PDA

View Full Version : Loading dose of herceptin when it was not

Chelee
12-24-2009, 11:15 PM
When I was told I had a recurrence in Sept. I had my 1st loading dose of herceptin then. Due to my femur surgery I planned it out so as to not to interrupt my herceptin infusions at all. I got it on schedule and never missed a dose.

Well some how my onc wasn't paying enough attention and I now find out that I got another loading dose of herceptin when I first started up the Navelbine wks ago. For some reason when I went to City of Hope and spent the 5 days in the hospital due to the hip surgery...she thought I was off schedule and missed my herceptin. (But I didn't!) So she wrote orders for my chemo nurse to give me "another" loading dose of herceptin when she first started me on Navy Beans.

I've tried telling my onc two or three times now I was NOT due a loading dose...I never missed my herceptin. (This issue has come up for 3 weeks now at each of my appts.) Well she finally got it through her head at my last visit and said that it doesn't matter and it won't hurt me. (How does she know that for certain?!) Although minor...I call it a over dose since I wasn't due to get that much herceptin. I seem fine...but I can't believe my onc is that scattered.

How much difference is there in the loading dose and the regular maintenance dose? Anyone know?

Chelee

Rich66
12-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Recent findings suggest that higher doses of Herceptin may be beneficial to higher her2 positivity patients. Considering this (a trend toward higher dosage), and the cost of the drug, I suspect you got a bit of a bonus dose. Yayyy! Much better than getting a suboptimal loading dose. Boo.

Becky
12-25-2009, 10:35 AM
For the weekly regime, the loading dose is twice as much. for the every 3 wks - its 25% more. I think weekly is 2mg/kg body weight (load is 4mg/kg). Every 3 weeks is 6mg/kg and load is 8mg/kg.

It won't hurt you to get more.

Hopeful
12-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Chelee,

Rich is correct - see this abstract from the most recent SABCS: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42961&referrerid=1173

Hopeful

Chelee
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
It seems I may have actually benefited from my onc's error for a change. It's about time. :) Thanks to all three of you...much appreciated.

Chelee