HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   SoCalGal feeling So-so (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64564)

StephN 03-18-2016 02:24 PM

Re: SoCalGal feeling So-so

So very glad to hear you have a plan and family coming to help you.
Here is an article on the type of back surgery I had, of the "minimally invasive" sort. It worked very well, and I can garden, lift and carry things, bend and wash my car, to mention a few tasks.

http://seanarminmd.com/metrx-discectomydecompression/

With what you have already endured, you probably have all the accoutrements, such as potty chair with side arms, walker, cane. I needed all that plus a wheel chair.

My problem was also at L-5. All best vibes/prayers/positivity from here and beyond.

SoCalGal 03-18-2016 07:02 PM

Steph, thanks for the link :) I have none of the accoutrements!! All he mentioned was an ice machine that he'll have delivered. There's going to be cleaning and shaving but supposed to be MINIMAL - time will tell. And a Sandy Coflex put in place, as a friend called it. I'll ask if he thinks I need any other items. Thanks thanks thanks!

SoCalGal 03-18-2016 07:10 PM

Meant to say thanks Laurel and Julie/Irvine Friend. And everyone. I can't say a big enough thanks for your love care and support. At my pre-op today the young nurse asked what metastatic breast cancer was. When I told her (sounding very much like an infomercial) she said, "oh how sad". I don't think in 20 years I've ever had that response. I just looked at her and said quite honestly I don't feel sad from having cancer. But this F&@king sciatic pain is a true motherfu$&@r!! She was speechless. LOL LOL LOL.

waterdreamer 03-19-2016 12:40 AM

Flori, I hope you are no longer feeling pain, ok, I am praying. I wanted to mention that when I had bone pain from mets, a heating pad was the only thing that helped. Including Far Infrared Sauna. I am surprised to hear about you using ice - but that may be for burns from radiation?

SoCalGal 03-19-2016 10:01 AM

waterdreamer - nerve pain might be different than bone pain, it's all horrible. Ice for inflammation and also dulls pain, maybe just by distracting pain signals? I also use heating pads, and those microwavable bean bag neck and back wraps from Bed Bath, and sometimes lay on ice while heat is on legs/hips/head - whatever. I tried the tens machine as well, it was less effective because in order to disrupt pain signal it had to be turned up too high, and I couldn't seem to find the "sweet spot" on the setting. I HOPE HOPE HOPE to be at very least post surgery-pain managed and then no pain soon!!!!!!!

MaineRottweilers 03-19-2016 02:04 PM

Praying your relief is instant post op. You've been so tough through all of this. Loved your response to your pre-op nurse. LMFatAO! Pain SUCKS!

Laurel 03-19-2016 04:34 PM

Flori,

Just read your latest and laughed out loud. Nothing like initiating the uninitiated to the world of cancer and pain and the feisty people who battle it! I will wager she will never forget you throughout her (hopefully) long and well executed career!

I was wondering about the TENS machine. Too bad that was a no go. Praying this surgery does the trick and you are out and about kicking butt and taking prisoners in short order!

StephN 03-19-2016 10:26 PM

No, I am not sad about cancer either, and the back/leg pain was as you say!!!

Much worse than any pain from the tumors or the treatment - even taxotears!

I mentioned the assistance items as I thought with the level of distress you have, some of those would be helpful. The last San Antonio Symposium I attended was with the help of a cane for walking/balance.

Heating pad was also helpful to me, with ice gel pack alternating till inflammation under control.

Let us know when the Big Day is set.

SoCalGal 03-21-2016 09:53 PM

Surgery moved to Wed crack of dawn. Met w Dr again today. I got a wide stretchy belt for post surgery fashion looks, spring 2016. Went over details. Am getting an ice machine delivered to the hospital that I'll take home (who carries this out for me???? The good humor man?!) There was a lot of discussion on if the insurance will pay for the ice machine. Finally I said, "how much is the friggin machine rental? If it's less than $300,000.00 I'll just pay for it!!!" What is wrong with these people? I'm in so much pain I can't stand around and listen to them go back and forth over ice.

So, the show is almost on the road. Hoping for a good outcome, to be out of pain and that radiation from Jan doesn't screw up healing.

Cuck Fancer

jaykay 03-22-2016 08:53 AM

Good luck tomorrow!

MaineRottweilers 03-22-2016 01:25 PM

You moved it up!!! That is fantastic! It's just a few more hours now. Here's a virtual handholding <squeeze>. It's going to be OK. It's going to be great, you are going to dance outta that place on Thursday.

Becky 03-23-2016 09:22 AM

I am thinking about you too!

Carol Ann 03-23-2016 02:26 PM

Me too!!

Carol Ann

Laurel 03-23-2016 03:35 PM

Flori-girl,

I wasn't on until now and did not know this is your big day. It's 6:30 EST so I am assuming you may be coming out of surgery by now. Hoping and praying all went will and you will soon be pain free!

Jackie07 03-26-2016 10:23 AM

Adding prayers for good pain control and speedy recovery.

thinkpositive 03-26-2016 11:23 AM

Flori,

Thinking of you and hoping that your pain has been greatly reduced and is now manageable.

Take Care,
Brenda

dawny 03-27-2016 04:05 AM

Flori

Sending you my best wishes from Australia! I had one of those wide stretchy belt things at one time. Soooo fashionable, everyone will want one. ;) xxx