PDA

View Full Version : More Femara Questions and Help with Forgetfulness

WolverineFan
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Hello Friends,

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your wisdom and experience.

The first is, I started Femara back in October, and thankfully, have had very little problems with the exception of some minor joint pain. However, in the last six weeks, some things have occurred (huge appetite swings, face breaking out, chocolate cravings) and my onc believes my body may be going back to a pre-menopausal state. The crazy thing is, I was one who really didn't ever have bad pms. Is this odd that it could occur so soon after finishing chemo? I guess my real question is, should I be concerned?

Secondly, I've always considered myself a very high functioning person, and since returning to work full time, I've had a LOT of difficulty remembering things. I am a list person, so that helps, but I am not feeling near as effective and would appreciate any ideas you may have to help with my forgetfulness.

Thank you so much,

Hayley

Cannon
01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
No, I don't think it's crazy for your hormones to be back -- but there are tests for that to be sure.

I SO know the chemo brain thing - it's real! And honestly, I think the stress of having cancer just puts your brain into a weird place anyway. But for me it seems to have gotten better, slowly, over time. And yes, the lists help.

Laurel
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Live by lists and memory association games to assist me to recall things. I have times where the word is just, you know, right there, but it eludes me. Maybe the lack of estrogen affects us adversely. Then too, there is the whole stress, lack of rest, recovery thing to consider. I think we just have to learn to cope with the new norm.

Jean
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Has your dr. done or have you had any estrogen level tests? To be certain that you are post menopausal?
As far as I know you must be post menopausal in order to take the AI 's.

As far as the chemo brain, it is real and in time your memory will get better. It is not uncommon to just forget a name that seems to be on the tip of your tongue. Or you just feel a sort of fog to recall easy things from your memory. It seems to only last a few min. as you try to recall, very frustrating but the fog does lift. It takes time after treatment. I found that remember new names was a problem. Or I started to get up to get something and when I get into the room
a few min. later I would say, what was it I came in here for? Very annoying. But it does improve. Just keep using your lists...and doing things to keep your brain working...

Best Wishes,
jean

harrie
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a very good friend who is 43 yrs old. She is not on Femara, but she is on estrogen blockers. She has gone through significant changes, and her assumption is that it is pretty much due to being thrown into menopause. If you would like for me to ask her any questions, I am sure she would be happy to help. You should be able to see me email there.

Chelee
01-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Hayley, I was dx at age 48 and was still peri-meno. Of course after after trt I was put into chemopause. My onc wanted me on an Femara, and I was on it for a while until I felt as though I was going to start my period again. I had her check my FSH & Estradiol levels and found out I was right. I was back to be peri-meno not that long after finishing chemo. So here I had been on Femara and peri-meno all that time. I then started on Zoledax shots so I could continue to take Femara. The monthly Zoledex worked to keep me in menopausal range...but for what ever reason the 3 month dose did NOT work? (Strange)

So yes...you should be concerned. As you probably know you should "not" be taking any AI's if your peri-meno. So make sure you onc checks your FSH & Estradiol. I see your alot younger then I was so it would not surprise me one bit that your in the peri-meno range already. Get your onc to check that asap. You really don't want to be taking Femara if your not menopausal.

As far as being forgetful...join the club. lol :) It seems to be very common after chemo unfortunetly. We all joke about chemo brain but it's real. I write myself so many notes it's not funny. I even have notes to remind me to read my OTHER notes. lol Our bodie & mind have been thru some major changes...let alone the consent stress that cancer brings with it. It's no wonder we can't think straight. I really do believe in time it does get better. Hang in there your not alone.

Chelee

Becky
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi Wolverine

Like the others said, make sure you get your bloodwork done for FSH, LH and estradiol. You are young. I was older than you when chemo ended (last chemo Jan 2005 - period back July 2005). That was a complete shock to me and I was 46 at the time.

Second, chemo and low estrogen levels cause forgetfulness. I had the worse case of "couldn't find the right word" syndrome and "how do you spell that word" syndrome. I was also bad with numbers. It did all come back but now the forgetfulness is from " I am in my 50's" syndrome:)

You will make it thru that, kinda comes with the territory. At least you know you are doing it!

Keep in touch with the menopause blood work and don't forget to do it:)