HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Remembering jml our Jessica (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58308)

ElaineM 06-08-2013 02:41 PM

Re: Remembering jml our Jessica

Thanks for this post. Wonderful and such a tribute to Jessica.

Jackie07 06-08-2013 05:22 PM

Found her very first posting on this site in 2006. What a wonderful soul!

Angela~
I'm so sorry that you're going thru the shock, disbelief, guilt, sadness and all the other confusing emotions that come with this disease.
I was diagnosed Stage IV (liver mets) since my primary dx in May 2002. It was particularly frightening because my perception of Stage IV disease was so dark & ominious. But I'd never met any Stage IV'er like ME!! If I knew then what I know NOW...!
I have continued to teach Pilates throughout (4 days after the initial lumpectomy,and also 6 days after a mastectomy, as well resumed teaching after a liver resection) w/a post-op drain still in place, stitches and even a portable pump w/a continuous IV for one treatment I was on, but most importantly, I have continued living well and being well. I hope and believe that being active & visible and sharing my experience with women (& a few men) who take my classes will help change their perceptions of this disease.
True, our journey as Stage IV'ers can be quite a bit bumpier that early stage BC'ers, with more complex treatment histories, more surgeries & procedures, requiring us to be more diligent about our care. And unfortunately as Stage IV'ers there is no 5-year mark to look towards to be deemed "CURED".
BUT very little of my life these past 4 1/2 years has actually felt dark & ominous! And you will find so many wonderful, knowledgable, empowered friends on this site who can say the same & offer you wisdom, encouragement, comfort & support, in every way possible. We all have continued to have full, rich, active lives as we are survivING this disease.
We know more today about this disease & her2 than we did even a short 5 years ago. We have more treatment options. We have longer term data to support our survivability. Be sure to check out Christine's note on 12/24 - so encouraging, SO EMPOWERING!
We are Changing the Face of Breast Cancer. And survival begins the day you're diagnosed, not after 5 years. I thank God for this site & am so grateful to Christine & Joe for the community they've created for us. And now I know I'm not a Stage IV Anomaly - I've found SO MANY women "like ME" here!

Stay strong, and when you can't, LEAN HARD!

Keep the Faith~
Jessica

caya 06-08-2013 07:04 PM

It's such a shock to see another sister earn her wings. I hope Jessica is soaring up there with the others we have recently lost here.

all the best
caya

Mtngrl 06-13-2013 09:05 PM

Sad, sad, sad.

I needed to know this, but I wish it were not true.

suzan w 06-14-2013 08:09 AM

We have had an overload of sadness. I am so sorry to learn about Jessica. It is always a shock.

KristinSchwick 06-14-2013 01:57 PM

She will live on in all our hearts.

Pray 06-15-2013 09:41 PM

Jessica is missed dearly! She gave so much of her self here. She always had so much love and support to share with all of us. She was an awesome fighter, she taught me how to fight. Gods blessings to her family. I can only imagine the loss her family must feel

JillaryJill 06-16-2013 07:40 PM

Jessica, I wish you eternal life in Heaven with our Lord.

karen z 06-16-2013 09:37 PM

By Michelle E. Shaw
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

For Jessica Malia Lucas, her enjoyment of life did not end just because doctors told her she had six months left to live. Armed with a diagnosis of stage four breast cancer at the age of 33, Lucas decided not to dwell on what the doctors said but on the things in life she wanted to experience.

“She wanted people to know that you could be a functioning person, and live your life with cancer,” said long-time friend Ellen Khoury. “She wanted to send that message so that people had hope, and that they wouldn’t think, ‘Oh I’m gonna die,’ as soon as they got diagnosed.”

In 2008, Lucas opened Intown Pilates, Khoury said. A certified Pilates instructor, Lucas regularly saw clients and taught classes.

“Her health went up and down, but she never quit,” her friend said. “By the fifth time she lost her hair, she was bummed, but she never had a pity party.”

Lucas took the six months doctors gave her and stretched it into 11 years. She blogged often, and just last month on the anniversary of her diagnosis Lucas posted that her time was filled with “breath taking highs & the heart breaking lows.”

“I will keep fighting, kicking and swinging, waiting for more treatment options to be approved and praying that a cure comes or this disease just stops and NED (no evidence of disease) stays forever,” she wrote on May 17. Lucas, of Atlanta, died June 6. She was 44. She requested her body be donated to MedCure, Inc. for scientific research.

A funeral mass is planned for 11 a.m. Saturday at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Atlanta.

The youngest of four daughters of a diplomat, Lucas was born in Baton Rouge, La., but grew up all over the world. She attended Jakarta International School in Jakarta, Indonesia, and graduated high school in Virginia. She earned a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology, with plans to become a physical therapist, but something else caught her attention, one of her sisters said.

