HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Going back on Abraxane (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63438)

Laurel 07-14-2015 06:10 PM

Re: Going back on Abraxane

Glad to hear it was not too miserable, Amy. Had to chuckle about the quip that you have literally years of managing diarrhea! On this site we all understand what you are talking about, but I wonder how many in the general public know that not only does cancer suck, but it also gives us the shits....literally!

Hang in there, Amy!

Mtngrl 07-16-2015 08:22 AM

That's funny, Laurel.

Yes, I've become obsessed with my bowels. I always carry Imodium around with me in a pill box, and in a pinch I can swallow one without water (though it's powdery and bitter--not my first choice!)

Day three and my biggest SE is achy knees and hips. It made it hard to sleep last night. Also neuropathy has already dialed up a notch. Not too thrilled about that, but what are ya gonna do?

Carol Ann 07-16-2015 01:07 PM

Cheese always binds me right up! :) Bananas, too ... :)

I recall a post around here somewhere from Karen about a glutathione supplement that really helped with neuropathy. I hadn't seen it while I was going through chemo, so I don't have any personal experience with it, though.

Epsom salts baths always helped me cope and still do ... you can get a big bag of salts at Walmart for about $6.

Hang in there, Amy ... we are all rooting for you!

Carol Ann

Mtngrl 07-16-2015 02:24 PM

Carol Ann,

I had a nice soak in the tub this afternoon. That helped a lot, even without epsom salts.

Then my yoga teacher came over. Here in the Boston area we have the incredible good fortune to receive bountiful and blessed yoga tailored to women with cancer by a group called Bodhi and Mind Yoga, Inc. (http://bodhiandmindyoga.org/) I get a weekly one-hour session, in my home, with my own personal yogi, at no cost to me. She tailors each session to how I'm feeling that day. Today we did some breath work and meditation, restorative poses, and yoga nidra. I feel much better!

There don't seem to be many complaints that can't be made less bothersome with some combination of breathing, relaxation, gentle movement, and tea, though I'm sure my relationship with my yogi contributes the most to my wellbeing.

Dakini52 07-16-2015 03:08 PM

Hi Amy. Thanks for keeping us posted on your status. I love the idea of the yoga; seems like a really positive thing to do. Good to hear that you are battling through the side effects and continuing to fight this nasty disease. You are an inspiration to me and so many others.

Carol Ann 07-16-2015 03:40 PM

Amy,

Your yoga practice sounds wonderful! You've inspired me to get out some of my yoga dvds I haven't used in quite awhile.

Carol Ann

Ceesun 07-18-2015 06:08 PM

Hey Amy, I am in your corner, too! xo Cathy Armos are tough!!!!!!!!!

Mtngrl 07-19-2015 06:45 PM

Cathy,

You still haven't explained how you know I'm part Armenian. A mystery.

As I wrote in another thread, I decided my "side effects" were/are actually a separate affliction. I'm extremely allergic to mold. A pipe burst in the apartment above mine on July 4, thoroughly soaking my ceiling and walls. The landlord did nothing to dry things out. And of course the worse I felt the more time I spent lying around in bed or in my recliner in the bedroom. Friday I figured out my symptoms were the same as two other times I've had mold exposure. I've slept in the living room the last two nights, and I'm feeling much, much better.

As for hair, the other day my favorite wig company, Paula Young, sent me a catalog with some nice wigs available at a special deeply discounted price if you used a code on the mailing label. I picked one that's styled a lot like the way my hair is now. They didn't have it in "salt & pepper" so I picked a light ash brown with "platinum frosting" called "sugar & spice." The "frosting" is actually closer to the white streaks I have. Pretty good for 30 bucks! I'm going to get my hair trimmed to match the wig, and have the wig styled to match my hair.

Amy

lkc Gumby 07-20-2015 12:56 PM

hi amy,
wishing you well with the new regimen. hoping it does the trick and you can go on less agressive maintenance tx.
good plan abou the wig

Ceesun 07-20-2015 03:06 PM

Amy, My apologies....I believe it was a few years back, I wrote that I took a Habitat trip to Armenia and visited France again. Dear Adriana told me she had a "best friend" who was Armenian in Cali and I think that is when you mentioned it....small world. I am in the achy world right now, too! Ugh! Cathy P. S. I was part of the jury for a civil case involving black mold a few years ago...be careful of that stuff...

Mtngrl 08-03-2015 04:31 PM

Cathy,

You have a better memory than I do!

I have switched to sleeping on the balcony at night. I wear a respirator that's rated for mold when I'm inside, especially when I'm in the bedroom. I have to be in there to pack. Movers are coming day after tomorrow (August 6). I'm leaving the night of August 7, and won't return until my next infusion, on August 24.

Yes, mold is nasty, especially for me. I'm trying to be prudent.

Amy

Lien 08-05-2015 02:55 AM

Hi Amy,

I'm extremely sensitive to molds too. I found that drying out & spraying the afflicted area with a borax solution really helps. Glad you found a way to deal with it. Often these allergies are caused/aggravated by gut disbiosis and/or leaky gut. Probiotics and probiotics may give you some relief. But do discuss this with your docs, as I have no idea whether or not they are contra-indicated.

love

Jacqueline

Mtngrl 08-07-2015 06:12 AM

Thank you, Jacqueline. I take probiotics, and eat a lot of yogurt, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I disclosed every supplement to my doctors.