PDA

View Full Version : Timely Information

Joe
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Should you get a swine flu shot (http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/flu/)?

Regards
Joe

Mary Jo
12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Joe.....great information. I'm always puzzled why people who have had cancer in the past, but do not have it now, are at a greater risk. I am healthy.......never sick, but am considered at a higher risk to get flu. Wonder why? Oh well..........

I did get a flu shot for the first time ever but not H1N1 and won't get that one. There was sooooooooo much flu going around at the school I work at (since early October) so figured since they were offering the regular flu shot, free, to employees I'd take them up on their offer.

Hugs from a distance (less germy that way)

Mary Jo

chrisy
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey MJ - I love flu season, gives me a great excuse to get (or give) hugs instead of handshakes!

Sheila
12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
After pneumonia last year, missing out on San Antonio, and Christmas, and New Years, and Chemo, and Easter...(it lasted forever) I got both shots this year...i have always gotten the seasonal flu shot, and stood in line for a couple hours in the freezing cold...32 degrees to get the H1N1....glad I did since going to San Antonio you are around people from all over the world...i was not taking any chances!

WolverineFan
12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Joe,

That is great information! Thanks for passing it along. I have not yet received a flu or H1N1 shot, but it will be on my "to do" list now. Thanks again.

Hayley

tricia keegan
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Joe, my GP has been asking me to come in for the H1NI flu shot and I was a little reluctant.
Think I'll take the leap and make the appt!

suzan w
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Joe, I just got my H1N1 shot yesterday (no reactions) and the reg. flu shot a month ago. I work in a kid's ski school with kids from all over, loaded with germs!!!

nitewind
12-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the site, Joe. I bookmarked it.

Cal-Gal
12-03-2009, 01:15 PM
thanks Joe---just about the most detailed info I have seen on this---

StephN
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Guess I don't have time to get the H1N1 shot since I am leaving for Texas tomorrow to see family before going on to San Antonio for the symposium.

The vaccine has been really tight here in the Seattle area. Slow to come in. And I am not in the *highest* risk groups.

Have to leave it to faith.

Barbara H.
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I got both flu shots with no reaction. It's better than getting the flu. I have a three month old granddaughter and work with three classes of fifth graders. Many of them come to school with pretty bad colds and who knows what else?
Best,
Barbara H.

StephN
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, by leaving "it to faith" my turn came to get the H1N1 shot this afternoon.

My last errand before my trip tomorrow was to the pharmacy and, lo and behold, they had a fresh shipment of the vaccine and NO lines of screaming little children this time.

So I paid my $20 and got the shot. It will not help me for this trip as I was told it needs about 2 weeks to really take effect. Hopefully it will be my talisman this trip!

juanita
12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
no flu shot of any kind this year since i'm no longer working at the school and am regreting that. i been sick since thanksgiving. an upper resp virus turned into bronchitis and now i think i've got an ear infection. yuck!

Rich66
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Higher dose (3X) seasonal flu shot for seniors just approved:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714319?sssdmh=dm1.575432&src=nldne&uac=124502MT

Maybe possible to get a second shot to top off?

flynny
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. I have chosen NOT to get either one. I have never had a seasonal flu shot and I just feel so good, so I'm sticking with that.

Faith in Him
12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I did get the H1N1 shot and became very sick a few days later. I could not get out of bed and couldn't hold anything down. Not sure if it was a reaction or just the plain old stomach flu.

Rich66
12-31-2009, 02:45 AM
I guess medscape subscribees are ahead of the curve on the increased dose for seasoned citizens. Local hospital knows nuttin' bout it.