PDA

View Full Version : apricot kernels

valleygirl
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Have any of you tried adding apricot kernels/B17 to your diet? I'm thinking of adding them, but was wondering if anyone else has used them

ElaineM
01-22-2012, 11:40 AM
You might also find other foods with B17 if you do an internet search for it.
I think it is the apricot seeds (kernels??) that have the B17 and not the apricots themselves.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/260289-what-foods-contain-vitamin-b17/

TanyaRD
01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I recommend extreme caution with B-17. Cyanide poisoning has been reported. Here is a great resource for information.

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/amygdalin

ElaineM
01-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the link Tanya. Very interesting link. The idea about eating large amounts of apricot pits has been around a long time. I know the idea has never been proven.
On the other hand I guess the very small amount of B17 in other foods on the list from my link is harmless unless eaten in very large amounts. Those are foods many of us eat fairly often.
Thanks always for your imput. The more we learn about food and exercise the more we can help ourselves on a 24/7 basis.

Mtngrl
01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Seems to me that "laetrile" was made with apricot kernels.

I'm all for using diet to improve health, but I think we have to beware of fads and miracle cures. Eat real food in sane amounts. Even carrot juice can kill you if you overdo it. (Fat soluble vitamins, like Vitamin A, can reach toxic levels because they don't flush out with water.) By "sane" I don't mean average, necessarily. I think most of us could benefit from eating far more vegetables than in the standard American diet.

TanyaRD
02-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Good point Amy. I once had a patient doing LOTS of juicing. I warned him about the build up of fat soluble vitamins and mentioned that sometimes skin discoloration may even be seen. He flipped over his hands, palm side up, and said "You mean like this?" His palms were a tinge of orange! He cut back on the juicing =)