PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating my 2 year survivorship today.

lizm100
01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Hello-

today I am celebrating my 2 year survivorsorship. It was on this day that the radiologist told me that he was confident that I had breast cancer. I remember the day very vividly how I was in the radiology center getting a mammogram that I was able to get at the age of 38 through my persistence and I sat in the cubicle waiting while the radiologist kept asking for more views and more views etc. My mammogram appointment ended up taking over 4 hours and in the end the radiologist gave me the bad news and explained my mammogram pictures to me (he spent alot of time with me) lastly, he told me that my doctor is waiting for me (it was well after 6PM) in her office to talk to me about where do we go from here.

I also recall being told that I was her2+++ after my 1st lumpectomy but was told "not to google it or I will freak out". This comment made me google it and I was sorry I did at the time. I wish there was a tool that only up to date information was on the web. I thought that I was going to die and not see my children grow up. My youngest was only 8 months old and my others were only 5 & 10.

I'm a rare member in this community since I did not have chemo & herceptin and I pray to God everyday that the numerous doctors I consulted with gave me the right advice. All the doctors said that since I was stage T1Mic they all felt that the risks outweighed the benefits. I hope and pray they were right and still worry about not having herceptin.

I can go on and write a book about my whole saga but what's important is that I'm still here and to the best of my knowledge I'm doing just fine cancerwise. Yes, I have some side effects from radiation but I'm alive and healthy.

I am very thankful to the members of this community who have always been there to answer my questions about this horrible disease with words of experience, wisdom, & encouragement. I don't know what I would have done without you. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Sending (((hugs))) to all of you.

Liz

caya
01-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Congrats Liz on being 2 years out!!

all the best
caya

Chelee
01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Liz, Congratulations on being 2 yrs out and NED. I hope you did something special to celebrate today. :)

Enjoy!

Chelee

Jackie07
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Congratulations! Liz.

Sounded like your radiologist is a 'keeper'. His diligence has spared your having to undergo more heavy-duty treatment. Don't forget to thank him while you are celebrating.

DanaRT
01-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Congrats on two years out! I was told at a fund raising event by a prominent (sp?) oncologist that two years NED is the new magic number!

Love,
Dana

karen z
01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Good wishes and thougts!
Congratulations and enjoy!

sassy
01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Two years is a great number to celebrate!!
Much joy and happiness to you!

janieR
01-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Enjoy the day and many many more to come.

Good wishes

Janie

WolverineFan
01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Great news!!! Enjoy and congratulations!

tricia keegan
01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Congratulations from me too Liz:)

ElaineM
01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Congratulations !!

Jaimieh
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Congratulations Liz. I wish you MANY, MANY more years.

If you do not mind me asking what is T1mic ???

krisvell
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi Liz, I am so happy for you. I wish you many more anniversaries... and you will have them!
Kris...

suzan w
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
That is awesome news, LIZ!!! XOX Suzan

schoolteacher
01-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Liz,

Congratulations on your two year anniversay.

Amelia

Lori R
01-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Liz,
FANTASTIC news!!! You will be here to raise those kids and enjoy many graduations, weddings and grandchildren.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Sheila
01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Liz
Congratulations on this huge milestone.....before you know it you'll be saying 5 yrs, then 10, then 20!!!
Celebrate this day!!!

SusanV
01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
VERY VERY Happy for you !!!

Jean
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh Liz,
It is so wonderful to celebrate an anniversary.
I am so happy for you. I wish you many many more years of them.

Enjoy those beautiful babies....and celebrate your special day.

Best wishes,
jean

mcgle
01-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Liz

My pathology was similar to yours, and I received neither chemo nor herceptin. I am now four years out.

So you are not alone ...

Mcgle (UK)

lizm100
01-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Thank you, ALL of you are wonderful to celebrate with me!

Mcgle - thank you for sharing that your are 4 years out; it is very encouraging :)

Sending (((hugs))) to everyone :)

Lien
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Liz,

Congratulations! 2 years is great. When I reached that milestone, my doc shook my hand and congratulated me because I "took the first important hurdle". When I asked about chemo and Herceptin, he said the same thing you were told: the benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm 6 years out now and NED.

Love

Jacqueline

lizm100
01-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Jacqueline,thank you for sharing your story. 6 years out that's wonderful news!!! Congratulations to you too!!!

All the oncologists I consulted with told me with her2+++ cancers the greatest risk of recurrence is within the 1st - 2 years (not that you can't recur later on in time) but after that time period the risk drops. I see one of my doctor's atleast every 3 months for follow up so I'm being watched closely. I hope that plan continues...... I need that safety net.

Sending (((hugs))) your way,

Liz