PDA

View Full Version : Bloated on Tamoxifen??

bejuce
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I started Tamoxifen after rads and lately I've been feeling very bloated, as if I'm pregnant (not possible, tied the tubes at my last c-section). Discounting the food extravaganza during the holidays, I started questioning whether the bloated feeling could be due to Tamoxifen.

Has anyone experienced that? Is bloating a side effect of Tamoxifen? How about weight gain? I'm exercising daily and eating healthy for the most part (again discounting the holidays and the Italian Panettone I had for breakfast at Christmas and New Years...)

Thanks!!!

Marcia (bejuce)

Hopeful
01-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Bejuce,

I was never on Tamoxifen, but my onc told me anectdotally that he heard a lot of complaints from his patients about weight gain. According to Drugs.com, bloating is listed as a side effect:

http://www.drugs.com/cons/tamoxifen.html

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful

Becky
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I was on Tamoxifen even though I am now on Arimidex (had ooph several yrs ago to do so). I did not have the problems you are having but I had the "eyes" side effect. Floaters and the perception that I was losing eyesight. I do know that weight gain is a Tamoxifen side effect but it is minor (10 lbs) and I bet you can work that off. Bloating is a b---- cuz that just makes you feel yucky.

In my estimation, most side effects tend to improve with time or you just get used to it.

If things go downhill, don't despair - there is another medication you can take being premenopausal - Evista. Most studies show it works just as well as Tamoxifen but without many of the side effects.

AlaskaAngel
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41162

bejuce
01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much! I have an appt with my oncologist on Tuesday and will discuss this with her.

Have a great weekend!

AlaskaAngel
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Marcia,

The other thing is that anyone who has had breast cancer and has frequent bloating probably should at least ask about having a CA-125, which tests for ovarian cancer.

When I was taking tamoxifen, I sometimes had bloating too.

A.A.