PDA

View Full Version : My sis has just begun the radiation...

ammebarb
01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
that is part of her treatment plan. Each step has brought us questions and concerns about what to expect. I was not with her for her consultation (first time since this all began), so I wasn't privy to any pre-treatment information. She has shared what she remembers....that she can expect some fatigue (probably closer to the end of the seven week period she will receive it), perhaps some skin dryness and burn. She mentioned the small possibility of radiation induced pneumonia, but was not sounding too concerned about that. Since this is a daily (five day a week) routine, we decided that I'd wait until closer the end to go with her, when she might be experiencing the fatigue. Does anyone have any suggestions for us ? Her spirits are good and she is feeling pretty well, despite some peripheral neuropathy and a slight, lingering taste in her mouth from the chemo. She doesn't ask about when her next scans are, preferring to not fret about them too far ahead of time. We both so appreciate all the help you have given.....

Barb A.

Becky
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Make sure she asks the rad onc about what lotion and soap to use. I was told to only use unscented Dove bar soap and was given a presciption for Biofine lotion. My mom used Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel but I thought the Biofine was better. The rad nurse should give her instructions on this as you can't use lotions or gel 4-6 hrs before rad treatment.

Once treatment gets going, let us know if she is having any side effects - also, I can't remember if your sister has her breast or not. If she does have a breast, she should go out and buy one or two cotton bras and maybe a cami that has a bra built it. I found these more comfortable. Also, I burned unnaturally so (much more than normal) so I would turn those cotton bras inside out so the elastic band underneath was on the outside and the cotton was next to me (I worked so I had to wear something). However, your sister may not burn or not burn much more than a day in the sun (during the whole course of treatment).

ammebarb
01-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Thank you so much for responding, Becky. She hadn't mentioned to me if she was told what soap and lotion to use, so I will speak with her about it. Your suggestion about the bra is ingenious! Yes, she still has her breast, so I will also mention the bra thing. It is so good of you to reply. My best to you!

Barb A.

Hopeful
01-20-2010, 07:26 AM
I second the recommendation for Biofine. At my rads center, they gave it to the bc patients for free. I made sure to apply it immediately after tx, when I was getting dressed, and then again before bedtime. The key is to start using it right away, BEFORE you start to burn. I had no burning other than a mild "sunburn" that went away about a week after tx.

Best of luck to you and your sister,

Hopeful

ammebarb
01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Thank you, Hopeful. Did you have any other side effects? How do you regard the radiation in relation to chemo?

Barb A.

Becky
01-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I think I was more tired at the end of the 6 weeks but it was nothing compared to chemo. Also, I was one of the unlucky ones who did burn but not grossly so but I did get blisters that popped then scabbed. This is not the most common burning as most is "sunburned" red look. I was alittle over the top.

I did use the biofine cream in the same way as Hopeful. I guess I just have more sensitive skin even though I am not one to sunburn badly (but maybe I am as I am a diligent suntan lotion user when going out in the sun). Oh well.

Your sister won't find rads as tiring and problematic as chemo even if she burns like I did. The burning (if it is bad) happens near the end. Then its over and it heals up nicely.

Also, she should make sure that after showering or bathing that the breasts are really dry (especially the underneath part). I would lay on my bed belly down and let my breasts dangle over the edge so they would dry underneath (only takes a few minutes) and then put the cream on. She should also just pat them dry with a towel and not rub.

Hopeful
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Barb,

I did not have chemo, so I have no basis for comparison. I can say that I did not suffer fatigue at all from rads. What I did notice was that I got hungry each day around 4:00 p.m. My rads onc said that was interesting, because that was the time most of her patients started feeling tired. I guess the body looks for extra energy in different ways.

Hopeful

Gerri
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Barb,

I used 100% aloe before getting dressed after each treatment and then once or twice more during the day. It was soothing and I didn't burn at all. My skin turned an extremely pale pink at the end, but that faded. I used Dove body wash and was told to not take hot showers or to let the spray hit that area directly. For deodorant I used a natural crystal stone - I was skeptical but it worked fine. I did not get extremely fatigued - that hit me about a year after treatment was over - odd.

Best of luck to your sister. As we all know, everyone responds differently to treatment, we just need to take from the experiences of others and see what works for us. That's what makes this support board so great!

ammebarb
01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Gerri, Becky and Hopeful---thank you so much for responding. It means so much that there are gals here who are willing to share. Bless you all!

Barb A.