PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin/MUGA Scan

robind
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon5.gif Need help...advice how to handle this.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon5.gif
My oncologist in Sept. told me that when I was finished with Herceptin, I would need to have a final MUGA scan. That would be for January. My oncologist is out on maternity and I saw another...she said I did not need a muga, my heart never had any problem and even if there were a problem, there would be nothing that could be done. OUCH. I came right back and said, well, I'd go and see a cardiologist.
Now, I'm not going to panic here but...my confusion is real here. One says one thing and the other says something exactly the opposite. My oncologist isn't due back till April and I probably won't be seen by her until June. So...do I push to have it done??? Does everybody have that final MUGA regardless of the numbers of each one while on Herceptin. Please, I'd appreciate any and all answers on this one.
Thanks so much...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Robindhttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon5.gif

Chelee
12-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Robind, I went thru the exact same thing with my onc when I first started trt almost 4 yrs ago. (Except I was getting ECHO's and not MUGA's) But my onc told me I would be having a ECHO every 3 months while doing Herceptin...and one final one after I was done to make sure everything was alright.

When I finished herceptin I asked her when I would have my final echo scan? She said all my echo's were fine so there was no sense in having it. I told her I'd really rather have one just to make sure since she told me I would have one when finished. But it never happened. My echo's had been in the 70's which was good so I wasn't too worried. See how well your muga's were and go from there. If it would give you peace of mind I would push for one...it's your right. It seems many of the onc's don't feel it's necessary once your finished.

Chelee

Jackie07
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
My take is that the doctor was just trying to get you to finish more Herceptin sessions before you are 'forced out' because of lowered MUGA.

My MUGA started out low (don't know the exact number, had to be in the upper or mid 50's.) When I had a swollen left knee (I have left-side weakness because of my previous brain tumor surgery 17 years before then) just a couple of months into chemo, my oncologist did not order the MUGA scan. He waited till I had completed 18 weeks of chemo plus 4 weekly Herceptin.

The chemo room staff did not even know about it - I called them in my doctor's room - but the preparation was already done and had to go to waste.

I then realized that when I had a swollen knee after 'walking' exercise it already showed lowered heart pumping function.

I asked for another MUGA a couple of months after my Herceptin had stopped, but the score went 2 points lower despite my not-very-strong effort to improve it.

There is at least one lady here on the Board who has improved her MUGA by taking 'enalapria'. You might want to check into how to improve your heart function. Your body will know any problem before a scan or test reveals it.

Good luck to you.

Cal-Gal
12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I only get echo's every 3 mo. have never had the muga