PDA

View Full Version : Any one had thyroid cancer?

madubois63
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Papillary thyroid cancer is self contained in the thyroid. The best way to treat it is to take out the thyroid completely and to take synthroid? for the rest of your life.

I know this has nothing to do with breast cancer. My sister has just recently discovered that she has PTC. My family is floored by this. Isn't my crap enough?? My poor mother, she's got 2 girls with cancer. She is exhausted. I am bed bound because all the steroids I took caused my femur (hip) bones to collapse. I haven't walked since September. I am working on strengthening my lungs in order to go under anesthesia for the hip replacements. Once I get clearance ---- new hips!!! Until then, I do exercise in the bed or in a wheelchair. I have an ambulette take me to my appointments.

So that is where I am. I hope someone can put my mind at ease. I'm use to me being sick. but this is my sister...

Love to you all...

kimber
01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey, it is great to "see you" again! I have had thyroid cancer. The same kind as your sister. It really is the "best kind" of cancer. I did have my thyroid removed - or so they thought and have been on and will remain on Synthroid for the rest of my life. It did turn out that a portion of my left lobe remains. It now has multiple nodules which get needle biopsy via ultra sound annually. If it turns out that the cancer has returned they will go back in and remove the rest.

Your sister will be fine. Really! If you or she has any questions - please email me.

I am wishing you and your sister well!!

kim

Margerie
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I had the same also. A multinodular goiter was found when I had my CT done to set up for rads, biopsy was in "gray area" I demanded to have thyroid removed as I was not in the mood to worry about/monitor any more lumps. They found "incidental" papillary thyroid cancer. It was VERY small, but in a completely diifferent place than the nodules they biosied. I too take throid replacement and I am doing very well. Once the dust settled and I realized how much less aggressive thyroid cancer is, I really didn't sweat it. I was so worried it was bc mets! Anyway, I hope your sister does well with her treatment and give her and your mom a hug from me.

Cannon
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Me too. Thyroid cancer caught early is almost 100% CURABLE. Mine was 2 years prior to breast cancer. My sister had exact same thing one year after me. The treatment is MUCH easier than chemo and radiation -- the hard part is becoming hypothyroid before the treatment. It took months of building up the synthroid levels before I felt human again. I send all my hopes and prayers that this is a small bump in the road for you and your family.

chrisy
01-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow, I had no idea this was so common. Very encouraged by the responses.

Mostly MA I wanted to compliment you on your hot new photo!

Take care, beautiful one (inside AND outside)