we did it for my grandfather.
Thanks for sharing an update on Denise.
Karen

LeahM 04-28-2014 03:09 PM

Thank You so much for sharing this.

Cat 04-28-2014 04:56 PM

Rachael,
Thank you so much for giving us this insite to more about Denise. It brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. I needed this today. Thank you. Wishing wonderful days and years to come for you and your son.
Cathy

phil 04-28-2014 05:37 PM

I also want to thank you for taking the time to share this part of Denises' life with us - we are not surprised at her impact with the children . she had the same impact with us here . I admired Denises' strong spirit , strong spirits leave a void , and I pray for comfort and healing for her family

Carol Ann 04-28-2014 06:31 PM

Thank you ... this brought tears to my eyes. But also joy in my heart, just like Cathy says.

Carol Ann

fauxgypsy 04-28-2014 06:59 PM

Wonderful. I thought I was through crying over her but I did it again. She is missed by so many.

LoisLane 04-28-2014 08:44 PM

thank you for posting this about Denise's school and what they have done in her memory. It made me smile and a warm feeling came over me. Denise you certainly were so special to so many. You and the girls keep an eye over us thanks for all the wisdom, laughter and strength you passed on to us.

Jackie07 04-28-2014 10:28 PM

We all love Denise ... Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Please convey our love to her family and friends/colleague/students/...

Bunty 04-29-2014 05:18 AM

Rachael, thank you so much for sharing. I think of Denise, Ted and her boys a great deal, and particularly yesterday they were in my thoughts, and then your post popped up.

Denise on this earth was an angel, and continues to spread her love and incredible spirit to so many.

How special that you have that connection through the school.

All the very best to you....

Marie

Andrea Barnett Budin 05-03-2014 01:35 PM

Bless you, Rachel!

The BUDDY BENCH!!! I have an image to remember Denise by. Her words live in my heart, along with her amazing joy, sense of humor, wisdom, chattiness, courage and amazing Spirit!

I think of her almost every day. Always with love. I talk to her.

So so so appreciate you sharing this info with us. How truly kind of you.

Hope to see you a lot more on this site. I wish you health and healing, love and laughter!!

The BUDDY BENCH is such an outstanding idea! I wish there was one as I was growing up. I think I needed it.

I told my 2 daughters about this idea (I have 5 grandkids) and my girls volunteer regularly. They are kind, caring people and perhaps they'll be able to pass this tool for lonely, scared, shy, bullied kids to get their footing.

We need buddy benches all over... And swings, in lines while you wait... To make Life a more fun experience...

ANDI

suzan w 05-03-2014 01:49 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I absolutely LOVE the Buddy Bench. As a retired school teacher, I can attest to the fact that these benches are needed across the land. It is an unfortunate fact but true. It is a perfect tribute to an incredible woman.