PDA

View Full Version : New drug to stop cancer cells from growing and to stimulate immune system to destroy

News
12-22-2009, 11:31 PM
A study conducted at Scott & White Healthcare in Temple, Texas, found that a new drug stopped the growth of breast tumors in mice. This drug is unique in that it works both by stopping the cancer cells from growing and metastasizing to other organs, and by stimulating the immune system to destroy breast cancer cells and keeps them from coming back.

More... (http://www.news-medical.net/news/20091223/New-drug-to-stop-cancer-cells-from-growing-and-to-stimulate-immune-system-to-destroy-cancer-cells-found.aspx)

Rich66
12-25-2009, 01:13 AM
And the name of the drug is................................................ .

Jackie07
12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I guess they are going to auction off the naming right while getting funding from pharmaceutical companies... Just a guess. :)

Having had (and survived) 4 major surgeries at S&W, plus hubby's stents procedure, Father-in-law's 2 hip surgeries, and my late Mother-in-law's triple by-pass (she lived another 14 years before succumbing to Alzheimer's), we are proud of S&W and proud of the 'Aggies'...

Rich66
12-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Pretty rare to see them not even mention a working name. Maybe you can use your leverage to pry it out of them;)

Jackie07
12-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Yah, right... :)

Our family doctor is the son of the former President/Director of the Hospital/Board, I'm sure he will know...'not' :) People in (esp. Central) Texas are pretty laidback. I'll call Dr. Frankel's office (a world-class research star who had moved to S&W less than 5 years ago, pretty sure he's the one responsible for this breakthrough) after New Year's celebration. I do know the location of the office of our former State Representative - Diane White Delisi is a direct descendent of Dr. Raleigh White, one of the namesake of the Hospital. I think Raleigh White III (or IV) is a practicing plastic surgeon at S&W. By the way, the Director of S&W Health Care, Dr. James Rohack, MD, has just become the President of the AMA.

Hubby's cardiologist is a Dr. Scott - no relation to the co-founder and namesake, Dr. Arthur C. Scott...

Rich66
12-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Excellent. You know all the right doors to knock on. Can't wait for them to release the info. This article is kind of like a movie trailer or a pre-release marketing tease...without a date to deliver the goods. Bring them some good coffee and donuts to loosen them up...or take them out for a few cold ones.

Jackie07
12-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Here's a PDF link with some information (including pictures) on both researchers:

http://www.sw.org/web/patientsAndVisitors/iwcontent/public/ResearchInvPathology/en_us/pdf/LureOfTheCure.pdf

Rich66
01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
How's that twisting of arms going?