PDA

View Full Version : 6 Super foods every woman need

Jackie07
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
http://women.webmd.com/features/six-super-foods-every-woman-needs

Super Food # 1: Low-fat yogurt
Super Food # 2: Fatty fish -- like salmon, sardines, and mackerel
Super Food # 3: Beans
Super Food # 4: Tomatoes (or watermelon, red grapefruit, red navel oranges)
Super Food # 5: Vitamin D fortified low fat milk or orange juice
Super Food # 6: Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries)

ElaineM
09-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Luckily these are among my favorite foods. I am sitting here having a bowl of good quality low fat yoghurt and a little homemade applesauce.

joletta
09-29-2010, 07:10 PM
i have been nervous to drink orange juice because of the sugar content, but do you think OJ would be considered natural sugar therefore it would be beneficial to have? I would love to know what kind of special diets most of you are on. do most of you try to eat organic foods, hormaine free meat, no sugar and sweets, no white breads,ect ect.
Thanks
Joletta

ElaineM
09-29-2010, 09:26 PM
I am a vegetarian. The only thing with a face I eat is wild salmon. I eat beans and fresh local eggs. I eat raw nuts and pumpkin seeds. I don't drink much milk, but I do eat alot of good quality yoghurt. I drink 100% fresh mostly homemade juices (including orange) with no added sweeteners. I eat organic vegetables and fruits when I can. Otherwise I try to eat fruits and vegetables that are in season. The homemade applesauce I mentioned has no additional sweeteners---------just fresh apples, cinnamon and nutmeg. I try to eat mostly brown rice, multi grain pasta and healthy cereals without sweeteners or additives. I cook from scratch 90-95% of the time. It may seem like it is alot of work, but it is not. I can prepare alot of things in one morning and have it ready to heat up for several meals. I only eat cake or pie if it is a special occassion like a holiday or somebody is having a birthday.

R.B.
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Joletta

Sugar is a subject on its own!

The portrayal of table sugar sugar as harmful and the sugar in fruit juices as health is misleading. Sugar (sucrose) is sugar, no matter where it is found, which is fructose and glucose joined together. Fruit also contains some unattached glucose and fructose as well as sucrose.

Humans have bred fruits that are sweeter and less nutrient dense than wild ones.

Arguably fructose in excess is more damaging that glucose, so drinking a lot of fruit juice some argue is not a good idea, and I am increasingly coming to think the arguments some are advancing as to avoiding fruit juices except as a treat fresh squeezed etc make sense.

Compared to table sugar fruit juice does have other important nutrients, but they are arguably better obtained in whole fruit, which is a shame as fruit juices can be mighty tasty. Some juices are going to contain more nutrients in relation to the sugar they contain than others, so if you do use them chose carefully.