PDA

View Full Version : Nagging Pain in thigh

cher
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
First time poster so sorry if it is not ideal but I will do the best I can, I have been having treatment for Her2 for the past year,
Chemo, Radiation, herceptin and amoxefin, and whilst I am not as learned as some of the other people on this site I have taken a very strong interest and been blown away by the caring people on this site, Anyway my problem is a nagging pain in my thigh, to my knowledge I have not bumped it or hurt it and it only seems to be painfull when I move it, ie walking, There is no swelling and the pain seems to radiate from the bone. I live in New Zealand and try to follow overseas blogs etc.

Many thanks to you all for the courage that I have got from you over the past year,
Love
Kiwi Girl

joyluck
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
My mom had the similar thing. She had hip/thigh pain since last apr. Finally we did a bone scan last week and the result came be normal. That was a relief. Maybe you can try the same?

Laurel
01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Cher (kiwi girl),

We all have these nagging aches and pains off and on that tend to really worry and frighten us, but the majority of the time they prove to me nothing. Naturally, we cancer survivors always think the worse! That chronic paranoia is part and parcel with the survivoring because we know that the shoe can drop at anytime. There are no guarantees.

Oddly enough, though the side effect of achy joints and bones seem to be more prevalent with the A.I.s, I found tamoxifen to be a good producer of those same complaints. I also encourage you to explore the etiology of the pain with your onc. When my pain increases (my back and left hip flare frequently) I can nearly always find a causative agent in my posture. The most innocent positions can pain me for days!

I had chronic pain in my hip for months and only was able to put the worry to rest with a bone scan. I suggest you pursue something of that nature with your Onc. I also recommend Glucosamine/Condroitin/Msm twice daily. Keep your bones strong with a minimum of 1200mg of Calcium daily as well as Vit D. I have found that I require 5000U of Vit D daily to keep me between 50-70 on my Vit D levels which I have drawn quarterly.

Hang in there and welcome to the site! Your country is so beautiful!

Jean
01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Cher,
As Laurel mentions once dx. there is also the concern that the pain is something serious.

But, if the pain is constant, I would certainly have it checked. You mention it only happens when you walk,
I would have to say that if it were something serious
it would ache all the time.

Do you take anything to ease the pain? Like Alieve,
or other muscle relief? If so does that offer relief at all?
The AI can effect the joints. When I was on Arimidex
my hip ache on and off. I switched over to Femara and the hip pain stopped.

Let us know what your dr. says.
Best wishes,
Jean

madubois63
01-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Sometimes pain is just pain, but everything should be checked out by a doctor. We as cancer patients seem to forget arthitis is a wonderful thing. Simple diagnosis is a blessing. But, as a long time steroid user, I have to tell you to watch your hips. In my case, steroids have reaked hazard. The blood supply was cut off to the hip bones and the bones became brittle and slowly cracked and became useless. This does not happen to everyone, but it is something that steroid users should know about. Good luck and God bless...

Jackie07
01-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Kiwi girl,

Happened to see this thread. Are you doing better as far as the thigh pain goes?