PDA

View Full Version : re-test tumor block? for er/ep +

Midwest Alice
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Just reading how the FDA has approved tykerb for use with femara for first line use.

I feel adding tykerb for 3 months would help my chances to stay NED.

What do you all think about requesting my tumor block be tested again to see if I can come up weekly er/pr +? I had a rather large tumor and tumors can have different reading in different parts. I want them to test another part ofmy tumor. Plus my tumor looked like two at first. One a round regular type and the other a long sheet looking thing.

Is this a good idea or is my head in the snowbank in the front yard?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2923761820100129

Becky
01-30-2010, 01:58 PM
If you can get your insurance to pay as Tykerb/Femara is for metastatic disease (first line meaning the first time treating - the first thing tried). I did not think you had recurred.

Midwest Alice
01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for responding Becky.

I have not had a recurrence true,

I have never been out of treatment. I have been on chemo or herceptin all 22 months so I am still treating round one.

So I am guessing my window of opportunity has closed for calling it a first line treatment.

If my onc wants to give tykerb to me and my insurance will pay for it I can take it? This is called off lable?

Rich66
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Might be a good idea to look into it. Exposure to Herceptin can boost ER activity. ER/Her2 crosstalk (combination therapies etc): http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38998

Midwest Alice
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks Rich,
I understood some of what I read.
My onc at MDAnderson moved to a new hospital in another far away hospital...so... I have an appt with a great onc at IU simon Cancer Center.( 3 hours North)
I have always felt I needed to take 3 months of Tykerb but never had a serious conversation with an onc.
I also want to find out how the her2 serum test may help to moniter.
From what I read:
Sounds like the tykerb works on the Her1 pathway.

Herceptin may cause the cancer to turn on\ the ER/PR to +.