PDA

View Full Version : Lump on sternum

fauxgypsy
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
First, just let me say I think of y'all often but I am just swamped at work. This first year teaching is not quite overwhelming.I miss you all. I wish that I could have gone to San Antonio. Hope everyone had a great time and learned a lot! Hope you have a healthy new year!

Second, about two months ago, I developed a lump on my sternum, near the bottom (Xiphoid process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiphoid_process) ), on the right, it is about and inch and a half across and not real noticeable. You can feel it if you run your fingers across it. It is a little tender (sometimes) but not showing any inflammation or redness.

It didn't show up on the PET scan I had the end of November, though it was present then. My doctor ordered an ultrasound guided biopsy but they couldn't find anything to biopsy. It just showed up as thickened tissue. Nothing clear, no tumor, etc. At the moment we are watching it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Love, Leslie

freyja
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Leslie! :) I don't have any info but I'm glad to see you here and glad it seems to be nothing to worry about! Hope you had a good winter break. I had frozen water pipes that burst over the ceiling and spent the holidays in a construction zone getting a new kitchen ceiling, and now I'll be thinking of you this week when I'm repainting the faux finish I had done on it 7 years ago! Wish you were here!
Love, Celeste

Midwest Alice
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Leslie, Have fun teaching!! I am also followed with ultrasounds for changes. The areas they are calling fatty somthing. I will have to look. They do not show up on PET.

Hope this helps, Alice

CLTann
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
What a coincidence. I have a friend in Eugene who is a professor living alone there. He wanted to save heat and left the house unheated. He had his water pipes leaking everywhere. His neighbor called him to come back from Portland. The funny thing was that after repair the bursted pipes, he still left the house unheated. That shows Ph.D's are not all smart.

Jackie07
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
They are smart all right. What they are lack of is 'common sense', as my Father-in-law says about his PhD daughter. I think 'smart people' refuse to believe things that they can't figure out logically. But keeping the house heated should be the rational thing to do. (He ought to know the fact that warm air goes up, cold air goes down...)

We had experienced the 'water on the roof (ceiling)' problem in summer 2007 just before my 2nd Sister arrived to take care of me after my mastectomy. It was summer time and preventing 'mold' became our priority. Luckily we got the roof replaced before another rain storm hit Central Texas...

Leslie, I'm so glad there's nothing to worry about.

schoolteacher
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Leslie,

Glad to hear from you.

Amelia

Chelee
01-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Leslie, I'm glad everything checked out positive with the lump. That has to be a sigh of relief. It's always good to stay on top of things and remain pro-active but it sounds like all is ok...that's wonderful. :)

I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with with the lump...but glad you checked in and let us all know your doing ok. You sound like you've been busy girl. Keep us updated now and then if you find time. Take care and hang in there.

Chelee

juanita
01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
i've had a lump on my sternum for a couple years and have ct scans to follow it. the rad onc thinks it may have been from a broken rib along the sternum and it's a calcium build up.