PDA

View Full Version : Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Baltimor

Rich66
06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Baltimore

http://asbp.org/siterun_data/news/doc11287173861305215314.html

Dr. Thomas Seyfried–“Ketone Bodies and Cancer”

Most brain tumors are untreatable and patients die from the pressure build-up
Calorie restriction is necessary for treating brain tumors
The mitochondria are dysfunctional in human brain tumors
Otto Warburg noted that cancer leads to irreversible damage
Tumor cells are unable to shift from feeding on glucose to ketones
Cancer is more of a metabolic disease than a genetic one
There’s an 80% reduction in tumor weight when calorie-restricted
Calorie-restriction one of the most powerful therapies for killing cancer cells
As glucose is decreased, cancer cells reduce as well
A low-carb, calorie-restricted diet is better than the best drug therapy for cancer
Ketogenic calorie-restricted diets have reduced brain tumors in mice and humans
Blood glucose remains too high on an unlimited calories low-carb diet to treat cancer
Calorie-restricted low-carb diets create adequate ketones for treating brain tumors
Ketogenic, calorie-restricted diets don’t cure cancer, but they come close
Tumors can’t grow when calories are cut to create ketones
Limiting carbs and calories puts you in the zone of managing tumor growth
Brain cancer in children can be treated with ketogenic diets by reducing glucose
Avoid radiation therapy if all all possible–ketogenic, calorie-restricted diet is best for cancer

Dr. Eugene Fine–“Reduced Carbohydrates in Aggressive Resistant Tumors (RECHARGE Trial)”

Not all cancers are dependent on glucose for growth, including prostate cancer
Hyperinsulinemia is a major cancer risk factor–that’s why reducing insulin in paramount
It’s plausible that reducing insulin secretion could inhibit cancer growth
The typical American diet contains 300-400g carbs daily–spiking insulin
Cut the carbs and you’ll cut the insulin and reduce your cancer risk
You don’t want an insulin knockout (Type 1 diabetes), but rather an insulin knockdown
A low-carb diet provides the proper control of insulin without eliminating the good it does
Reduced carb diets have not demonstrated adverse effects up to 2 years as a medical therapy
Humans were built as hunter-gatherers to be in a ketotic state most of the time
Fasting is in our ancestral biochemistry with no ill effects
There is no known dietary requirement for carbohydrate in your diet
Grains and vegetables are only a relatively recent addition to the human diet
A very low-carb diet changes the metabolic environment where cancer would grow
Too many people are living outside of a sustained ketogenic state leading to more cancer
RECHARGE Trial used very low-carb diet on 10 patients who failed on chemotherapy
The study placed the participants on a very low-carb ketogenic diet for 28 days
Average daily intake consumed by study patients was 27g carbs and 1236 daily
All of the study participants were ketotic
Future direction of research will be a larger study using ketogenic diets–funding needed

Rich66
06-12-2011, 03:40 PM
And then there's this:

Studies target link between prostate cancer, excess protein

Dr. Luigi Fontana is the chief investigator on the study, "Does Protein Restriction Inhibit Prostate Cancer Growth?"
He's also co-director of the CALERIE Study, a national, federally funded look at the health effects of calorie restriction — eating 20 percent to 30 percent fewer calories.
While working on the CALERIE Study, Fontana said researchers examined men who had reduced their calorie intake quite substantially. They found that protein intake was more important than calorie intake in regulating the circulating levels of a key hormone called insulin-like growth factor 1, or IGF-1.The hormone has been linked to the risk of developing prostate, breast and colon cancer.
The normal job of the hormone is to help cells grow. It's one of the reasons protein helps rebuild muscles.
But too much protein produced too much of the hormone, Fontana said. That extra hormone potentially helps prostate cancer cells grow, as well.
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/fitness/article_f785d22d-3503-51c0-8383-495033ee21e3.html

sdstarfish
06-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for posting the info from the conference, Rich. I found it interesting to hear that prostate cancer does not depend on glucose for growth. I also appreciated the info on ketones.
Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/www.pinkkitchen.info)

Hopeful
06-13-2011, 06:28 AM
My single most important take-away:

Cancer is more of a metabolic disease than a genetic one

We need endocrinologists involved in our care from the start.

Thanks, Rich.

Hopeful

Rich66
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Been interested in the carb issue (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39588) for some time. The 2nd link suggesting "excess" protein triggering insulin growth factor was a surprise to me. Armchair analysis suggests good fats like olive oil might be one of the best sources of energy/calories.

radiant
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Wow Rich - this seems B.i.g.

thanks, Kim

Rich66
06-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Some research on Alpha lipoic acid and hydroxycitrate (carb blocker) might make it easier to control carbs:
http://www.searcheeze.com/ibrii_public_collection/WdSuX

Radiant,
That's a unique regimen you're on. Looks like a multiprong attack.

Elizabethtx
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for this link and information. I have always felt my diet contributed to the growth of cancer in my body, considering I have no other risk factors. I've grown up and lived on a high carbo diet, moderately overweight. Even after completing treatment, except for Tamoxifen, I still don't feel "well". Can't explain it, but of course I wonder if it my body still fighting cancer cells. More research for me AND get away from the things that turn in to glucose!