HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   splits in finger ends? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32453)

hutchibk 08-03-2008 11:10 AM

Dana - that joint pain should disappear when you finish Herceptin - it might take a few months...

DanaRT 08-03-2008 11:26 AM

hutchibk,
I think it's the Herceptin too. My chemo nurse feels it's residual from the taxotere but I never had joint pain until I was on Herceptin alone.Thanks for sharing that it will get better.

Dana

TerriC 08-11-2008 03:57 AM

Dana, I had the hip, knee and joint pain also. Plus I was retaining water and the side effects would last for 4 or 5 days. I would just start feeling normal again and it would be time for another infustion. But I found that if we slow down my infusion rate, my joints only really bother me the first day-and only minimally. I am on weeky infusions and instead of the 30 minute rate, I get it over 60 to 75 minutes. It's worth the extra time to me so I don't feel so old afterwards.
Hope this helps.
Terri

StephN 08-25-2008 11:29 AM

Got Relief!

My physician's assistant noticed my hands early last spring and I had lots of those cracks and a bandaid on right index finger.

I told her that this problem gets worse as winter goes on and then REALLY bad when I start my gardening (even thought I wear gloves). Seems to be the rubbing of the tool handles on my already tender skin - through the gloves.

Anyway she recommended CARMOL 20. It is WONDERFUL stuff. Available at most any pharmacy and not real expensive like a prescription. (A little goes a long way.)

It is 20% urea, hypoallergenic, contains NO parabens, lanolin or mineral oil. Also NO aloe for people like my Mom who is allergic to that.

It just vanishes into my hands and I can use it multiple times a day on the worst parts. If a split really opens and starts to bleed it gets the antibiotic ointment.

However, since I started using the Carmol, my hands are about good as new! And I am on continuous Herceptin, which I thought might be part of the problem, which I am now questioning.

So, now I will see how it works in the coming wintertime.

P.S. I have also been getting my Herceptin infused over 45 minutes for years now. It does make a difference in how I feel.

Mary Jeanne Phillips 08-25-2008 11:57 AM

Dear StephN, thanks for the reply about the carmol20. I also read your story. It is very encouraging. I am now on Tykerb to interfere with the brain tumors hopefully and slow the growth in Liver, lungs, and bones. I have never taken the real intense systemic chemo since 2001 when I took cytoxin and Rfu or something like that plus 35 radiations. I am on macrobiotics and immune boosting hypnotherapy. Until Tykerb I felt GREAT even through 5 brain tumors and a craniotomy. Thank for writien. MJ