HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   madubois(Mary Ann) Is An Angel Now (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43852)

Cannon 02-20-2010 07:12 PM

Re: madubois(Mary Ann) Is An Angel Now

Thanks for sharing the news - she was a strong woman, and a warm person, we will miss her. It is always hard when the list has a number of losses in short succession like this. Remember these women have been fighting as well as they can, and inspiring us and their loved ones in death as well as life.

Rebecca

Gerri 02-20-2010 07:15 PM

I have to admit this news has taken me by surprise; I believed that if anyone could beat the odds it was Maryann. She seemed to take each new setback as just a bump in the road.

Maryannn, thank you for inspiring us to live to life to the fullest in the face of aversity. You were the ultimate warrior.

May you rest in peace.

Audrey 02-20-2010 07:24 PM

Oh, what heart-breaking news. MaryAnn had been through so much, but she was like the Energizer Bunny, she kept on going and going. Although she was taken too soon, I'm glad she was at least able to fight this damn disease long enough to see her children grown and on their way... we need a CURE NOW-

sherri 02-20-2010 07:28 PM

I'm so heart broken. She was my hope when I did find out about my cancer. This is not fair! My heart goes to her family. She went through so much in her life. Rest in peace my dear.

Jackie07 02-20-2010 07:47 PM

Here's Mary Ann's last post on the Board on January 26. She was looking for information about her sister's illness...

Any one had thyroid cancer?

Papillary thyroid cancer is self contained in the thyroid. The best way to treat it is to take out the thyroid completely and to take synthroid? for the rest of your life.

I know this has nothing to do with breast cancer. My sister has just recently discovered that she has PTC. My family is floored by this. Isn't my crap enough?? My poor mother, she's got 2 girls with cancer. She is exhausted. I am bed bound because all the steroids I took caused my femur (hip) bones to collapse. I haven't walked since September. I am working on strengthening my lungs in order to go under anesthesia for the hip replacements. Once I get clearance ---- new hips!!! Until then, I do exercise in the bed or in a wheelchair. I have an ambulette take me to my appointments.

So that is where I am. I hope someone can put my mind at ease. I'm use to me being sick. but this is my sister...

Love to you all...

Love to you, too, my sister. Rest in peace.

Joan M 02-20-2010 08:11 PM

Mary Ann,

To a true warrior, RIP.

Joan

Ruth 02-20-2010 08:14 PM

This is such heart breaking news. Maryann was such an inspiration and had so much to overcome. Her poor little body fought more than 20 people would in a lifetime. I am so thankful to her for the upbeat attitude and strength she showed all of us. This is a huge loss to our little community. We need a cure...it's just not fair. This is so sad.
Ruth

LizDT 02-20-2010 08:28 PM

Dear sisters of the heart,
I am Liz, Maryann's friend. For the last 14 months Maryann has had many health problems, all caused by an infection that was missed for months. I put her in the hospital in May, again in June, again in August, and September. After being in for 72 days she was released to home care. What wonderful people they are. She worked hard, did what she was told and waited. Waited to get stronger, waited for her new hips, waited for people to come see her, waited, waited, waited. I would bring lunch and we would "Party". On Fridays before I went to the hospital near her home to EM, I would have dinner, conversation and hugs. I was afraid to sit on the bed, I might cause her pain, but sometimes she insisted. What I really wanted to do is take her in my arms and let her take my strength. Last Friday,(2/12) my husband and I went to see her and have a birthday party for her mom Tina. We sat in the kitchen, but I knew something was off. Had been for two weeks after she had her pump refilled with morphine.
Sunday, I resisted the violent urge to go see her (I wanted to give her time with her mom, mom spends week days in Conn), Her mom called at 8, I called an amblunce and she went into the hospital for her last time. By Monday she was in a coma, an infection just overwhelming her. She died at peace Thursday night 7:23, with her sister and I holding her hands and telling her we love her and it was ok to go.
The memorial service is on Tuesday at 11:00, NY time. Please stop for a moment and say a pray at that time ,,, for Maryann, her family and friends.
I have never loved a friend like I loved Maryann, I will miss her in my heart, with my heart for the rest of my life.
Sooooooo, go hug someone, and tell them you love them,,,
With sorrow in my heart and demanding a cure, I am
Liz T, Maryann's forever friend'
We are having her cremated and in the warm weather we are going to the water and spreading her ashes in the
Atlantic. She always wanted to go to Europe.

flynny 02-20-2010 08:39 PM

My heart goes out to her family. This is such sad news and I can't believe how much sorrow is surrounding us lately.

