PDA

View Full Version : melatonin

Ellie F
12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi all
wondered if anyone had any experience of using this hormone. It's not available in the UK but can be imported from the States. Some of the research seems to say it may be useful in bc.
Would be grateful for any info about effects, dose or side effects

Thanks
Ellie

freyja
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
This book has a lot of info about Melatonin and breast cancer:
The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Breast Cancer by Sat Dharam Kaur.
One fact it states, "Melatonin is one of the body's first lines of defense in response to malignant breast cell growth. Increased melatonin keeps abnormal breast cancer cells under control, while a deficiency of melatonin allows breast tumors to form."
You can promote melatonin production by getting tryptophan in your diet. Some sources include Spirulina, tuna, salmon, cashews, avocado, oatmeal, miso, most beans, etc. Also, avoid working night shifts, spend at least twenty minutes outside in natural light in morning, sleep in a dark room, keep regular hours, avoid electromagnetic radiation, exercise regularly, have an evening meditation routine.
If you decide to take a supplement, if you're ER+, she says consider 5-50 mg one half hour before bedtime with medical supervision.

Rich66
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Thread over here: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31403&highlight=Melatonin

I will say mom had a 20mg a couple hrs after some valium(pulled muscle) and hours later she felt unstable walking. Dug around on ye olde web and it seems there can be an interaction.

CourtneyL
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were cancer-fighting benefits to melatonin. My herbalist/acupuncturist recommended it to me as a natural sleep aide when I mentioned I'd had some trouble sleeping. I have a spray form where you spray on spray under your tongue, hold it for 20 seconds and swallow. I use it almost every night and it works great. Not sure what dose I'm getting but I should investigate. I have not noticed any side effects from taking it - other than more restful sleep - which is what I was hoping for! Here's hoping its helping my cancer cells to die as well!

'lizbeth
12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
OMG, I was taking 3/4 mg per night and that was a bit much, lol. I see Trader Joes had 500 mcg which might be a better dosage to start.

I saw a great benefit in falling asleep and it settled my nerves in the daytime.

But now I just take it ocassionally.

juanita
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
i used it to help me fall asleep for awhile and didn't know it did all that other stuff!

Cal-Gal
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I heard there was research on this and ILC breast cancer-that melatonin actually prohibited the growth---maybe I read it on this site? if not--so sorry I can't remember where-but if I run across I will post---

Cal-Gal
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20030714/hormone-melatonin-slows-breast-cancer

Cal-Gal
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
another one from breastcancer.org

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/71/topic/745256?page=1

Laurel
12-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Ellie,

I take 20mg of Melatonin nightly. Cancer Treatment Centers of America's naturopaths prescribe this dosage to all their cancer patients. Good to know!