HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   When our pets are sick (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37679)

tricia keegan 01-25-2009 01:22 PM

Rebecca, I'm so sorry about Cannon's illness but hope the Dr's will be wrong and you'll have many more happy days together..

Cannon 01-27-2009 09:11 PM

You guys are the best - thanks for all the loving support. He is doing ok, but I have already called his cardiologist once ("it says to call if he has diarrhea, and he's not having frequent bowels, but they are loose when he does have them, so is that a problem?") and am thinking about calling again tomorrow ("it says call if he coughs, does that mean if he coughs once, or 4 times, or what?").

The other issue is preparing my children for this earlier-than-expected-and-don't-know-when passing. They have not lost any people close to them (that they remember, my grandparents died when they were 2 and under). My older son has autism and when we saw Marley and Me over the holidays (spoiler alert: the dog dies in the end), Josh said, "Well that will never happen to Cannon," as if saying so would make it true. Yesterday I broached it again, saying "You know Cannon will die someday, right?" and he had a number of denial-type answers:
No, he won't.
Why?
But he just came home from the hospital.

One day at a time.

Cannon 02-05-2009 06:57 PM

Sorry to say, Cannon died this morning, only 2 weeks after being diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He had seen the cardiologist on Saturday, and was doing well. Then while he was sitting outside in the snow, he just left. His tongue was still sticking out from licking the snow.

I'm devastated, and I guess my teenage boys have become men, because they don't want to talk about it at all. We went to the hospital tonight so they could see him and say goodbye. The hospital staff were very caring.

Thanks to all of you who offered sympathy and empathy. Tricia K, I love the story about why dogs don't live as long, that is certainly true.

Taking a break for a while, I guess I don't feel like talking much either.

Leslie's sister 02-05-2009 08:23 PM

so sorry

I'm just now reading about Cannon and am sorry to see that you lost him. I can tell through your posts just how much he was loved. I will pray that God comforts you and your family.

Lisa

sassy 02-05-2009 08:45 PM

Rebecca,

I am so sorry that Cannon is gone. A pet's love is unconditional and I am sure you will feel a void.

karenann 02-05-2009 09:19 PM

I am sorry that your sweet Cannon is gone. He was so very loved and he knew it.

Hugs,
Karen

AbbyDawg 02-05-2009 09:19 PM

Rebecca ~

Since my diagnosis, mastectomies, and through chemo I haven't been able to cry one tear for myself. But I did cry when I lost my Sheltie, Abby ... and I cried tonight to hear about Cannon. He must have had a gentle soul to pass in such a gentle way. My heart is with you ....

Travel well, Cannon, and say Hello to Abby for me.

WomanofSteel 02-05-2009 09:24 PM

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Sometimes the furry ones are harder to endure. My heart is also with you.

suzan w 02-05-2009 09:59 PM

so sorry to hear about your Cannon...how we love our furry children...

schoolteacher 02-06-2009 05:41 AM

I am so sorry about your Cannon.

Amelia

MJo 02-06-2009 09:11 AM

I am so sorry. But I am so glad Cannon passed on while outside, licking snow, doing doggy things. Please take good care of yourself during this difficult time.

Cannon 02-06-2009 08:09 PM

Thank you, everyone. I am really feeling your love and support. I know Cannon was "just" a dog, and everyone here is dealing with much worse, some on a daily basis, for themselves and loved ones. It is that unconditional love that I will miss.

Rebecca

Soccermom 02-06-2009 10:13 PM

My 10 yo Eng Springer Spaniels, Tinkerbelle & Toad Lily (littermates too) send their doggie love to Cannon too.
Give him a kiss on the muzzle from me ,please!
Marcia
No such thing as "just" a dog..sigh...

BonnieR 02-06-2009 11:20 PM

Rebecca, adding my condolences. Just tonight my husband and I were talking about how our dog is getting old and grey. And the inevitable. They leave us too soon. But they leave us good memories, too. I like the idea of Cannon and Abby (and all the others) getting together in Dog Heaven and keeping an eye on us from there.
God bless you and your boys.

Sheila 02-07-2009 07:28 AM

Rebecca
So sorry to hear about Cannon...my heart goes out to you...I have been there...it explains why I now have 2 sisters...the unconditional love they give us.....what a gift...I am sure that Cannon is romping with my chocolate lab right now....Sending you a big hug!