HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   More Brain Mets - New Plan Thoughts? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46823)

flynny 09-25-2010 07:34 PM

Re: More Brain Mets - New Plan Thoughts?

This disease makes me so frustrated. The plan sounds like a great one. Of course, I have never had to deal with mets to the brain myself. However my mother did and it sounds like the route you are taking will be the best one. Sending out big hugs and prayers to you. You are a strong, beautiful individual and I know you will glide through this with grace.

joletta 09-28-2010 08:00 PM

Cortney,
I just want to say you are an amazing, inspiring beatiful women..inside and out!
I am praying for you and your in my daily thoughts. i believe the gamma knive is goin work for you as it did in the past and you will continue on your vaccine trial and continue with NED.
Many cyber hugs sent your way.
Joletta

christie 10-02-2010 06:14 AM

praying for you dearest Cortney, you will be fine, dont worry, God will open the right doors for you and you will receive the best treatment

schoolteacher 10-04-2010 12:49 PM

Courtney,

Wondering how you have been? The UW will be reviewing my medical records to see if I may be eligible for the T cells.

Please let us know how things are going.

Amelia

CarolynME 10-05-2010 12:04 PM

Courtney,

I have been thinking about you and praying for you. I know your gamma knife procedure starts in a few days, and I am praying for complete success in zapping the brain mets. I have changed my Avatar in support of you - go kick cancer's a_ _!

Love,

Carolyn

Lani 10-05-2010 01:29 PM

Just returned from ASCO Breast conference--two pertinent articles/posters, one closer to available treatment (as drug already approved for other cancers) than the other-- on drugs which might prevent and/or treat already existing her2+ brain mets

Author on both (among others) was Patricia Steeg and she made a presentation as well--unfortunately she did not man the poster on pazopanib or I could have asked questions...

Also unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to find a USB card reader that could help me post the poster abstracts from the meeting. So here is a poor attempt

263 Brain mets occur in ~35% of metastatic breast cancer patients whhoose tumors overexpress HER2 and contribute significantly to patient morbidity and mortality. The contribution of angiogenesis to tumor growth and progression has been debated. We tested the newly approved anti-angiogenic drug pazopanib for prevention of brain metastatic colonization of breast cancer.

In this study they seeded her2+ brain mets, but they did not grow out into macro-mets or grew very feebly (in rodents)

They concluded: These experiments support a clinical trial for the treatment or prevention of her2+ brain metastases.

255 Effect of an LPA1 antagonist on metastasis in preclinical models of breast cancer progression.

Drug made by Debiopharm SA Lausanne Switzerland

Debio 0719 acts as a metastasis suppressor and induces dormancy in the metastatic site. As such, it represents a new class of potential therapeutics. Phase I trials are expected in 2011.

I know these signs of progress seem very distant, but trying to keep your armamentarium of info Up TO DATE up to the moment!

CourtneyL 10-05-2010 03:12 PM

Thank you all so very much for the knowledge and support. Lani, I will keep an eye out for pazopanib and debio 0719. And thanks for the info on Temodar, Jackie. I was thinking that might be a good next step too.

I'm suppose to have a phone consult today with an onc at UCSF to discuss possible directions after Gamma Knife. I'm wondering if Neratinib might be an option in a clinical trial setting. I'll see what she has to say.

Met with the Gamma Knife team at UCSF this morning and, pending insurance approval (fingers crossed), we are all set for Thursday morning. These pesky little buggers will be gone baby GONE!

Love the Avatar Carolyn!

Good luck with your decision on the t-cells Amelia! Let me know if I can answer any questions.

StephN 10-05-2010 05:38 PM

Yes, I will be imagining your brain as clear of mets and 100% healthy on Thursday. Do the Gamma Zap two-step.

One of the trials could be interesting.

Let me know if/when you come back to Seattle.

Barbara H. 10-06-2010 02:29 PM

HI Courtney,
I will be thinking of you on Thursday. I also had a 3cm bran met over 6 years ago and needed two more surgeries for possible additional tumors that turned out to be radiation necroses. I too am interested in new developments for brain mets because they always remain a threat.
My thoughts are always with you.
Barbara H.

Faith in Him 10-06-2010 03:25 PM

Praying that tomorrow will be the end of those pesky brain mets.

schoolteacher 10-07-2010 12:55 PM

Courtney,

Saying a special pray for you today.

Amelia

ammebarb 10-07-2010 01:51 PM

Hello Courtney. I know that today is the day for your gamma knife procedure and wanted you to know that I've also said an extra prayer that all goes well and you get spectacular results. Thinking of you.

Barb A.

bejuce 10-07-2010 02:46 PM

Adding my prayers and good wishes to the above. May the pesky burgers be all gone by now.

Rich66 10-07-2010 03:28 PM

Hey...have no mercy on the cancer...but leave the burgers alone...or eat 'em;)

Emelie B 10-07-2010 03:41 PM

Hoping everything went well and you are clear and feeling well.
Please let us know how everything went when you are feeling up to it.
We are all praying things will get better going forward.
Rest up,
Emelie

Sheila 10-08-2010 05:27 AM

Courtney
Just wanted to let you know i am thinking of you and wondering how you made out? What did you decide about the Temodar? I think you have a valid point to discuss before you start it!
Sending a big hug and lots of prayers

Joan M 10-15-2010 05:09 PM

Courtney,

You seem to have a good plan, and I'm sending good vibes your way to wack those lousy brain mets.

Joan

flynny 11-01-2010 10:14 PM

just wanted to check in and see how you were doing.

I have a friend (young like you and I) who has just been dx with mets to the brain. She has a 5cm tumor and another one. I don't think they will know much until she gets the pathology back which won't be for another week cause she is just having the surgery this Thursday, November 4th. We are all in shock and very frustrated. She is not Her2+, but any advice would be very helpful! Thank you.

CourtneyL 11-02-2010 10:29 AM

Thanks for checking in on me gals - you make me feel so not alone in this journey. I see that I neglected to post my additional good news. My onc took my CA 15-3 tumor markers at my last appointment (3 weeks ago) and they had come down 20% since the previous appointment 3 weeks prior to that. A 20% drop in 3 weeks without being on chemo! I take that as a very good sign that something is working. I'll go in again tomorrow and will have markers drawn again. I hope the drop keeps on dropping! We'll scan the body in 2 weeks up in Seattle and then scan the brain right after the holidays to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Sarah - I am sorry to hear about your friend. My advice would be for her to consider a chemo that crosses the blood brain barrier such as Xeloda or Temodar. Of course a second opinion is always a good idea.

Steph - Hope to see you when I'm in Seattle. I'll be there for scans and a booster vaccine shot on Nov. 16th. Got time for lunch? Would be lovely to see you again.

StephN 11-02-2010 11:27 AM

Such good news that your TM has dropped a good bit and that you are feeling better. It comes through in your post.

Unfortunately there are other young women with advanced cancer like you. But, you do a lot to give them hope that it is worth it to keep up the fight!

Also, good that you can get back on track with the vaccine trial here. Should be able to see you then!