PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus

pibikay
10-11-2010, 12:52 AM
hi
I got a mail from one of the other grops of which I ama member referring to aposting that Asparagus os good for breast cancer
the foofforbrestcancer.com site which gives a recommended and avoid list is silent on Asparagus
What is the view on Asparagus
Thanks
PBK

StephN
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I heard on our local radio consumer awareness boadcast that the asperagus cure is a HOAX.

Totally made up.

ElaineM
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know about any asparagus cures, but I think it is a very healthy vegetable. It is also pretty low on the gycemic index (low glucose), so it shouldn't spike blood sugar. That is good news for cancer patients.
It is one of the vegetables recommended by my naturopathic physician. Luckily it is one of my favorite vegetables too !!

Jackie07
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
In Chinese medicine, asparagus is considered 'cold' which means reducing poison/waste product in our system and has the effect on smooth skin and better energy. (I believe there are people using fresh juice for their 'facial' procedure) It is supposed to have the effect of lowering blood pressure.

The packaged asparagus juice has been popular in Taiwan for over 30 years.

My Mother stir fried asparagus with pork strips whenever it was in season. Sometimes they are simply steamed and people eat it with Mayonaise like a salad.

pibikay
10-12-2010, 02:10 AM
A little more infp from a friend.Quote I went and tried snope.It gives mixed resulte.But overall positive.End quote
Any way whther it is a curative or not it is a good food

DiDi70
10-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I also read that using asparagus as a "cure" is a hoax, but, my Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine suggests consuming asparagus daily as it is a great antioxidant and clears out toxins from the system.

TanyaRD
10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
The asparagus "cure" is a hoax but it doesn't mean it isn't a good food. Asparagus is a rich source of many phytochemicals which can be protective against cancer and important for a healthy immune system, like many other fruits and vegetables. I recommend including it in the diet as desired with a variety of other plant based foods.

Colleens_Husband
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Asparagus makes you pee green, and for that reason alone should be consumed as often as possible for amusement value alone. I'm just saying.......

Laurel
10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Did you know that it is a recessive gene that causes your pee to smell funny and turn a greenish yellow when having consumed asparagus? If you chomp down some Junior Asparagus-type veggies and do not have smelly urine, then you lack the gene.

I'm just adding to what Lee is sayin'......

'lizbeth
10-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I found frozen asparagus today and it was a lot more economical than fresh. So when its not in season . . .

StephN
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I guess men are more aware of how things affect their pee! Other veggies are more to my liking ...

ElaineM
10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe the change in the color only affects men. I love asparagus and never had that problem. I eat a good amount of cooked asparagus and as a snack with other veggie sticks. Both my grandfathers had small farms. We only got candy at Easter when I was a child, but we were allowed to go get any kind of vegetable or fruit we wanted from the field, rinse it under the hose and eat it raw. I still eat raw veggies.

Becky
10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, everyone in my family has smelly urine after eating asparagus (which we eat 1-2 days a week).

I used to not be bothered by the smelly urine but it does bother me now but I still eat them. I am the grocery shopper in my family and I buy them at least once a week (fresh) but plan on it since they go bad quickly (a couple of days) and they are expensive so we eat them quick. They are not like broccoli that can keep awhile in the frig.