PDA

View Full Version : Looking for additional information

Dakini52
01-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago, HER2, stage IIB. I found out last week that the cancer has recurred and would like to find other women who are dealing with this. I believe my treatment will be with Herceptin and Tykerb along with surgery to remove the new tumor. If you have any information you can share regarding your treatment and how you are dealing with it I would greatly appreciate you sharing it. I have been pretty devistated by the prospect of dealing with this again as would anyone I guess. I'm just looking for any additional information; treatments that might be working for others, etc.

Jackie07
01-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi,

My recurrence was also found 4 years after my initial treatment. Also stage IIB, I think (2 nodes and 2+ cm bc). I chose to have bilateral mastectomy just so there's one less trouble and risk. Tykerb is a very powerful medicine - from what I've been reading so far. Several new members have had both Herceptin and Tykerb and got rid of the cancer cells really fast.

There's a 'Search' button located on the tool bar on top. Treatment for Her2 has been a 'hot field' and new treatment schedules/combinations are tested frequently in clinical trials. Normally the treatment schedule of a new member like you exposes/enlightens us to new findings/protocols more than any other sources.

There's a Herceptin/Tykerb board, if you click on the heading, you can see all the topics being discussed in reverse chronological order. Look through old postings or do a 'search' usually will bring you some good result.

I have a congenital condition called mitral valve prolapse. It was the main culprit, I think, that had caused me not able to finish one year worth of Herceptin. Be sure to stay active and exercise to maintain good heart function because Herceptin is known to have the side effect of affecting our heart muscle.

mmoons
01-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi dakini-

I am so sorry about your news. I am sure you are very upset...of course.

You came to the right place. I am blow away regularly but the loving, compassionate, SMART men and women on this board.

I was diagnosed late 2008 with stageIIIc. I started immediately on Tykerb as a part of a trial. Within 2 weeks there was NO evidence of my 6.8cm tumor.

Be encouraged about all the amazing medicines available now.

Love to you,
Maureen