PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day but a Sad Day

Sheila
11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
What a day! Talk about the good the bad and the ugly!

THE UGLY:
Left home at 5am to drive to Chicago in super dense fog, got pulled over by the police...one headlight was out on my VW BUG...glad no one was out to see me in the funeral home parking lot with all the lights flashing!

The GOOD:
Got an Excellent report...I am 2 1/2 weeks into Tykerb with the Herceptin and the palpable nodes in my neck are down to half the size or better...1 prominent is almost gone, the axillary node is barely palpable now and the tightness in the chest, side and throat from all the other enlarged chest nodes is pretty much gone...no more taking the bra off while trying to leave the grocery store parking lot! (I was seriously that uncomfortable).
This should give hope to anyone who has not had this combo...it was worth the fight!!!!!

The BAD / SAD :
Today was a tearful goodbye to my oncologist, who has managed me and this disease for almost 8 years....has kept my Mother a survivor for 23 years, and was more than just a Dr., she was a friend. She has spent her life bettering treatments, outcomes and patients of this awful disease, and is a breast cancer survivor herself! She assisted in pioneering the early clinical trials of Herceptin, and is mentioned in the book, Her 2, The making of Herceptin. She was a Professor of Medicine and a Professor of Oncology, and the Chair Person for the Brian Piccolo Foundation....I will be seeing her collegue, who is amazing, and I am lucky to be getting her, but tonight, I am feeling sad, and yet I know how lucky I have been for the last almost 8 years to call her "MY ONCOLOGIST, My friend."

Faith in Him
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Wonderful news, Shelia. I'm celebrating with you. What a great Thanksgiving gift. I know how you feel about your Onc. We do tend to care for the people who are taking care of us.

Tonya

StephN
11-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Fabulous news on your physical report. Looks like Herceptin IS your "cup of tea."

Is your oncologist retiring? I know how hard it was when mine moved to Arizona 3 years ago. When you feel like they have given you your life, it is an unusual doctor/patient relationship.

You are helping write another chapter of drug combinations!

Mary Anne in TX
11-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I so could hear your heart in your message!!! I'm cheering for your results and am so glad you had your wonderful angel Dr./Friend for all these years. ma

Laurel
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Ah,Sheila, that was a sweet post. Loved the praise lavished upon your excellent Onc. and friend. Really touched by this and so very glad you are improving. Thank you for sharing.

hutchibk
11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Very poignant post Sheila. Somehow I pictured you driving a VW bug. I love them and almost bought a gently used one 2 years ago. One main reason we didn't was because of the problem with the headlights burning out regularly... don't know if that is still a problem with them, but it was in the earlier models.

I am so sad that your beloved onc is leaving... you and I can commiserate.

Mine is leaving too, and the day that I found out 6 weeks ago, I felt as though someone had punched me in the chest. I couldn't breathe for about 12 hours. He's not retiring, but is moving away, far away. He is moving his family to a "micropolis" and though I am really happy for them (5 small children and they want them to grow up away from "metropolis" distractions and crime), I am really sad for me. He will be taking a position as Head of Oncology at a regional cancer center, living in a small town of 30,000. He and his wife (who we have bonded with and become second family with) constantly try to sell us on the idea of moving with them, and I can't say that I haven't seriously considered it... We have until May before they leave, so he and I will work out a plan. He may not realize it, but he WILL continue to be my doctor, even if I go to someone else locally for infusions and clinical exams.

karen z
11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you for the beautiful post and picture. I am so happy for your good news and grateful that you have had such a wonderful doctor, who is now placing you in good hands.
karen

Carolyns
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Sheila,

I am sorry to hear about your doctor leaving but thrilled to hear about your response to treatment! That is great news... I am so happy. You made my night!

Take care, Carolyn

Mary Jo
11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Sheila...I am so happy for you! The "bug" ordeal - well, could have been worse....Your oncologist leaving is sad, yes, BUT you dear sister are doing well....Praise God.

Love and hugs,

Mary Jo

vlcarr
11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Sheila,

I'm not Stage IV but had excellent results with the Tykerb and Herceptin trial-my tumor just kept melting away. So happy for you!

