HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Well Poop - Liver Met Back (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38962)

miss di 04-21-2009 04:19 PM

Two things I forgot, I went with Cyberknife as my large tumor was too large for RFA.
My smaller tumors grew and I got 2 new ones in the mean time. So still battling those.

Be sure to check insurance, very very expensive $100,000, some don't pay. Worth it if it works.

Lori R 04-22-2009 05:05 AM

OK....for the time being here is the plan.
I met with an interventional radiologist regarding RFA. He ended up suggesting that we do not use RFA but instead use "cryo" which will freeze the tumor instead.
Considerations included:

Lori R 04-22-2009 05:14 AM

OOPs....I don't know what I hit so....continuing on...
Considerations included:
My tumor is 2.8 cm (How this sucker grew so quickly is a little frightening). The IR said his cut off for RFA and cryo (freezing) is 3 cm.
The IR indicated that he prefers cryo as he can see where he has frozen.
Apparently with RFA he can't quite tell where he has treated.
As with many of these procedures, it is an outpatient procedure and recovery time is minimal.
The procedure can be repeated.

I was interested in Cyberknife but was uncertain about insurance coverage. I could hear the clock ticking and just want this tumor ZAPPED!!

So, I decided to take quick action with the cryosurgery and in the meantime follow up with insurance and get cyberknife figured out for if I need it later.

I am really encouraged as the tumor is not as close to the heart as I thought and also is not near a major bile duct or vessel.

Again, I so appreciate everyone's input. I will continue to investigate Cyberknife and may PM a few of you as I am not ruling out a liver resection if the cancer returns.

I'll post in terms of this procedure as I hope this helps others on the site that are dealing with liver mets.

Love to you all....and away we go!!!

Mary Anne in TX 04-22-2009 08:29 AM

Oh, Lori! thanks for the update and knowing that you have a plan and it's in motion! Way to go! You're off and running and that met is close to it's end!!! Best wishes, ma

chrisy 04-22-2009 09:20 AM

Lori,
Sounds like your IR is knowledgeable and you are in good hands. It is good to have a plan. Thanks for the update, and for being in the forefront of treatment options! You give us all hope.
Chris

Believe51 04-22-2009 09:47 AM

Lori, looks like you examined your ammo and chose your weapon of war; a weapon most suited for your fight. I wish you the best and will continue to sending positive healing prayers. Thanks for the upliftung update on what that game plan it. Remember you are in it to win and we are here to cheer you on.>>Believe51

Believe51 04-29-2009 11:38 AM

Sending you a warm smile and some positive thoughts. Thinking about you and needed to say hello, Sweetie. How are things coming along?>>Believe51

Believe51 05-04-2009 11:00 PM

Lori, how are things coming along for you and the treatment plans? Thinking about you and sending a quick note. Throwing some more healing prayers out there for you to catch. Keep the faith and please post when you get settled.>>Believe51