PDA

View Full Version : Metastases to Rt 4th Rib

Adriana Mangus
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone;

I' m not sure of this.

I just picked up the pet scan report and it says;

"there is a smaller focus of icreased FDG uptake near the origina of the right fourth rib posteriorlym, with an SUV max of 2.2. I cannot distinguish whether these foci of increased tracer uptake are seconary to healing fractures of the right fourth rib, or metastases. The lateral focus was present in June 2009 The posterior focus was not definitely visualized at that time."

What does all this mean? Is there mets in the back of the rib..but not on the side? What is a SUV? A sports car? (just having some humor here)

Oh... the positive side of it....there is no increase on the mass size compared to last pet scan of june 2009. (right lung)

I have called at least 5 times the onc's office and no response, the poor receptionist keeps telling me, that she also sent the onc 3 messages on my behalf and nothing. Should I complain? He's been my doc for the last 15 years, but this is unacceptable. He's had the results, since December 3rd.

I'm not in distress at this time, am looking for someone to translate this report for me.

Anyone there?

Love,

Adriana

WolverineFan
12-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Adriana,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with figuring out what that all means, but I did want to tell you that I would most definitely say something about your onc having the report since 12/3 and not returning your calls. That is not only insensitive and unprofessional, but completely unacceptable. Please keep us posted on what it means but in the mean time, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hayley

Henny
12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi Adriana,
SUV values are very fuzzy. There is no line in the sand that says if the SUV is this number it's cancer. The numbers can vary from scan to scan even in the same person. In general if a SUV is below 2.5 it's not read out and indeed many radiologists don't use SUVs since they can be so variable.
If they saw a small spot that is questionable I'd go for a regular bone scan.

(SUV stands for Standard Uptake Value and is calculated from the persons weight, amount of tracer given, and time from injection to scan-there's a lot of room for error in this calculation)
So not to worry (if that's possible for us-worry seems to be my middle name)

Henny

Paty
12-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Adriana,

I can't help either, but I am sending you good vibes that everything will be alright. Un abrazo,

Paty

Chelee
12-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Adriana, As you probably know I've had problems with my onc for a long time. One of them is getting answers to my questions. Eventually they gave me a case manager that is "suppose" to be there to help out the onc because they are just so busy. Having this case manager has actually made things worse which I didn't think was possible!

But one thing I just started to do is type up a note to my onc and send it return reciept. I've only done this once so far but it worked! I wrote a very short letter to her telling her I've contacted the office on several occasions...also contacted my case manager...but no one is getting back to me and I need some answers.

This finally worked. It's a little more work then what I should have to do but it the end results is she gets back to me it's well worth it. This way the doctor can't say they weren't aware you had contacted the office. I've heard all the excuses and it's not right that they leave you sitting there stressed out when it would take only a few minutes to address your questions/concerns. It's not nice to leave you hanging like that.

I'm no expert but I do know SUV stands for "standard uptake value." Your SUV is only 2.2 which is low. So that could be scarring, inflammation or any number of things. (However that doesn't rule out met either.) The higher the number the more concern there is. I'm sure someone else here can explain it much better then I can. It sounds to me like they just aren't sure at this point...so I think it's only fair your onc gives you his opinion on this. If you have too...write that letter and send it today. (Paper trails work wonders and get quick replies it seems...it puts them on the spot.) It's not like you have to be mean...just write a sincere note of concern. Hang in there and hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Chelee

Pam P
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Adriana - To me this report says it could possibly be the VERY slight indication of bone met, BUT is so little and questionable with suv of 2.2 that it could just as well be any number of things... minor bruise or other minor situation that could be totally clear on your next scan. I get lots of pet scans and that's how I'd read it if it was my report. Of course I'm no expert. When you do connect with your onc. I hope you'll state how the lack of timely contact with you is very stressful for you and every person with cancer waiting for answers on scans. I don't know why doctors don't get this... or if they do, try harder to minimize this wait.

Ceesun
12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Adriana, Not sure what to make of the report, but sending my good wishes your way. Ceesun

chrisy
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
pam beat me to my answer! it seems to me to be an inconclusive report - it is a relatively low SUV value, which could have other causes. your onc may not have called because...he does not have answers (although even contacting you to tell you that would have been nice!)

HAng in there

Patb
12-08-2009, 03:51 PM
We all deserve timely calls and explainations about
test. I always warn my Drs, if I don't get a call
soon after the test, I will be over to find out. Why
wait when they are just laying there on someones
desk, or I get the report myself and then have
questions like you do. Good luck and I hope everything is ok.
patb

dawn
12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Adriana,

I hope everything works out well on your part. I would really have to let my onc know how I felt about his contact with you. They are also supposed to be there for you mental well being. Please keep us posted.

Dawn

Joan M
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Adriana,

Usually, a standard uptake value of 3.0 and above is considered suspicious for a cancerous lesion, but perhaps the radiologist wanted just to note the change, even though the number is lower than SUV 3.0.

While your oncologist should have gotten back to you by now, hopefully he hasn't returned your call because he's unconcerned about the new development in the rib.

It's very good news that the lung nodule is holding steady.

Joan

WomanofSteel
12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Hope you hear fom your onc soon. Keep us posted.

Jackie07
12-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Praying for you tonight: 1) They are not metastases; 2) you will get it treated successfully if there is something to be treated; 3) you can feel the love and support from all your friends on this Board.