SoCalGal
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
YAY for the good news! Hard to part with our trusted doctors. When I broke up with mine two years ago, even though it was my choice and the right (life-saving) decision, I was still so distraught that after 11 years I had to go with a more aggressive doc. Stay in gratitude. Chin up. Doors close & a window opens?? What's that expression?? Well, I am so glad for your good combo results!!!!!!

ElaineM
11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I am very happy to read your good news.
Perhaps you can keep in touch with your oncologist once in awhile.
At my first oncologist's request I keep in touch with him 2-3 times a year. He is still very encouraging, enthusiastic and happy to get my e-mails. He always answers my mail within 24 hours. He wrote that he still keeps his Hawaii patients in his heart even though he now lives in Asia.

Ellie F
11-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi Sheila
Big cheers from another node girl. So glad this combo is working so well. Are you managing the side effects?? As you know the bean counters won't let us have tykerb here so if push came to shove I might have a big fight to!

Sorry your onc is leaving but sounds like you will be in good hands with the successor

Cheers Ellie

tricia keegan
11-25-2009, 02:39 AM
What wonderful news Sheila, I'm so happy for you that this combo is working so well:)
I had to change my onc in the past too but I'm now very happy with my new one and hope you will be also.

MJo
11-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Congratulations on results. Nice oncologist, but weird hair color. Very handsome man. I am drooling. Keep your wonderful sense of humor, Sheila.

ammebarb
11-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Sheila, I'm so glad you had a good report, and your combo is working so well!

My beloved oncologist moved his family to New Mexico a number of years ago, and I thought I'd have to pack up and go along! He left me in good hands, and so I established a great relationship with my "new man" and think I'm really fortunate to have had two very good doctors.

I have wanted a VW bug ever since I learned to drive in one in 1965! Perhaps the right old one, goofy headlights and all, will come along someday! In the meantime, I'll imagine you tooling along in yours.

Best wishes.

Barb A.

Gerri
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Shelia,

I'm so happy to hear about the great results you are getting from this combo. You have fought so long and hard - FINALLY something is working for you.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are 'losing' your onc but it sounds like she has left you in good hands.

Keep the good news coming!

PinkGirl
11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
FloriGirl ... the expression is "when one door closes another door
opens" but I guess for skinny people a window would be okay too!!!

You look fabulous SheilaGirl!!!!

suzan w
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Sheila, that is great news! I can sympathize about how hou feel losing your onc. The surgeon who I trusted with my life and who was like a father to me , passed away almost exactly a year after my bc surgery. It left a huge hole in my heart! I keep his picture in my wallet, to look at when I am feeling down and helpless!!! xo Suzan

Shobha
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Sheila,

So happy to read about your good results! Keep the good news coming! I love the picture. It is sad to be away from someone who has played such a big part in keeping us alive. I pray that you find a very good doctor again and continue your friendship with your previous oncologist.

hugs,
shobha

Joan M
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Sheila,

It's great news that the Tykerb and Herceptin combo is working on reducing the size of your enlarged nodes. Yes!!!

Thanks for the photo with your oncologist. You are really blessed to have such a great relationship with her.

Joan

Patb
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Good news that your treatment is working.
You deserve everything good, you worked
so hard to get this. Its funny how we become
so attached to our Doctors, even when I am
traveling I want my Doc with me. Congratulations
and good and healing thoughts for your future.
patb

chrisy
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Sheila,
Except for the getting pulled over (didn't playing the "cancer card" work?), it sounds like a really good day. The part about your oncologist moving on is so bittersweet - you've been so very fortunate to have this lady in your life. And she is also fortunate knowing you.

See you soon

WomanofSteel
11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Sheila, I am so happy to hear that this treatment is working for you. I am soory about your onc though. It is so hard to find another doc that you feel just as comfy with.

Sheila
11-27-2009, 08:08 AM
A true test of chemo brain will be can I remember all the questions to me in the replies.

Steph, yes my onc. is retiring....

Brenda, this is the 1st time I have had a problem with the headlights...mine is a turbo VW...more power and speed....it's almost time to decorate with my light up Christmas tree in the vase (my own creation )..it will replace the palm tree and flip flops that are currently there (another person creation)

Flori...thanks to you recommendations, I am taking 5 tablets with no problem....my oncologist said she would pass the step up program on to other onc's since it seems more successful than starting on the 5 tabs right out of the shute!

