PDA

View Full Version : How long on Adriamycin?

sally
01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I have been on Adriamycin since Sept 09. I get it 3 weeks on one week off. My PET last week showed that all my spots have faded but my onc is keeping me on since it worked so well. Just wondering how long everyone else was on it. Thanks for any info. Sally

whatz
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
I had Adriamycin together with Cytoxan for 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) but I'm also stage I so that probably does not compare real well.

Yorkiegirl
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
I was under the impression that Adriamycin had a life time amount that could be taken as it is very toxic to the heart. I can't remember the amount. Sorry I wasn't any help.

Mary Jo
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
I was on adriamycin with Cytoxan also. Received it 4 times every other week.

Mary Jo

mirtillo
01-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I received Adriamycin together with Taxol 4 times, every 3 weeks.

MJo
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I know that adriamycin is an old and very powerful chemo. I would make sure that your oncologist is monitoring you closely while you are on this drug. It has been shown to cause heart valve damage in a small percentage of patients. I also have read that there is a lifetime amount you can take. I'm sure you'll be just fine as long as you are monitored. Make sure to ask questions if you have them.

Carolyns
01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi Sally,

I am not sure about that drug as I too had it in combination with other drugs. Doxil is a drug like Adriamycin that many doctors are using to treat Stage IV breast cancer for long periods of time.

Please check back in and let us know your findings.

Thanks, Carolyn

AlaskaAngel
01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.virtualcancercentre.com/drugs.asp?drugid=1723

Per this site, recommended cumulative lifetime dose is 550mg/m2.

(As a stage I, I was prescribed doxorubicin every 3 weeks for 6 treatments, but because I declined the use of blood stimulators my counts took longer to recover between treatments and I actually received it every 4 weeks for 6 treatments.)

A.A.