PDA

View Full Version : Toothpaste Advice

vlcarr
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Can anyone recommend a good toothpaste that won't burn my mouth? I'm using Sensodyne but it still burns my tongue when the mouth issues start after chemo.

cafe1084
12-04-2009, 04:42 PM
When your tongue and mouth begin to burn and develop sores, have your MD call you in a mycelex troche to combat oral thrush. The only toothpaste I found that did not burn my mouth was peridex paste and rinse. There may be something new out since I had chemo, but without the troche and the rinse, I don't know what I would have done. You will be in my thoughts and Good Luck!

chrisy
12-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I used Tom's of Maine - it was very gentle and I actually still use it now! I also use Biotene mouthwash, it has no alcohol and is very soothing. (Biotene also makes toothpaste but I was unimpressed with it).

naturaleigh
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Baking Soda!! My dentist just recommend Baking Soda as the safest and best toothpaste to use. The Dental Hygentist just did a two year study on toothpaste and she was shocked at how much toxins were in a tube of paste.

Also, try L-Lysing for your mouth soars.

Lien
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I haven't had chemo, but I've had oral sore problems because of allergies. Baking soda worked miracles for me.

Jacqueline

micheleu
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Vicky,
Im not positive but I think Biotene might have a toothpaste now. I still use Biotene mouthwash 6 years out! My mouth still gets very dry and i can't use many other toothpastes either without them burning.

sarah
12-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello,
You should use a mouth wash up to 6 times a day - biocarbonate - ask the chemo nurse, pharmacy or doctor about it. I used during chemo and it prevented mouth sores.
good luck
hugs and love sarah

Ellie F
12-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Hi
During my second encounter with chemo I used a toothpaste made from bee propolis. it was just brilliant and meant I never got a sore mouth or an infection.
Ellie

yankeebikachic
12-06-2009, 05:57 AM
I used Crest Pro Health and had no problems. The mouthwash works good too, no burning!

vlcarr
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I have a mouth rinse called Prevention and I have the magic mouthwash script from the onc. My mouth is much better today. What I found with this 3rd round was when I brushed my teeth my tongue felt like it was on fire. Not my mouth, just my tongue.

I also use baking soda & salt with warm water and that seems to really help. I had not experienced the tongue issues until this 3rd round.

Thanks again. I've had a rough week and a half but feeling better today!

DianaT
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I used (still do) the Toms of Maine to brush twice a day and baking soda with hydrogen peroxide at night.

vlcarr
12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I meant to ask about where to get Toms of Maine and bee propolis? I've never heard of that.

DianaT
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Toms of Maine I get at HEB but I think that is only in TX. I am in OH on business and say it at Meijers. In the health food aisles, near the organic lotions/soaps.

naturaleigh
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Vicky,

I have used baking soda with salt for years, until my dentist told me to quit using the salt. The salt takes the enamel off your teeth.

Try just using the baking soda. The hardest thing to do it to put the baking soda on your teeth, but once you start brushing, it is not too bad.

Also, if you have a health food store, they usually sell Toms and I have also seen it at Walmart

harrie
12-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Vicky, what causes most of the burning sensation in toothpastes is this ingredient called sodium laurel sulfate. It is the foaming agent and also found in shampoos and prob other products. It is not a necessary ingredient for good oral hyg.
Anyways, the toothpastes i would recommend would be the toothpaste made by Biotene. Also, Rembrandt has a line called "for canker sore sufferers". Both of these should be tolerable for your mouth and it will also lessen the chances of getting a canker sore.
Stay away from the toothpastes that are for whitening, or tartar control.