Faith in Him 02-20-2010 09:24 PM

Mary Ann was the best example of how to live life with cancer I will truly miss her inspirational posts and her fighting spirit. Her words were always words of hope and encouragement. When I felt week and scared I would go back and read her posts. She was always staring cancer down and I admired her strength.

I am so thankful that she achieved her ultimate goal of raising her children.

Rest peacefully, Mary Ann.

Tonya

Jeanette 02-20-2010 09:49 PM

This absolutly sucks. She was and is a shining star. She made us laugh and she made us cry, but we are all a better person in knowing her, God Bless, jeanette

Jean 02-20-2010 11:25 PM

Such sad news....
Maryann was a very special lady. Always positive with strong loving information to share with all of us. Even when she was having the stem cell transplant her posts were always full of her beautiful fighting spirit. She will be greatly missed.

Liz, Maryann was fortunate to have such a dear loving friend. May you find comfort in knowing that your care and kindness meant the world to Maryann.

Please tell her family how much their mother was loved here.

Jean

harrie 02-20-2010 11:53 PM

Oh no, you have got to be kidding....I am shocked and so so saddened.
Mary Ann was so full of life and energy. She was so special. My heart and love goes out to her family and friends.
Love you MA.... I will miss you very much....

Paty 02-21-2010 12:56 AM

My sweet Mary Ann, whereever you are please know that you meant a lot to me, your strenght, your words, your mails, your jokes in facebook, your high spirit and your thoughts for all. I will always remember our days in San Antonio, so much learning and sharing together. I will miss you dear, I know you are in a better place now. My prayers are here for you sis.

Paty

StephN 02-21-2010 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Joe & Christine, for coming up with those photos of Maryann at AACR 2 years ago. I was so in awe to be there with Dr. Ullrich that I paid no attention to posing for the pic!

We all had SUCH a wonderful time at that cancer researchers conference. Maryann was SO jazzed up at meeting people and talking with the doctors and scientists about her own life as a guinea pig. Their jaws would drop when they found out that she was a real live bone marrow transplant patient.

When I got to our hotel, Maryann was already there and announced that she had used a couple dozen antibacterial wipes all over the surfaces of the room and bath. She was quite concerned about contracting an infection after her transplant.

She was ignoring a developing problem with her liver at that time, just to be able to experience the conference. When she got back home her liver problems were addressed and steroids were part of that. She definitely was a "get out of my way" type when it came to her cancer interferring with her life.

Maryann's zest for life and grabbing every opportunity for a new experience will stick in my mind when I think of her. Thanks also to Liz for her post.

Rich66 02-21-2010 01:37 AM

Liz,
Thank you for filling in the details...as hard as that must have been. My condolences.

michka 02-21-2010 03:43 AM

What horrible news. I can't believed Mary Ann's fight is over. She went through so much. I admired her a lot. I am thinking of her children, family and friends. They can be so proud of her. I send them my warmest condolences. I am so sad. Michka

sarah 02-21-2010 04:50 AM

I am so shocked. I can't believe it. She was such a fighter and her posts were wonderful and so inspiring.She fought so bravely and with such amazing humor.
I also am crying.
I know so many of us felt that she was like a good friend whom we cherished so much.
I am heart broken.
I offer love and hugs to her family and friends and would like them to know how very special she was and how loved by all of us who like me live so far away but felt she was part of my special family.
I am at a loss of words, I am so very sad.
I will remember you Maryann.
hugs and love
sarah

Ellie F 02-21-2010 07:52 AM

There is nothing I can add that hasn't already been said much better by others.
She was a truly inspiring person who gave hope and courage to others.I am thankful that she died peacefully supported by people she loved. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.
Ellie

Becky 02-21-2010 08:01 AM

If anyone ever taught me how to keep putting one foot in front of the other and just keep marching, it was Mary Ann.

She was more than just a trooper and even more than just a warrior. She was in a league all her own. The best thing about her was she never complained, she explained, so I was able to learn alot about what was going on with her medically. Her situation was rare but she pulled off everything matter of factly.

I will miss her and regret never meeting her in person. She and her family will be in my thoughts.