PDA

View Full Version : 6 months post-chemo and hair on body slowed-stopped?

Cal-Gal
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi all--

This is really strange but thought I would reach out to all of you to see if anyone else had this happen-and perhaps knows the reason for this happening?????

My hair--all over-- legs, underarms-even on my head-has slowed to almost stopped growing--

Right after chemo, my hair all over my body grew in--it was like working overtime for the first month--had to shave my legs like 2x a week versus normally 1x a week--

Then after the first month my hair growth settled in for the next 4 months of regular pre-chemo growth--

In the last 2 months-I have only shaved my legs 1 time!!!!
there is virtually no hair under my arms and the hair on my head has slowed and grown very little in the last 2 months--prior to that it was really growing fast-which is normal for me--

What is up with all of this?

I am freaking out that this means that the cancer is back??

Thanks so much--

Gerri
01-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Cal-Gal,

I see from your stats that you had a little break between chemo and Herceptin - that may be the answer. For me, Herceptin seemed to make my hair regrowth an extremely slow process - I believe others have experienced the same thing. After completing Herceptin my hair started to grow back at a normal rate. I still have very little underarm hair, as well as hair on my legs (okay by me!). My hair has grown back just as thick as before but my eyebrows and eyelashes are not as long or thick as before - makeup "makes up" for what is lacking http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Hang in there - things return to normal eventually; it's getting there that is so hard to deal with at times.

Chelee
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I totally agree with what Gerri had to say. She's right on the money. I realize once dx with bc everything worries us...believe me...I know. But you will see soon your hair will start growing again. I know the hair on my legs and under arms has never been the same. There is nothing really worth shaving under the arms or legs anymore...which works for me. So don't worry about that...I find that to be pretty normal after chemo.

But the hair on your head and eyebrows will be fine even though it might not seem like it right now. I know till I was completely off herceptin my hair just did not grow back very fast. Seems like to took forever. But not soon after finishing herceptin my hair grew much faster then before. It may of been slow at first due to the Taxotere and Carb...that is so hard on the body. So give it some more time and you will see how fast it will come back.

Chelee

Cal-Gal
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks Gerri and Chelee!!!

Gerri you are correct---I believe my break between chemo and Herceptin was about than 2 weeks---agree Chelee--I am ok with the hair on my legs and underarms growing in slowly--no problem there--although would LOVE the hair on my head to speed it up!!!

thanks Ladies!!!

MJo
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Ditto for me. I have a lot less underarm and leg hair three years after chemo and herceptin. That's a plus because I was a hairy girl.

My eyebrows grew back completely. Hair on my head grew back, but I think it's thinner. Down below is thinner too, but that could be age.

Cannon
01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Agree with everyone, it's the Herceptin. My hair regrowth was very slow until I was done with it.

CindyE
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I too have very little hair on my legs. I have really no hair on the underarm where I had radiation and the other armpit has just light growth. My eyebrow hair is very thin and I have to use a brow pencil now which is weird as my eyebrows used to be really thick and I had to pluck them so they looked normal. The hair on my head has always been fine and it's about the same as it was before chemo except that it's more curly.

Cal-Gal
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone---amazing that there all these (some relatively minor) SE's from Herceptin--funny when you talk to Onc nurses or Onc--and you mention SE's they almost always say--that couldn't be from the Herceptin--what the heck is that all about??? I have persistent nausea, headaches and some dizziness etc--which 2/3 are listed on Genentech's site as SE's but all the above say--they don't think its the "H?"---

Oh well----

Thanks so much for your generosity all of you--

BonnieR
01-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Cal Gal, I would not worry about the hair loss as a sign cancer is returning since the loss was due to treatment, not cancer.
I concur with the others. My hair seems more sparse now.

Cal-Gal
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
HI Bonnie-thanks for the note--my hair was growing like a weed--like normal the first few months off of chemo--and ON Herceptin-since I started Herceptin with only a 2 week break after chemo--and then a few months ago--it virtually stopped---really wild---but at least I have some hair!!!! that I am thankful for!!!

Barbara2
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Same here after 7 years...less hair everywhere, even eyebrows and head.

lizm100
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Cal-gal-

I can't answer why your hair growth is slowed but other members are doing an excellent job as always.

Having fine hair most of my life I have always researched ways to make hair healthier and recall reading through numerous sources that doing a 5 min scalp massage with a few drops of oil (olive, jajoba, almond etc.) prior to washing your hair will increase blood flow to your scalp therefore help with growth. I do the almond oil if a have a few extra minutes and I will say that it gives my hair a nice shine and it looks much healthier.

I have also heard that adding a few drops of Rosemary oil to your shampoo and to work it through your scalp well each time you wash your hair will help stimulate hair folicles. I tried it and it didn't do a thing for me so I just stick to the almond oil :)

Lastly, I think pepermint oil is supposed to stimulate the hair folices too.

Ok, I'm all adviced out....lol

Wishing you the very best.

Cal-Gal
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks all for your thoughtful replies---

You guys are the best---I just don't know what I would do without you.......