HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56835)

karen z 02-16-2013 09:13 PM

Re: The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012

Your guess is as good as mine but ...........yet...........those chickies look strangely familiar (and may have good luck beads from Peru in their pockets- probably why they got the caricature guy they got). And I believe the experience was further captured by on-lookers, which means there are more pictures out there that could surface at any time!
We do look surprisingly hot. That caricature guy was pretty good.

Mel3 02-17-2013 11:01 PM

I have a couple of photos, but don't know how to post them! I should have asked for a tutorial while we were together in San Antonio. Perhaps my husband will help me tomorrow:)

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with y'all!

StephN 02-18-2013 12:22 AM

AW - sorry I had to miss that boat ride on the canal. My poor leg was done in by that time ...
So, our secret is out - the conference was NOT all work!

karen z 02-18-2013 12:45 PM

I got a MAJOR lesson this weekend on how to post. I hope I remember the tutorial!

Steph's right...........not all work but a lot of work. Really there is so much to see and do that we MUST blow off some steam. That boat ride was something. Honestly the number of lights and the location of them (everywhere one looked) was mesmerizing- we were all in a state of shock and blliss. Love that pic of you Steph.

mamacze 02-18-2013 01:18 PM

Such wonderful pictures and such a good time! Work is not work when you are chatting it up among friends! Almost as good as a true blue girls weekend!!
XO
Kim (from CT)

karen z 02-18-2013 08:45 PM

I go to a lot of psychology conferences and they are significantly less intense and less long (and the talks are generally easier for me to understand!). SABCS is a TON of work. I think everyone would crack if it wasn't for some early a.m coffees and a few dinners/and walking or riding the Riverwalk at night. We are truly talking about 12-14 hour days .......day after day (talk about OMG). Thank God SABCS is at the Convention Center, which is close to the Riverwalk. It is really necessary to take a few breaks with good friends and have a few laughs. There is a lot to take in and some release is necessary for the mind and body.

rhondalea 02-18-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

SABCS is a TON of work. I think everyone would crack if it wasn't for some early a.m coffees and a few dinners/and walking or riding the Riverwalk at night.
Especially anyone who might be dumb enough to wear high heels the entire time. ;)

StephN 02-18-2013 10:36 PM

Rhondalea - as a newcomer to the San Antonio conference, you did not seem to take to heart the message about wearing comfortable shoes.

I guess those shoes ARE comfortable when you are not walking on concrete sidewalks and floors for hours on end!

The sport shoes just did not work with the "office pants" no matter how much easier on the feet that would have been! So, there WERE other sacrifices made to represent this group as the ladies we are ...

karen z 02-19-2013 06:40 AM

Ever notice that high heels work well for damsels in distress in the movies (even in jungles)? But, alas, in the concrete jungle of the Convention Center ..........not so well. Every year somebody breaks down and buys shoes at Macy's (of course, the buyer's motives may be mixed)! I bought two years ago and Sassy bought this year.........comfortable clogs and flats seem to work well. Some folks took part in a program this year in which they logged in their walking steps in order to donate. Can't believe how much we walk on an average day. The Convention Center is huge and talks are always on the opposite side of the Center- wherever we are. The booth is like an oasis as we can sit and discuss the site.

karen z 02-19-2013 02:07 PM

o.k., - have to get this in.
(1) I got a Macy's card (critical for the convention and beyond).
(2) I have mostly (not kidding) worn my Steph sweaters this winter (thank you).

StephN 02-19-2013 03:23 PM

What "Steph sweaters" means is that I helped her buy them with my Macy's card at a further discount so they would be even more affordable.

I am so glad they have worked out so well! Karen got one and wore it getting tons of compliments. So, when we next passed through the store and she got a couple more in different colors.

Sassy did her Christmas shopping there one year, having the boxes sent to her home in Virginia. Took her all of about 2 hours to do the whole thing! Just a little side bennie of having the hotel across the street from the mall that is staying open late!

karen z 02-19-2013 07:01 PM

I am wearing the "first" sweater as I write this and washing others.
Thanks again Steph.
Love,
K

sassy 02-19-2013 08:12 PM

I would like to report that I am getting closer and closer to a "normal walk" after my foray into the world of exemestane, closely followed by a stress fracture in my left foot, which led to the purchase of the walking clogs 3 days out of a boot! (How is that for a clause laden sentence!)

Still have a bit of the rolling walk when tired, but getting there! 50 lbs lighter would probably clear up my walk completely!

karen z 02-19-2013 08:20 PM

Rhonda,
This is super good news. Macy's (and your hard work) come through again!
Love,
K

Jackie07 02-19-2013 08:34 PM

Ever heard of 'San Antonio Shoes'? (SAS)

They are the most comfortable shoes around. Not cheap, but is worth every dollar!

karen z 02-19-2013 08:41 PM

o.k., Jackie............ are you kidding us?

Jackie07 02-19-2013 08:55 PM

Course not. Check it out! http://sasshoes.com/

karen z 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Thanks Jackie. Will do !

rhondalea 02-20-2013 02:10 PM

Okay...first the shoes: I got exactly what I deserved for wearing them, but I lived, so it's all good. We walked at least 5 miles a day, not counting a late night stroll (ha, ha) around the Riverwalk. (For that, I was wearing sneakers, I think, or I'd still be whining about the pain.)

I did look for shoes at Macy's, but the ones I liked did not come in my size. Those SAS shoes look exactly like what I'd like to have, so even though I'm the world's worst shopper, it's time to bite the bullet. Thank you, Jackie.

I thought I was set up here for a long post with a few recollections, blah, blah, blah, but I'm tired. My oncologist did not warn me what chemo would do to my bones, so I was surprised to become a candidate for periodontal surgery. I had no pain until several days afterward, and then the stitches nailed me. I don't know what it is about stitches in my upper jaw, but they given me a headache and incredible sinus pressure. The stitches came out today, but now that I can sleep, I really need a nap.

One thing...something really funny happened in the boat, and I can't remember what it was...only that I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. Does someone remember? (It was my favorite moment, and it really bugs me that I don't know why.)

StephN 02-20-2013 03:57 PM

Christine beat you to the punch, Jackie! SAS is the brand she would buy. But, thanks for the reminder for those who did not know about them.

There is a special store here that carries most of the styles, and some styles can be found at most major department stores.

Was NOT on the boat ride (snif, snif) so was not in on the joke, Rhondalea. Hope your mouth gets to feeling better fast.