PDA

View Full Version : Femara or.....???

BonnieR
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Saw my onc today for routine follow up. I continue to be so sore and achy, especially by day's end. Joints and feet. She suggested I consider switching from Femara to another AI. What has been your experience doing this? Part of me hates to rock the boat. And I hate to be whiny.

tricia keegan
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Bonnie I have no experience of aromasin but as femara and arimidex are sister drugs I think they have the same side effects.
I know on arimidex I have stiffness/achey joints and take glucosamine/chondroitin but think they are fairly similar.
I find it tolerable so stay on it in the hope it working to keep cancer away:)

Lani
01-08-2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/174943.php

BonnieR
01-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks Lani, how interesting. This study suggests switching TO Femara! I am considering switching off of it. I wonder if my symptoms would be even WORSE if I was receiving a different drug? My onc did say that it seems that one drug is sometimes better tolerated than another, even though they function in the same way.
It's always some stupid thing....but as Tricia said, as long as it's working.

karen z
01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Lani,
Thanks for posting.

Lani
01-09-2010, 06:47 PM
You are most welcome!!!

Cannon
01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I think this is one of those "your mileage may vary" issues - while Arimidex and Femara are very similar, people do have different responses, so I would say if you are very uncomfortable, try something else. My pain on arimidex was 7 or 8, would have needed pain meds to continue (but would have) -- we switched to femara and it was a 2 or 3, now negligible. If you switch and it's worse, you can always switch back.

Best,
Rebecca

sarah
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Bonnie do you take it at night? I do and find the side effects less annoying. I take it just before I turn out the light to go to sleep.
health and happiness
sarah

BonnieR
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, Sarah, there's an "duh!" moment for me! I never thought to try that.
And Cannon, what you said was the same as the onc. Not any "logical" reason for the difference but it exists. So I will look at all my options. Thanks everyone.

Rich66
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm be very curious about your results taking it at night. Onc wonks would call it Chronotherapy. Been wondering whether there might be a circadian based "best time" for daily endocrine agents..even though they aim to maintain a constant level.
A researcher told me Femara reduced aromatase/estrogen more than other AIs. That might explain the discomfort..as well as a reason to try ways to make it tolerable.

Becky
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I always took my anti hormonal at night - right before bed, even when I was on Tamoxifen (which was the only thing then). I continued that when switched to Arimidex.

The ladies in my local support group gave me that tip (night time) long ago. They told me to bear the brunt of hot flashes (a Tamoxifen side effect) during sleep cuz I'd get hot flashes anyway but they were worse right after you took Tamoxifen. I just continued the habit later and take it at night.

I have relatively little problems on Arimidex - stiff ankles in the morning but that may have nothing to do with it as I have ankle problems. I think that timing might help but I also think that you will still have joint problems and if its horrible, try a different AI and see if you get relief.