PDA

View Full Version : New treatment: tykerb and herceptin

Ceesun
12-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Since my oncologist told me my lung nodule has increased in size, I have been waiting to see what the next move is. Looks like I will be taken off xeloda and he will put me back on herceptin along with the tykerb. My big concern is ---is this enough? Would love to hear from others doing this treatment. thanks Ceesun

PinkGirl
12-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the update Ceese ... I was wondering how you were doing.
I think Sheila is on this combo ... I'm sure you will hear from her.

Good luck with your new cocktail.... hope you don't get many S/E's.

Joe
12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
We expect data to be released this week in San Antonio about tis combiation.

Regrds
Joe

Sheila
12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Ceesun
So far, this combo has done magic for my node problems...some are completely gone, others are less than half the size, all this in 1 month! I started out gradually, 3 pills a day for 4 days, then did 4 a day for 4 days then went to 5. So far, no problem, other than a minor face race across my nose and a few bouts of diarrhea...i do think graduating the dose was a big help ...hoping it works as well for you...I am also on the every 3 week Herceptin dose....I was on Xeloda with Herceptin a couple years ago, and failed also.

Barbara H.
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I am in my second month with this treatment and my tumor markers are normal. It appears to be working well. I had the rash at the beginning, but it is now fading. I am tolerating it very well, but am only on 4 pills a day.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

vlcarr
12-07-2009, 07:01 PM
The clinical trial I did with Herceptin/Tykerb was 4 pills a day and weekly Herceptin I tolerated it very well. Like Sheila, I had some diarrhea but it was minimal. I didn't get a skin rash at all. I did get mouth sores about halfway through but that is not one of the common side effects.

It just melted my tumors away. I saw the onc every other week and started seeing shrinkage within the first 2 weeks. Part of the trial was to get a biopsy at the end but there was nothing there for them to biopsy.

Wishing you much success!

Chelee
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Ceesun, When I went for a 2nd opinion to see Dr. Slamon...he was all for the Tykerb/Herceptin combo. He said it has had great results and that was one of his choices for me. So far everyone I heard from that has tried this combo has had success with it. (If Dr. Slamon recommends...that tells me what I need to know.) :) Good luck.

Chelee

SoCalGal
12-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Count me in. Tykerb-Herceptin (and avastin and zometa) for quite some time now...so far, so good! Can't wait to hear what they say at San Antonio.

Ceesun
12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks gals for the replies--it helps to hear from you! Chelee, your comment regarding Dr. Slamon was a great reassurance,too. Fondly, Ceesun

CourtneyL
12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, I'm a little confused. Could Herceptin/Tykerb be better than Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda? Brain issues aside, I was on Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda and has some slight progression in my hilar nodules (near the lungs). We switched my treatment regime to Gemzar/Herceptin and my tumor markers are dropping! But I do worry about the brain being left unprotected. Should I add the Tykerb back in? It wasn't seeming to do enough to provent progression. I was on 5 pills a day.

Still trying to get into a T-DM1 trial and heading to Dana Farber next week. Wish me luck!

chrisy
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Ceese,
already tonight in an unrelated presentation, I heard a reference to positive results from this combo which will be reported this week!

Ceesun
12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Chrisy, Thanks, please keep me posted on this one! Ceese

Sheila
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Ceese
Hoping to hear more today...this is working a miracle for me so far....hoping the reviews are outstanding and it will be easier to acqire for all who need it.