HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Spring Gardens (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32384)

Jackie07 04-28-2009 05:13 PM

Spring weeding - figuratively

"During this season of rebirth and renewal, take a few moments to consider spring cleaning. Not just your home, but also your thoughts, emotions and overall well- being. After a long winter, a good spring cleaning can lift your spirits, and open your mind to new experiences, and new possibilities for joy and containment.

First, find a way to sort out the old, negative thoughts that are no longer working for you; write them down in a journal or notebook; share your thoughts with your family or try meditating upon them in a quiet place.

If you choose to write your thoughts down, after sufficient time, put them away, rip them up, throw them out - let them go. On the other hand, if you prefer to keep them as a record of your life's journey, you can revisit them later for a reminder of how far you have come.

Then, look for a new activity or hobby that better suits this season of renewal. Plant some new seeds of change, figuratively or literally. Granted there are certain things we can't change, but others are just habits. Often, an unfamiliar experience or activity can provide motivation and inspiration. Come out of hibernation, and experience something new!

Examples:

* Subscribe to a new magazine
* Work on a jiggsaw puzzle - start easy
* Learn how to play Sudoku or a card game
* Select an author you like and read some of his/her books

Another option is to allow yourself experience something old in a new way. For example, old friendship can be renewed, old thoughts can be reframed, and old wounds can be reviewed through healing eyes for a fresh new perspective.

Of course after you are finished with your internal spring cleaning, treat yourself to a reward. Enjoy a luscious dessert, go to a matinee, take a walk in the spring fresh air. You deserve it!
After all cleaning, of any kind, is hard work."

American Brain Tumor Association, 2720 River Road, Des Plaines, IL 60018
TEL: 800.886.2282 Email: info@abta.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© American Brain Tumor Association All Rights Reserved<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ElaineM 04-28-2009 08:59 PM

Spring Gardens

Good thinking Steph.

StephN 05-01-2009 12:49 PM

Thanks goodness for Rhodies

Well , one thing I do well is grow happy Rhododendrons.

Can't eat it, but they are nice to look at. This one is over 20 years old and getting quite large. It is the early bloomer.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/cus...ilepic85_1.gif

chrisy 05-01-2009 01:49 PM

Steph, is that rhodie taller than you????

StephN 05-02-2009 08:01 PM

Chrisy -
Yes, that rhodie is beyond my reach to prune and deadhead the top now. I have kept it this "low" by selective pruning, but did not do such a good job in the worse years of my cancer fight.

We have a REALLY big one in the front that is cream with purple inside. It is a later bloomer. Red is next.

In the photo I was having a hard time with the sun in my face. It was very bright!

ElaineM 05-02-2009 08:45 PM

Spring Gardens

Nice picture StephN

StephN 05-18-2009 11:15 AM

OK - so how are we doing with the gardens, whether they be hanging, potted or in ground??

We know Harrie is not home so some critters may be getting to her lettuces.

How about the gals in the cooler north? Getting any interesting ideas for your "summer environment"??

My chore today is to finish fiddling with my Dahlia bulbs. There is a problem with lilac roots too close to where I had them last year. So, I have to shift some strawberry plants and maybe have the Dahlias in two "clumps" rather than one big splash of colors. Also did not dig up the Dahlia bulbs last year so lost about half due to the ground being too wet.

Today is sunny, tomorrow calls for rain ...

MJo 05-18-2009 12:35 PM

Delaware is having a cool, rainy spring. I harvested great broccoli and swiss chard. Bleeding heart was beautiful and columbines are very fine this year. Rabbit already ate one pepper and one eggplant seedling; however there are a few leaves left on the stems and I think they will come back. How are your irises. Mine didn't last long. Are irises usually short-lived, or is it the weather.

Jackie07 05-18-2009 02:21 PM

My daffodills and peonies didn't bloom at all this year. The irises did well for a while. Roses did OK. And I am waiting for the plantain (canna indica) on the westside wall to bloom.

ElaineM 05-18-2009 08:35 PM

Spring Gardens

I am hanging in there with my spring garden. I am getting some more potting soil tonight, so I can plant some Swiss Chard.

juanita 05-19-2009 03:57 PM

dried out enough i could get my flower seeds in.

Bill 06-06-2009 05:20 PM

Is it Spring yet? I hope so. I've planted a few plants of the following: tomatoes (diff. types of lg. and some grape tomatoes), green bell peppers, orange bells, sweet banana peppers (I had one bush in VA that gave me 100 peppers!), cucumbers, bok choy, spinach, swiss chard, radishes, carrots, zuchinni, squash, pumpkin, acorn squash. I still need to plant some beet and turnip seeds, and a bunch of mixed greens. I've got a new oregano bucket started here. Does anyone know if basil is a perennial, too? The oregano gets bigger and better each year, but right now, the basil is just growing in the kitchen window. I'm not a good herb farmer. Hope y'alls gardens are fruitful. (by the way, Steph, dandelion greens, I'm sure you know, are edible and very rich in nutrients. Much like chard and spinach)

StephN 06-15-2009 06:28 PM

Yes, Bill, my hubby is a Frenchman and reminds me that they do eat dandelion greens. But theirs are different and taste better. He does not eat ours!

Basil is an annual as far as I know. But I usually harvest all of mine and there is nothing left to try to bring back.

Just came in from picking a heap (actually about a 1/2 gallon) of strawberries from my long patch. Came back from my trip to find there had not been a drop of rain the whole time I was in Italy! Having record dry and heat for June. So that is good as the first pick of the strawberries is normally a bit tart from the damp, cool weather. Not the case, they smell so good!

Going to fix some fruit dessert with some of the berries and melon in a little sweet wine. Yum!

ElaineM 06-15-2009 09:37 PM

Spring Gardens

I can practically smell those lovely strawberries over here !!

PinkGirl 06-16-2009 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This is my swiss chard. I tried to get my head underneath it ... like
Bill did .... no go ....

Attachment 624

Bill 06-16-2009 03:40 PM

LOL! Wow, Pinkie, you're gonna have a nice supply of Swiss Chard soon. When Spring hits Canada, that stuff'll really take off.

Joe 06-16-2009 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if this qualifies as a garden but I've been busy: Top=Before Bottom: After

Believe51 06-16-2009 05:28 PM

Oh, yes it does qualify Joe, spectacular job. I think you need to take a respite after that landscaping job so you are rested enough to do my yard. Gorgeous yard Joe!!>>Believe51

Bill 06-16-2009 05:58 PM

Yeah, Joe, I think that qualifies! Nice job!

Believe51 06-16-2009 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Mother's prized roses, she planted them with me in mind and will give them to me one at a time as needed. Mom calls me spoiled but it is no fault of my own, it is she that created a monster (smirking)!!