HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Recently diagnosed @ 33 and scared (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58850)

'lizbeth 08-29-2013 11:30 AM

Re: Recently diagnosed @ 33 and scared

Lovemyboys3,

Wow, what an experience. I am so happy for you that the nodes were negative. That is awesome news.

I am sorry about your positive margins. A second surgery sucks - but this time hopefully the recovery won't be so exciting, yikes!

I can see with the KI67 score and your age, etc why your oncologist is leaning toward chemo. But I wonder if you can do 4 treatments of Paclitaxel instead of 6 of Taxotere. Or perhaps she has something else in mind? Definitely the year of Herceptin.

Or better yet - has she suggested a clinical trial?

Good luck with your next surgery. I will pray that no IDC or DCIS cells will be found in the margins.

Lien 08-29-2013 01:18 PM

Hi LMB3

Clear nodes is excellent news, but I'm sorry you need re-excision. Stage 1a is about the best one can get. I had 1b 9 years 9 months ago, aged 44. I didn't have chemo, but did have rads with my lumpectomy. I think, in your case, I would have gone for mastectomy too.

About the choice for chemo or not: when I had to decide, they said: definitely not necessary, even though I had rapidly multiplying cells. They didn't even suggest hormonal therapy. But when I insisted, they gave it to me. I had young children and for me the bottom line was: could I explain to my kids why I didn't take this option, if it turned out I got a recurrence? Could I live with the decision if the disease metastasized?

For me, at the time, the answer was: I could explain why I didn't do chemo, but not why I didn't do hormonal tx.

I am lucky, so far, for not having had a recurrence. When I was diagnosed Herceptin was not an option here in the Netherlands. If I were diagnosed now, and I could only get Herceptin in combination with chemo, I think I would go for the chemo. You have to make sure that you are ok with whatever decision you make. Chemo is tough, but it is doable, I've been told.

I wish you wisdom and good advice!
And ofcourse: feel better soon and get all of this behind you. We will be with you all the way.

Love

Jacqueline

SusanN 08-29-2013 01:24 PM

Hello!
So glad to hear how you are doing...what an ordeal with the morphine!!
I'm sorry about the margins...however, it sounds like you have a wise oncologist who is looking at different options in your "unique" situation!"
Know I'm praying for you and medical team!!

mamacze 09-08-2013 02:32 PM

Welcome LMB3!
I am so so sorry for all of this kick-in-the-gut news and treatments you have had to deal with - just a tsunami of life changing events; on stage for all your kids to see. You have shown such strength in the face of so much adversity. How fortunate for them to have you as an information seeking and yet I am sure, loving supportive role model.
How lucky for us you have joined our group. Please keep us posted on your progress. Maybe in the end a Stage 1A dx is a gift along your path in life and God willing it will not recur. Hit it with everything you've got and with grace, you will not have to hear a cancer diagnosis again.
Godspeed to you and your heart filled family.
Love Kim (from CT)

Rolepaul 09-10-2013 09:13 AM

My wife, Nina, had breast cancer surgery in July 2005. I can tell you that her roller coaster ride has had a lot of downhills, but has finally seemed to be back at the start, with Nina ready to look to return to the workforce in either working as a RN or as a massage therapist. I work with many of the drug manufacturer's to help their facilities run smoother. I would suggest that you go through chemo, in particular TDM-1 as part of your treatment regimen. This is one of those it is better to be safe than sorry times.
Paul