PDA

View Full Version : Hair Thinning and Hair Loss & Marlyn Formula 50

Vic
08-27-2011, 10:37 AM
It's probably due to aging and genetics (my Dad is bald and my Mom has thinning hair), but I'm losing more hair and my hair is thinning by the hairline and I don't like it. Someone online mentioned a vitamin supplement called Marlyn Formula 50, but when I take a closer look at the label, there is 575 mg. of hydrolyzed soy protein and I don't want to take soy, even though my BC was ER-. I'm also on 75 mcg. of Synthroid for low thyroid, which can affect hair loss, too.

Any recommendations or thoughts on a hair supplement that is safe to use for those of us who've had BC? Thanks.

TanyaRD
09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I recommend making sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. I would advise against the soy protein supplement even though your tumor was ER-. A multivitamin for possible micronutrient deficiencies may be beneficial as well.

Best wishes.

Vic
09-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Tanya, you may be right as I don't really eat a lot of protein. I'm an oatmeal-for-breakfast kind of person and I don't eat beef, although I always eat protein for dinner (fish, chicken, etc.) and lately I've been adding rice protein at lunch and/or having a couple of slices of Boar's Head oven-gold turkey.

I have an appointment later this month to see my endocrinologist to check on any deficiencies like iron and silica and, of course, my thyroid levels, but I may check the protein now, too. Thank you for helping me think about this.

Vicki

Laurel
05-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Have you considered having a hair transplant? My hair is thinning as well. Like you the men and women in my heritage had thin hair as they aged. I am looking into it and will let you know what I think. At this point, my boobs are Foobs so what's a little more "reconstruction?" The anti-hormonals are tough on our hairlines as well, but you are ER neg so I suppose that is not contributory in your case as I believe it is in mine.