PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction

Sandra in GA
01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Everyone,
After completing my Herceptin and lapatinib in Nov., I have been involved with what I am calling"repair work." Dec. 8th and 29th I had cataracts that grew because of the Decadron during the reg. chemo repaired. That went very well. Then, on Jan. 19th, they did a latissimus dorsi flap with expanders on the left side. At the time of my initial surgery, I opted for a double mastectomy and they began the reconstruction on the right side at that time.

This surgery has been a littlt more painful than I had anticipated. The trip back home on Friday following the surgery on Tuesday was uncomfortable. But, with pillows and a stop for extra pain pills, we made it. I am still taking some pain pills but only two or three a day. I still have all three drainage tubes in place and am sure when they are removed, I will be in less discomfort. I will be checking with the nurse in the AM and she will determine when I am to come back (I live almost three hours away by car.)

Even though there is discomfort, there is also a different attitude during this healing period than the last. Now, I feel that when I get well this time, I will just feel better and better. Before I just felt that I was getter better to get on with the chemo and other treatments.

They also removed my port on the 18th! So, now to quote someone on the site, "I have been deported!" It is a wonderful feeling to be looking forward to this spring and summer and all the beauty that time of year brings!

Sandra

I do have some discomfort in my left shoulder (which is my dominate one) where the shoulder almost feels that it is dislocating when I am bending over and reach out with that hand. Have any of you experienced anything similar? I am guessing it will get better with time. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated!

Jackie07
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Sandra,

Thanks for the report. Sorry you are feeling pain right now. Please be very careful with your 'dislocated' :) shoulder and try not to aggrevate it. Everything should get better in time.

There are some old postings on 'reconstruction' that you can locate by using the 'Search' button on the top bar. I hope other members will see your thread and give you feedback soon.

Jean
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Sandra,
Just wanted to wish you a speedy healing and yes you have the wonderful new seasons ahead to enjoy.

God Bless,
Jean

schoolteacher
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Sandra,

Hope you are feeling better today. Congratulations on your reconstruction.

Amelia

Sandra in GA
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I did see my plastic surgeon and they removed one of the three drains. I also got an explanation for the strange sensations. On the way down, I had even noticed this tiglhtness under my arm when trying to disengage the seat belt. It seems that the culprit is the muscle which was moved from my back to my chest while remaining intack in the back area. It thinks it is still in my back! He had me put my arm down and reach forward. That muscle that now runs under my arm gave a very strong contraction. The dr said that sometimes patients still "feel" sensations in their back when something is going on on their chest. With time, my brain should relearn this! I just hope my brain (65) isn't too old to handle this new info! Oh, well, as long as I know everything is intact and within the norm, I am okay. We are staying down here (Mayo at Jacksonville) until tomorrow when I will see my opthmologist and perhaps get rid of one more drain. Thanks again to everyone~
Sandra

curryalso
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
When the drains are out, you'll feel 100% better. But the healing will still take a lot more time. Take it easy.

Sandra in GA
02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I am hoping to have these last two drains removed this coming Tuesday. Thank you Curryalso for the encouragement. I am planning to be "lazy" for a while. As much as I am looking forward to rejoining the real world, I don't think I have the strength to be too bad just yet!

Jaimieh
02-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Sandra~ I hope your drains come out soon.

ElaineM
02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I hope you feel better today. Take good care of yourself.

Sandra in GA
02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for the well wishes! I spoke with the nurse today and they are planning to remove one more tube tomorrow, but it will probably be a few more days before the last one comes out. I am still achy and sore, but getting one of the tubes hung up on a knob on a bathroom counter last night did not help! I almost got that one out myself. Evidently the suture is a very strong thread. That little episode called for two pain pills! Oh, well, I have never been known for my graceful movements!
Thanks again~

Jackie07
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Sandra,

Good to know you are doing so well. Don't worry about the 'graceful' movements. You will recover soon and 'move' whichever way you like! :)

And yes, take those pain killers...

ampotter
02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Sandra,
I hope your recovery is going well. I had shoulder issues following my reconstructive surgeries and my plastic surgeon gave me a physical therapy referral. The ther
apy not only helped with my shoulder issues but I asked them to help me build my endurance as well. It really helped me to move on.
Ann Marie

Sandra in GA
02-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello,
Well, I finially got tube #3 removed this past Thursday. That was 4 weeks and 2 days after surgery. I am feeling SO much better. The area on my side where they had all three tubes coming out is where most of my pain was coming from. Now I can sleep without a pain pill! Since that tube was in so long, coming out was no picnic! They are checking me next weel to make sure I am not collecting fluid. So, this week I am being super lazy so that maybe my internal healing will speed up!

Thank you Ann Marie for letting me know about the physical therapy. It had crossed my mind. I am glad to know it has also helped your endurance. When I am there next Wed., I will ask for a referral.

I really feel that I am past the worst. I am now looking forward to going ahead. I had ct scans while I was there Thurs. and everything looked good. I did get to sign the paper work for the vaccine trial that Mayo is doing and they will test me next week to see if I am HLA-A2+. I do hope I can get into this trial.

Take care, everyone, and thanks again for all the support and help you have given me.

Sandra