“She decided she wanted to act and dance,” said Johanna Lucas, of Sausalito, Calif.

Jessica Lucas’ acting career included credits with Harry Connick Jr., Richard Gere and Channing Tatum, her sister said.
Throughout her illness, Lucas continued to amaze and empower friends and family with her positive outlook on life.

“Of the many things she was, becoming a teacher and a hero were not things she asked for,” said friend Tommy Housworth. “But when confronted with her circumstances, she handled both of those roles with grace and generosity.”

In addition to her sister, Lucas is survived by her mother, Elena Lucas of Honolulu, Hawaii; and sisters, Janice Lucas Volk of Hermosa Beach, Calif., and Juliet Lucas of Honolulu, Hawaii.

NEDenise 06-16-2013 09:44 PM

Karen,
What a beautiful 'picture' of Jessica's life and spirit.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Denise

Paty 06-16-2013 11:12 PM

Thank you for sharing Karen, what a wonderful tribute and description of amazing Jessica.

SoCalGal 06-24-2013 10:41 AM

Oh, Shocked, saddened, and yet, inspired. JML left a good "map" for living with stage 4 cancer...

Shobha 06-24-2013 11:06 AM

So sad to lose Jessica - She gave me so much strength during the times I would freak out over every little pain or pimple. It is difficult for me to believe she is no longer with us...just shocked right now...

NEDenise 07-06-2013 07:01 PM

Here's the link to the beautiful video Karen z posted:

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/video?au...clipId=7081382

dearjilly 07-08-2013 06:02 PM

I am shocked, and sad. Jessica was truly an inspiration.

Mtngrl 08-14-2013 11:02 AM

Denise--Thanks for the alternate link to the video. Karen's didn't work by the time I saw it.

Stupid cancer.

But--a life well lived. That's really all any of us can hope for, right?

rinaina 09-15-2013 12:48 PM

So very sorry to hear of yet another one of our her2 sisters demise. It saddens me how many have lost their battle. I like to think they are all carrying on now in a better place without sickness.

Adriana Mangus 09-21-2013 04:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I don't know what to say, I have been away for awhile on a dream vacation that I had to put on hold for the longest six years of my life due to my husband's stroke in October 2007.

I feel so blessed I was able to fulfill this dream and enjoyed a long European vacation with my daughter Michelle. We had a great time!!!

Frankly I haven't been visiting the site lately, not because I don't care, I do, but I'm scared knowing that my disease has progressed and I know eventually there will be a point of no return. I'm scared.

I just read about Jessica's passing; before it was Brenda. The statistics don't lie, at least for us stage IV's, even though I considered myself a very especial and unique patient in that I haven't experienced any symptoms since the return of my disease in 2003. Even my oncologist is surprised at how long my body has been able to take all different type of drugs with minimum or no side effects. But, can't help to feel scared with the knowledge that there is no cure, at least not an immediate cure at this stage.

I want to thank everyone on this site who has been with me from the beginning of my disease; I consider you all my friends-- you know who you are.

One in particular who's no longer with us deserves my most profound gratitude and love, with her encouragement and words of compassion she made my treatments much, much easier to take--our very especial angel Sheila!!!

Thank you everyone for your love and support.

LeighHa 01-08-2016 08:54 AM

My name is Leigh Hays and I live in Atlanta. Jessica was my bestie, my sister from another mister. I was sharing Jessica's story with someone and they asked if they could share her story. As i was googling her for links of her story for him, this post came up. It's taken me all of this time since her passing to have any strength to pop in here and say hello.

Most of all, I wanted to share with you all, how much you all and this group meant to Jessica. She was often quiet about you all in terms of details but she would mention bits and pieces and most of all how much you helped and supported her.

Her dog - Polo - came to live with me. He is doing well (snoring as i type this) and will turn 11 yr in March. He visits his favorite places and people still here in Atlanta. My boy - Gus - and Polo had a bromance and he often stayed here while Jessica traveled. And the four of us would often walk the dogs and hang out.

Her family of friends in Atlanta (and across the country) still gather and celebrate her. Jan 4 she would've turned 47 yrs. and we had our potluck lunch just like we did with Jessica. She is still a strong presence for us and a testament to her fierceness and generous spirit that we all still gather together to celebrate her and have a slice of cake. I'm still strongly tied to JML's family. They are well and like everyone - miss her enormously.

Best to you all - Leigh

europa 01-08-2016 02:09 PM

Hi!
When I saw this thread pop back up it made me smile because I got to scroll through some of our angels that have left us. And we've had many amazing women leave this world. Jessica is one. Thank you for posting on our board. I remember emailing with Jessica about dating of all things. I really miss her. When she died I bought an orchid and named it JML. When she blooms I always feel like Jessica is gracing my home with her spirit.

Give a belly rub to Polo from me.

Thanks again for posting.