PDA

View Full Version : Four years out

MJo
12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I am four years past my October 29, 2005, diagnosis. I saw my oncologist yesterday. and all is well. I complained about continuing cognitive problems -- although not as bad as two years ago. I blamed it on Femara. My oncologist said it could still be effects of chemo. That surprised me. Other than that, my liver enzymes continue to go up and down. Oncologist isn't concerned -- he says he'll only worry if they continue to go up! Still, my Internist ordered an ultrasound. The oncologist said the ultrasound isn't sensitive enough and won't show much, a CAT Scan would be better, but he doesn't think I need to worry. Interesting to be caught between two doctors.

I suspect that I have fatty liver. I have been a yoyo dieter, gaining and loosing from 20 to 40 pounds every two-three years since I was 15 years old. I lost 40 pounds on WeightWatchers last year and gained it all back. The oncologist sympathises -- I've seen him go from chubby to lean to chubby again in the four years I've been his patient! So I joined a gym and I'm going to keep trying to eat like a human being. An unexpected benefit of the gym -- it helps my clinical depression. An unexpected problem -- my asthma acted up, so I have exercise asthma. Have it under control, thankfully.

Congratulations to all my sisters who are four years out and counting. I am happy to join you.

tricia keegan
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Many congratulations MJO, I was four years out last July and thankfully got the all clear recently from a mets scare and am delighted to welcome you to the four year out club:)
It would be interesting to know the percentage of how many of us that received herceptin in early stage are still doing well almost five years on. :)
There seems to be quite a few on here now. I hope you have a special celebration planned and here's to many more years for all of us:)

Midwest Alice
12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Wonderful news MJO, I love to celebrate with you girls as you hit that another year mark. I will be posting my 2 year mark in a few months. Every day is such a blessing

Congratulation on number 4 and many many more!!

Joan M
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Mary Jo,

Congratulations on your 4 years!. And you'll lose the weight again. But no more eating Bruno's pasteries!

Joan

chrisy
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Mary Jo,
You didn't say if your liver enzymes are fluctuating within the normal range or outside of normal range. Many things can affect these - pretty much any type of medication, various foods etc. Things that have nothing to do with cancer.

Congratulations on passing another milestone...the first of many!

Becky
12-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Congratulations MJo. Hope to be seeing you soon!

caya
12-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Big congrats to you MJO on the big 4 years out!!

all the best
caya

Mary Jo
12-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Congrats Mary Jo - THIS Mary Jo joins you sister!!!! I am 4 years 4 months out and very thankful.....as I know you are.

Be a blessing..........

Mary Jo

DianeH
12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Mary Jo, that's a cause for a celebration!

I also have been diagnosed with a fatty liver and my enzymes dance around too.
It is disconcerting but my doctors seem not to worry about it.

Sending hugs, and congrats again!
Diane

momdeeco
12-05-2009, 05:19 AM
So happy for you MJO
I am also 4 years out.(nov. 21st) How do you ever get rid of thoughts of reoccurence ? I've even dreamed about it!

krisvell
12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Congrats... I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing your success. It means a lot to me to read about wins. I am 2/3 through treatment and believe I can get to where you are.
Kris....

Sheila
12-06-2009, 06:54 AM
MJo
Congrats on 4 years....these celebrations are so important to us....may you be blessed with many many more to celebrate!!!!

MJo
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
MomDeeco -- Do we ever get past worries about recurrence? In my case, no. But the worries are much less intense. I think I would describe myself as "vigilant" rather than worried. Since my family has a history of other cancers ( bladder, stomach) back through generations, I am glad that I will continue to see my oncologist -- twice a year until my five year anniversary, then once a year for another five years at least.

Gerri
12-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Congratulations MJo on reaching your 4th year! Wishing you many, many more to come.

I can sympathize with you regarding the weight issue. Can you give WW another try? I have lost 60 lbs this past year on WW. I decided to give the program (another) try after reading about your success. Sometimes we just need a push to get us going. You were an inspiration to me and I am so happy with my results.

Best of luck to you with whatever path you choose.

schoolteacher
12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
MJo,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have always admired your courage and grace. God Bless You.

Amelia

Catherine
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Congratulations MJO....Cognitive issues....I think I have them too. But next April I will join your 4 year club. Good luck with eating like a human. I just ate every dessert there was at a holiday party. Sure was fun.

Catherine

suzan w
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Way to go MJO!!! Welcome to the 4 year club!!! xo Suzan

Jean
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Dear MJO,
Happy 4 years out....now I am wishing you 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x4 x4 more of them....

Hugs,
Jean

juanita
12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
congratulations on four years! hope you have many, many more.

Jackie07
12-18-2009, 03:12 PM
How did I miss this thread?

MJO,

A BIG congratulation on a clean bill after 4 years. Be sure to celebrate. [I'm eating some home-made chocolate for you :)]

ammebarb
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I missed it too! Congratualtions, Mary Jo. As my oncologist used to say, "Keep up the good work!"

Barb A.

Wendywins
12-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Congratulations!
I am 7years and 10 months out (ER-Pr-)Her2neu+++ .
....Wendywins

karen z
12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Congratulations MJO!! Wonderful to hear your news.
Best,
Karen

harrie
12-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Yea MJo!!! I made my 3 yr mark last month!!

schoolteacher
01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Congratulations MJO. Many more to come.

Amelia

Shobha
01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Congratulations MJO!! You fill me with hope. God bless you with many many more...

hugs,
shobha

lizm100
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
MJO-

thank you for sharing your awesome news!!!!!
Wishing you health & happiness forever :+)

janieR
01-05-2010, 12:16 PM
MJO,

I am so happy for you.

Janie

Chelee
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
MJO, I'm glad you got such a good report from yoru onc...things are going well...must be a sign that it's time for some retail therapy or a big hunk of chocolate. lol Big congratulations on being 4 yrs out and NED. That's wonderful. Here's to another 50 plus some more ahead of you. Woo hoo!

Chelee