HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Diet and breast cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51300)

YellowTail 11-10-2011 11:32 AM

Re: Diet and breast cancer

Navigating the road of what to eat and what not to eat is something we all grapple with. I agree with Amy as well, balance. Prior to breast cancer I ate well mainly fish dotted with grass fed organic meat (minimal pork), veggies and fruit organic as well so I continue on with this regiment however I have reduced the red meat and increased my beans and legumes. Recently, I read that when possible eat organic as it it richer in vitamins and minerals, however the organic farmers still use over 100 pesticides on their produce but they are still safer than the non-organic farmers. It was suggested that I buy my meat/fish/veggies/fruit from local farmers that are organic and have the animals to produce fertilizer so that it is organic. It is very easy for me to do this as I live in Niagara Canada where the farmers are plenty. In my opinion food makes a difference in our overall physical, mental and spiritual health.

Eating well is a full time job, LOL...have a great day and thanks so much for sharing!

Mtngrl 02-01-2012 12:46 PM

The link to the pamphlet has changed. Here it is again: http://cancer.ucsf.edu/_docs/crc/nutrition_breast.pdf. (I downloaded it this time--don't want to lose it!)

I have switched my focus from "protein and produce" to "whole grains and vegetables." The "whole grains and vegetables" idea is from The New Laurel's Kitchen. It's not just a vegetarian cookbook. It's a rich resource for facts about foods and for suggestions for lifestyle and attitude changes that include a plant-based whole foods diet. It's a nice, holistic approach. The recipes are good too.

The authors suggest a basic eating plan of four servings of whole grains and one serving of "super-vegetables" a day, plus either a serving of beans, a serving of dairy, OR another serving of "super-vegetable." Super-vegetables are sturdy leafy greens like kale, collards, and bok choy, plus broccoli, brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables. Calorie needs are rounded out with fruits, other vegetables (including salad vegetables and starchy ones like squash or sweet potatoes), fruit, nuts and seeds, and additional servings of the basics. A grain serving is one slice of bread, 1/2 c. cooked grain, etc.

I find it helpful to think about what to eat rather than what I "don't" eat, so I like that approach. I also think we need Omega 3, so I take fish oil supplements. I also take Vitamin D. (Plant based Omega 3 has to be converted before it can be used. Since I'm not a vegetarian I'm OK with a fish source.)

ricky 02-14-2012 12:37 PM

mtngrl,
Diet has to help! My wife, stage 4 almost 6 years and NED almost 4 years, eats all the right foods daily. A Quaker Oats breakfast, salad for lunch, munches almonds and walnuts throughout the day, an apple daily, salmon once a week, and so on. She also walks two miles a day and does weights with me. She's a walking miracle.
Best to You,
Rick

Jackie07 02-22-2012 08:12 PM

This page from the link recommended by TanyaRD does emphasize on eating more fruit and vegetables to fight cancer:

http://www.aicr.org/research/researc...rt_report.html

[This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-level_domains gives details about domain names.]

Mtngrl 02-27-2012 03:26 PM

The hospital gave me a book on breast cancer treatment that said to avoid fad diets and eat from "all the food groups," as if "food group" means the same thing to everyone. It also had a little information (but no context or guidance) about glycemic index. And they gave me a booklet called "Eating Hints" from the National Cancer Institute that says, "Many people want to know how they can help their body fight cancer by eating certain foods or taking vitamins or supplements. But, there are no studies that prove that any special diet, food, vitamin, mineral, dietary supplement, herb, or combination of these can slow cancer, cure it, or keep it from coming back. In fact, some of these products can cause other problems by changing how your cancer treatment works."

The last sentence is true, and everyone should let their care providers know if they are taking supplements. Also some foods, like grapefruit, are restricted in the case of certain drugs. But the rest of it, although technically true, is misleading. I'm sure that antioxidants from vegetables, fruits, legumes and grains, and eating to avoid insulin peaks and inflammation, are a good eating plan. It helps me keep my energy up. It is helping me gradually lose body fat. I don't need "proof" that it is helpful in fighting cancer, but it seems like a pretty safe bet. And it can't possibly do any harm.

DragonMom 03-06-2012 01:10 PM

Completely CONFUSED, I'm currently in treatment and just not sure what to eat.Do I eat the Cancer Fighting Foods or What? I know I need to eat to get me thru this.

I'm not a cook from scratch person. What are some easy Ideas that I can eat and how to remind me to eat

Mtngrl 03-06-2012 07:35 PM

Dear Dragonmom,

Welcome to our family of feisty, fearless, friendly people, though of course it's too bad you had to join us.

Don't be concerned about doing everything right all at once. No one can make sustainable changes in that fashion. Just do one thing at a time, then as that becomes easy and comfortable, add the next thing.

A half hour a day of moderate exercise should perhaps be the first thing. That helps calm the mind and lift the spirits.

Start eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Try to get one "super vegetable" every day--kale, broccoli, chard, collards, brussels sprouts, bok choy. A glass of tomato/vegetable juice every day is an easy 2 servings of vegetables. Have fruits, vegetables or both every time you eat--a large variety, all different colors, some lightly steamed or roasted and some fresh.

Then start eating only natural complete grains--nothing refined.

Eliminate processed meat such as bacon, ham, hot dogs, lunch meat. You really don't need to eat meat at all.

For an eating plan, try the "plate" method. I think there's a thread about that, or you can Google it.

One step at a time, one day at a time. You can do it.

TanyaRD 03-11-2012 07:29 AM

Dragonmom,
I agree with Mtngrl's response. As you go through treatment I recommend focusing on some basics, like hydration. Water or some type of non-caloric beverage is so important to help minimize symptoms. Treatment may be a good time to start thinking about the dietary/health lifestyle changes you might make as you move forward. There is strong evidence to suggest that a low fat (especially saturated fats-those found in animal products), whole grains and high intake of fruits and vegetables is beneficial not only in prevention of breast cancer but prevention of recurrence. Exercise, even during treatment is also very beneficial and may reduce treatment related fatigue.

I think you'll find these message boards to be full of support and information.

Best wishes.