HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stage v- a hard to swallow fact (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56990)

Joanne S 01-08-2013 11:17 PM

Re: Stage v- a hard to swallow fact

YanYan, If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering why you had to wait MONTHS to see your breast surgeon. That just seems like a really long time to wait. Also, do you think you might feel more comfortable if you got another opinion. Wishing you continuing improvement. Hugs, Joanne

Joanne S 01-08-2013 11:20 PM

Bonnie, I love your philosophy: "We all only have today. So live in it, embrace it, enjoy it.
Keep the faith." Thank You!!!

Pray 01-08-2013 11:30 PM

Joanne, That is a great pledge! every one should make it. Thanks for the post.

Bunty 01-09-2013 02:37 AM

Yanyan, thank you so much for starting this post. I hope you have gained some comfort from everyone's responses, and importantly, hope. I have to say, I have found many of the posts very thought provoking, particularly about 'labelling'. I try not to be defined by cancer - it's just one part of what's happening in all our lives, albeit, it's role in our lives is dependent on many factors. As I'm probably about to commence some more chemo soon (more on that when I have some more information to share), your post has renewed my hope. So thanks!!

Best wishes, Marie

yanyan 01-09-2013 10:55 AM

Hi Bunty ! Yes i definitely gained much hope and comfort from everyone's response on the forum !

Hi Joann ! In my case i did see a surgeon who confirmed my recurrence in March 2012. He recommended wide excision and possible skin graft. My radiologist didn't want to do radiation because he thinks i have a high risk of recurrence to chest wall and would want to save the option for later ( which he did tell me in the face but i read his notes in my chart at the onco's office ). My oncologist wanted to to chemo first to get it under control and to see how i respond. In his words if cancer does not get controlled first, it comes right back after surgery.

So the treatment plan for me was chemo -Tykerb and xeloda. I have been on those meds for 9 months now. My skin mets are confined to the same breast. It was not wide spread and T/X got them under control. The plan was to be on chemo first and then surgery. I could have the surgeon do the excision but i wanted another surgeon which was not covered under my insurance last year. My onco said i could wait for a few months since i didn't need surgery right away and the mets are stable.

The new surgeon i saw was at Cedar Sinai. He does hundreds of breast surgeries every year and told me surgery won't do me much benefit. So i trust his expertise. The other surgeon was a general surgeon although certified in oncology surgery. but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

cheery 01-09-2013 07:51 PM

Sorry you'd a rude shock.

I've been Stage IV with liver met from the get-go but opted for mastectomy as I just wanted the tumour to be out of my body. The psychological effects did me wonders as I've enjoyed the last 4 years being NED following surgery. This might be something to consider if you're bothered by the skin mets.

I'm also a believer of tumour load reduction. I feel that surgery can help to get rid of the visible BC cells (on the scans), thus leaving the body coping better with on-going chemo to kill off any remnant BC cells.

I'm no doctor so ultimately it really depends on what options you're comfortable with.

Regarding Stage 3 or 4, I feel it's just technical term. I'd a friend who was diagnosed with Stage III BC but didn't live beyond 2 years. I was all prepared to go in 6-12 months time but I'm still here 4.5 years with liver met. I think Herceptin has given us ladies a life-line. Let's try to enjoy whatever time we have with our loved ones to the fullest! :)

yanyan 01-10-2013 08:17 PM

Thats amazing Cheery! I am very happy for you! There was one right thing my previous onco said" the prognosis depends on how well u respond to treatment"

Mandamoo 01-10-2013 08:43 PM

Wise Words and a wonderfully stimulating discussion. yanyan you are in my thoughts. A xx

Joanne S 01-10-2013 09:03 PM

YanYan, Thanks for sharing your story. I, too, have learned alot from all these post. May it comfort to know you are no alone. Wishing you continued improvement. Hugs, Joanne

KsGal 01-13-2013 10:58 AM

There are some really wonderful, inspiring posts in this thread. Love it. Yanyan...((hugs)) You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mtngrl 01-13-2013 11:13 AM

Yanyan,

Thinking of you and praying for you.