HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pain? yes Appt? yes Relief? ???? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57121)

carlatte7 02-02-2013 11:07 AM

Re: Pain? yes Appt? yes Relief? ????

Oh, my goodness....in spite of the fact that alls well that ends well- that whole thing is inexcusable. It makes me ashamed to be part of the medical profession. I sincerely hope that they shape up and you are soon outta there running amock and spreading sunshine and sparkles. Keeping you in my prayers.

NEDenise 02-02-2013 06:58 PM

Well...just a quick update...
I've been called by two different managers/quality control people from the hospital. My main concern was that it was not something that happened often and that it NEVER happen to anyone else again - my mind kept flashing to images of someone's elderly parent or grandparent lying there like I was. Someone who perhaps does not have the high expectations and somewhat outspoken manner with which I have been blessed ;)

They assured me this was an anomaly and that heads will roll. So, like Carlatte said - all's well that ends well! :)

Feeling better each day - staples come out Monday at 9! Yay! Right now I feel a little like a box, wrapped by an overzealous UPS trainee with a staple gun. :) My doc conservatively estimated that there are 30-40 staples in a 4-5 inch space along my spine. Overkill? I wonder.

Keep those healing prayers coming when you can...I'm hoping that if I can get back to work by mid Feb, Satan's Spawn (HR director) won't give my classroom away and turn me into a sub for the remainder of the year. That would make me sooooo sad...and you know I don't like sad!

You're all in my prayers, some by name, with specific prayer requests attached
(like Barb's eyes, and Tricia's Birthday...
Leah's new giving back project,
and Amanda and Chris's fight to find that new magic combo...
and many, many more),
but all of you are lifted in prayer, as my beloved HER2 sisters...often. Good thing God is patient, and never says, "Enough already, Denise! I heard you the first 100 times sweetheart...trust me...I'm on it!"

Hope you're all having a great weekend!
Big Hugs all around!
Denise

tricia keegan 02-02-2013 07:03 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Denise ((((hugs)))) sorry I'm late coming in! xx

BonnieR 02-02-2013 07:39 PM

Denise, your concern is something that I was thinking about when I was left in a corridor. At the same time an elderly woman was brought in and I overheard that she had no family or friends. I recall being so worried for her because, in the long run, I ( like you) would speak up for myself and had a support system. She was alone in the world on a stretcher.
I still think about her many years later Maybe I fear that it could be me someday......

KsGal 02-03-2013 11:47 AM

The description of your evening, getting all pretty and eating chinese and playing games with your family, make me tear up. Im just so happy that you are home and feeling better and able to enjoy something like that, and they were able to have that with you as well. I normally try to stay very positive, but it's really difficult sometimes to see our sisters being so brave and suffering so much. Im not meaning to be a "Debbie Downer", Im just saying sometimes it makes me flat out angry how unfair things are.
So when I get to log in and see posts like yours, it sure makes my whole day. Continuing to send up lots of prayers for your continued recovery and positive results in your work situation. Hugs!

NEDenise 02-03-2013 11:47 AM

Bonnie,
If God spares me till that day...you will NEVER be that old lady, alone, with noone to speak up for her. Arizona and Pennsylvania are a short plane flight away. You've been there for me, probably more times than you even realize...said just the thing I needed to hear (and sometimes you weren't even talking to me at the time). Just name the day and the time! No kidding!
With love,
Denise

StephN 02-03-2013 03:59 PM

Oh, MY! A 4 or 5 inch incision. Mine was about one inch, but then I had only the one disk to clean up. And no staples for me, so the healing was a breeze.

I imagine you have done the ice and heat routine, and brought home some antibiotics with you. Even if you will need a walker to go back to your classroom, I hope your doctor will permit it. That would be a GREAT Valentine for you and your students!

That is my prayer for you!

NEDenise 02-04-2013 01:52 PM

Staples out!
Exercise starts tomorrow!
:) Denise

NanaJoni 02-04-2013 02:29 PM

Hooray! You are on the mend. Now my old "Nana" reflex kicks in and I feel compelled to say: Take it easy at first and don't overdo.

ammebarb 02-04-2013 02:50 PM

Yes! I imagine you are a bit more comfortable with those staples out. You are going to do just exactly what they tell you to do about exercise, right? (I'm a Nana like Joni!) Here's hoping for a great recuperation, Denise. You are in my prayers every night.

I've started the antidepressant and am dealing with some side effects, which I expected. Hoping they don't last long and the med actually kicks in sooner rather than later. I really appreciated your feedback on the issue....guess I needed to hear that they really can make a difference.

Gentle hugs, dear Denise.

Barb A

Soccermom 02-13-2013 04:22 PM

Denise, thought maybe you'd be interested in these upcoming teleconferences sponsored by Genentech & Cancer and Careers. Here's the link to the schedule and sign up.

Hope you're feeling a bit better every day!

https://www.etouches.com/ereg/newreg.php?eventid=54704&

Marcia

Becky 02-13-2013 07:26 PM

Wow Denise. What a run of it you've had. I was off the board for awhile (on vacation and then a business trip) and yesterday my mom got a total knee replacement. So, I understand your post op experience. They couldn't get a bed for her for 9 hrs and I could only go back there with her for 5 minutes every hour but they did treat her and the other 3 stragglers waiting for beds very well (we were at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ). I am shocked and dismayed by UPenn as I live in Stockton, NJ and its also close to me. But, you are up and running. I'm glad I didn't get to read your story until today (the day after the knee replacement) or I would have been freaking out that my mom (an 80 yr old who would probably just lay there) was suffering. But the staff loved her and her stories of yesteryear. Whew. Thank goodness all is well with you.

LeahM 02-14-2013 11:07 AM

Wow, how did I miss the ending of this story for so long?? Denise, you have been on my mind, and in my prayers, daily. I had a similar experience post BMX and someday I hope to sit with you, having a cuppa something (wine perhaps) and tell you about it...or not tell you about it...I'd rather play Scrabble...

....anyway...while you are on the mend...I am here and I could be "there" in under an hour...let me know if you woud like some company!

Love YOU
Leah