PDA

View Full Version : steriods and diet

hezzy
01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
My average weight has always been around 170 for being 5"7 which I never thought was horrible.
From August 09 to recently I have still not dropped off the weight from the steriods.
Yesturday, I was given another prescription for steriods and I'm worried that again I will hit the 300 mark.

Any Advice

Jackie07
01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Can you try a vegeterian diet? My Mother shed 20 lbs in her late 60's and early 70's by eating only vegetables (supplemented by milk and eggs plus vitamin tablets.) She quit the diet after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma 12 years ago. She's a healthy 87 year old right now.

TanyaRD
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Hezzy,
Steroids can certainly make it difficult to lose weight, maintain weight and control appetite. I recommend my patients try eating several small, portion controlled meals per day in order to curb hunger between meals. Add extra fruits and vegetables as these are low calorie and high fiber which will help you feel full. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids which can also help balance out that difficult to manage hunger. Lastly, if able, try to get some physical activity.

Best wishes to you.

Tanya

Unregistered
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi, Hezzy. I am new to the board, haven't yet registered. I was dx last month. I have a question about ur staging. How can your staging change in one month from stage 3 to 4? I would imagine when you were staged, you had a PET scan that did not show distant METS. I never realized that a month could change the picture. I had a PET scan that shows no distant METs on Feb 3, my chemo won't start until Feb 22. Reading your post makes me worry about my developing to stage IV before my chemo starts. Thanks!

sdstarfish
02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi, Hezzy,
Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? Whole grains are really important for keeping weight off. They help your body get rid of what it doesn't need.
Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/www.pinkkitchen.info)