HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Best time to take tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28005)

koolmom 05-05-2007 07:21 PM

Okay Xeloda/Tykerb users. I'm day 12 of my Xeloda and day 6 of the Tykerb. I have started experiencing terrible heart burn. Has anyone else had this? The pamphlet that came with the Xeloda said something about not taking antacids with the Xeloda. Does anyone know about that? I called the pharmacy and they said they understood that you could take antacids a couple of hours after taking Xeloda. I really think it is the Xeloda, but I am not sure. It burns from my stomach to the back of my throat. Is that TMI? LOL. Hope you other guys are doing good with the cocktail!

hutchibk 05-05-2007 08:01 PM

Did they say anything about Nexium or Protonix? I have taken Nexium for burn/acid reflux for the 3 years that I have been in and out of chemo... I'll try and remember to ask my doc next week.

So far I am tolerating the Xeloda really well! Waiting to start Tykerb in next few days.

SoCalGal 05-06-2007 11:23 AM

It's ALL "tmi"

I also take an acid blocker from all the chemo. I take prevacid every morning.

BTW- I've been on a Tykerb hiatis since Friday (after 30 days on) and am now on round #2 of Xeloda, day 5. I am functioning again! My doc wants me to start back on the Tykerb on Tuesday - only 3 pills a day to start. I hope that is beneficial - I think he wants me to try weaning up to full dose.

I feel scared to be off the Tykerb but glad my symptoms calmed (chronic diarrhia & nausea - talk about too much information-haha) I have been eating again - all food was tasting so sour on the Tykerb. Okay, it's a beautiful day in southern California today - a perfect day to sit outside in the shade. Blessings, Flori

koolmom 05-06-2007 11:42 AM

Flori,

I really hope you can take the Tykerb this time. I haven't had much diarrhea or nausea (some) but for me, it is the heartburn. I slept in a recliner last night as to not lay completely flat. Thank you guys for posting. I will ask my oncologist next week about going back on Nexium.

Pam (Koolmom)

koolmom 05-06-2007 06:53 PM

Okay, something else weird is happening. Of course, I attribute everything to the meds. I look like a 37 year old teenager. My face has started breaking out all over my cheeks. Just in the past 2 days, but it is much worse today. Could this be from the Tykerb? If anybody else looks like a pimple face teenager, let me know. Thanks. Pam

chrisy 05-07-2007 01:01 PM

Koolmom

Hi Pam
I got some of those, too. Only on my nose and a couple on my cheeks. Definitely pimple-looking instead of rash-looking. Mine got worse for a couple of days, then has settled down some. Maybe the Tykerb is adding SO MANY years to our lives that we are regressing to our teen years! Let's hope so - but without some of the other teen angst!

Lolly 05-07-2007 02:56 PM

Pimples too

I'm on day 5 and started noticing more pimples than usual yesterday; I'm no teenager but do have Rosacea which causes pimple-like outbreaks so wasn't sure if the Tykerb was causing them or not but definitely by this am have more than my usual share. I'll try the topical medication my derm gave me for rosacea and see if it helps.

<3 Lolly

bailey 05-07-2007 03:07 PM

Ladies - do try the Jan Marini skin care line - the Cesta cream and Bioclear are amazing and highly recommended for rosacea as well. If you go onto the Jan Marini website they will hook you up with a rep. - the line is awesome and may help with the skin.
Hope you'll try it.
B

hutchibk 05-07-2007 09:36 PM

You want the rash, right? It means that you are very responsive to the Tykerb, right?

SoCalGal 05-08-2007 09:16 AM

Day 32 tykerb - day 7 xeloda

Brenda,

That's just what I was thinking. I asked my onc if the rash was "favorable" and he said, "yes, we think so". So far mine isn't on my face, but I'm sure it will be there any minute.

I start back on the tykerb today - am starting at 3 pills and gradually going up to all 5. Will take the 1/4 ativan every 4 hours against nausea. Am seeing a nuitritional oncologist or something like that - A Dr Conklin, MD, PHd at UCLA tomorrow about supplements. I already am a health food junkie so it will be interesting to see what he says. Will ask about the ??clay instead of immodium. And about the B6's, B12's and magnesium. I'll post any helpful info.

Hope we all have a good day today. It's hard to have a life that doesn't center around treatment and side effects. I'm sick of thinking, worrying and discussing this all of the time...but it's always first on my mind.

Andi 05-08-2007 09:30 AM

The amount of B6 that they are using in the study in am in is 200mg/day in case any of you want to start taking it. I have been putting my cream on my palms of my hands and soles of my feet now for a week and taking my daily pill, of course one or both could be a placeabo, but so far I have not had any symptoms, however, I think it is still too early for the symptoms to show up.