HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Senior Member Check-In! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66663)

Debbie L. 12-21-2017 09:25 PM

Re: Senior Member Check-In!

Great thread, thanks for starting it. I'm nearly (gasp!) 17 years post diagnosis with stage 3 ERPR- HER2+, enrolled in the initial NSAPBP trial for adjuvant Herceptin but lost the toss (no Herceptin for me) yet still here, without recurrence (such a crap-shoot). SO grateful for the support and advice I have received here over the years. At diagnosis and for years afterward, I never expected to still be here. Like most of us, I have grieved so many losses here, and for other wonderful friends I've made in this breast cancer experience. The losses, and my (again, crap-shoot) good fortune keeps me motivated to continue my work as a research advocate. It never seems enough, but it's a little something.

SoCalGal 12-22-2017 01:08 PM

What a great thread! Ahem, senior ladies, okay sure, yup, that's me, too!! If not for this site and the advice, guidance and support here, I would not be alive today. I also miss so many of the wonderful women I met when first online. Just celebrated 10 years living with MBC on herceptin, perjeta and avastin.
Happy holidays to all with much gratitude and appreciation...Flori

Emy 12-31-2017 04:23 PM

10 yrs stage 1 until 2010
7 years stage 4...continue on herceptin perjeta
Eileen

MaineRottweilers 01-10-2018 05:34 PM

Flori, you are seriously me hero and inspiration. Happy New Year, everyone!

Mary Jo 01-15-2018 06:14 PM

Hello Everyone....I am a senior member who didn’t find this site until I was 1 year into the journey..(boy, how I could have used you all when first diagnosed) however, once I found you all you became dear, dear friends who understood everything we all go through. Here I am today.....at age 58 (dx at 45) a grandma of 5 and I am 12 1/2 year survivor. I am incredibly grateful for this “room,” for you all and for the life I’ve been given.

kk1 01-17-2018 02:56 PM

I have not visited this site in about 6 months and I am not sure why I decided to check-in today -- maybe it was a prod from Amy. I am sad to read of her passing I so admired her spirit.

I often think of many of the strong and caring people from this board, both here and gone , and I find it hard to believe that I have been a senior member from 2004 living with Stage IV for 14 years! The first 6 where pretty rough and unstable but I have now been NED for the last 8!

I am so grateful to everyone who contributes to this site and who helped me get through some of the darkest and scary days. I never thought I would ever experience a "normal" life again, where the sadness of cancer and the thought of leaving my loved ones was not the first thing I thought of when I woke in the the morning and the last thought before sleep.

Sometimes I just prayed to have a day when I was not overwhelmed by sadness. Happily it has now been years since I felt like that and I just wanted all those who struggle to know that no matter how dark it may seem it is possible to come back into the light, thanks to the support here.

Wishing you all a healthy or at least stable new year
Kay