HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hi, I am new (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39897)

schoolteacher 06-16-2009 07:04 AM

Lisajean,

Welcome to our group. I did have some pain in my chest wall and breast when I had neoadjuvant chemo. I had Taxol and Herceptin. When these two drugs entered my body during the lst treatment, I could feel the tumors being attacked and shrinking. To me, the pain indicated that the medicine was working. I had had 2 prior AC treatments that did not work.

I had one skin met on my breast, and by Saturday it was gone. The skin met is what indicated to my oncologist that the medicine was not working. If I had been a member of this board then, I would have known that there is a test you can take to see if AC is the right chemo to take.

I researched and found articles that reported some women could feel the chemo working on the tumors.

I do not know if this is the type of pain you are having, but I wish you the best.

Amelia

Amelia

Joan M 06-16-2009 11:48 AM

Lisajean,

We are here to support you.

Joan

mamacze 06-17-2009 07:19 PM

Hi Lisajean,
We are so pleased you have joined us.
What a kick in the pants you have had; first the breast cancer; next the chemo, then the chest pain and to top it off, an oncologist who seems to forget what day it is!
How hard to regain control when it seems like your life is spinning out of control!
But here you are, climbing on the tiger - I have been on Herceptin for 5 years, chemo for 1 - I remember when I started having chest pain - it was reflux - and I also think in retrospect maybe the chemo doing its thing in my lungs - nonetheless - you don't want to fool around with symptoms like chest pain - so you are doing the right thing going to a cardiologist. Medical protocol for anyone on Herceptin is a MUGA or similar heart scan every 6 months.
Now, it seems like you have had it with your oncologist and you two have hardly finished your first dance. My vote is that you move on to another dance partner. Get an oncologist you feel comfortable with - as you will be in this for the long haul.
Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing!
Love Kim from CT

Jackie07 06-17-2009 07:57 PM

Hi,

Oncologists are very different people. Some of them have problems expressing themselves well because of the delicate situation we are facing. I am hoping that you will have the situation improved in some way soon.

Believe51 06-22-2009 01:40 PM

LisaJean, just sending you a hello and how-do-you-do? Thinking about you and wondering how things are working out. Also wondering if you made any headway finding a new oncologist. If you need a recommendation, just ask, we come from all over and usually can help with that. I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you today.>>Believe51

Pipandor 06-27-2016 12:55 PM

Chest pain

Hello,

I came across this old string of messages looking to see if anyone else had the same experience. I had my first Herceptin only infusion nearly three weeks ago after 12 weekly taxol/herceptin infusions. I also felt some pretty strong chest pains around the sternum during the first week after infusion and I'm worried it might happen again after this week's infusion.

My initial heart scan and the 3 month follow up showed that my left ventricular ejection fraction is holding steady at 65.

I couldn't find the outcome of Lisa Jean's experience so I hoping someone on this forum might be able to share.

Thank you!

SoCalGal 06-27-2016 05:26 PM

Re: Hi, I am new

Hi --You might want to start a new thread with the subject: "sternum pain after infusion anyone?" or something similar:) I have not had sternum pain or any pain after infusions, but that's just one girl.

mamacze 06-28-2016 04:52 AM

Re: Chest pain

Hi Pipandor - you are smart to gauge the experience of others but at the same time I don't think I would delay alerting my doc to chest pain. You never know and truthfully you have enough on your plate. Chest pain could mean a problem that you want to nip in the bud before it becomes another big problem you have to deal with. I would call my doc and let him/her know. Keep us posted! XO