Elle, because of Flori's recommendation, I am taking the full dose with really no side effects...in 3 weeks, diarrhea only 4 times and a rash on my nose...other than that, no side effects and GREAT results so far!!!

Shoba...I have her home number and know that I can call her anytime, even if its not cancer related.

MJo...my husband's head is still swollen from your compliments....now thats all I hear!!!!

Pink....you are jealous of all the gray hair, right??? Hey, it matches my glasses....

Everyone else, thank you for all the good wishes and happy thoughts....I feel so blessed for all the support and the fact that the Tykerb/Herceptin combo seems to be my new magic! If i forgot to answer anyone, its just the residual chemo brain.

Catherine
11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah Sheila,

So glad for your good results. This reminds me a little of the good, the bad and the ugly and Clint Eastwood in his younger days. Keep the good news coming and your cute Bug rolling and a special place in your heart for you wonderful ONC.

Hugs,
Catherine

Chelee
11-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Shelia, So sad to hear you are losing your long time "trusted" onc. I can't even imagine what that must feel like. But it sounds like you have a good replacement that will keep you going for many YEARS to come. :)

I am so interested in this Tykerb/Herceptin combo your on. This is what Dr. Slamon's office recommended for me if I could not do the TDM1. But...my onc and the City of Hope onc BOTH told me that combo would NOT work without a chemo drug added. (When I called Slamon's office back and told them what these onc's were telling me...they made it quite clear that there was no doubt that this combo would work great.) In fact one person in that office laughed and said, "Obviously we don't know what we are talking about here". lol I got a kick out of her...she is so funny. I even asked my onc & the COH onc to give Dr. Slamon's office a call since they obviously thought I didn't have a clue about what I was talking about. I hope this upcoming ASCO conference has some current info on this for our onc's can get updated. I hate to see so many women missing out on good treatment options when there out there.

Since I was told of the Tykerb/Herceptin combo I'd done alot of searching to see what I could find on it...and it seems most that have done it has been clinical trials and they have all be very positive with great results. So WHY is it my onc and the City of Hope onc is not aware that these two drugs work fine without any help from a chemo drug? I would think they would be current on something like this?

I am glad your not having to deal with nasty side affects...thats great. Lets hope it stays that way. But wow...what awesome results in just 2 1/2 wks! They Tykerb/Herceptin combo isn't wasting any time in knocking down those nodes! Wooo hoo. Keep us updated on those disappearing nodes. You had to fight SO HARD for this...and it's so nice to hear the pay off so far has been terrific. (Keeping you in my prayers.)
Chelee

Jackie07
11-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Sheila,

Good to hear the 'good' result. Sorry for the 'bad' and 'ugly' part. :)

Chelee,

I have experienced similar things with my oncologist. He wanted to stick to the '5-year' Tamoxifen protocol before we talk about anything else. It is really frustrating.

Glad to see that you are feeling well enough to post. You sound good. Take care.

chrisy
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Chelee - glad you got a good laugh out of that one!
"So WHY is it my onc and the City of Hope onc is not aware that these two drugs work fine without any help from a chemo drug? I would think they would be current on something like this?"

Obviously, Dr. Slamon's office doesn't know what they're talking about - nor do the people who will be presenting trial results at San Antonio in 2 weeks! LOL!.

Actually, I think many oncologists who are not heavily involved in studies do NOT stay up on what is coming in the research. Without cutting too much slack here, there is just TOO MUCH going on, particularly if they are not only specializing in breast cancer. However, even the most out of touch oncologist should have the good sense to defer to info you get from THE MAN himself!

It will be fun to walk in there with copies of the study results...:)

Chris

Lori R
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Sheila,
I am so happy to hear the fantastic results of your treatment. I know that you went through a very uncertain period that was quite nerve wracking.

I have quite the image of you in your turbo VW. Made me smile.

Thank you for posting....you remain an inspiration on so many fronts.....Keep up the good results.

rinaina
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Sheila, I know just how you feel about your doctor leaving. My surgeon got an amazing offer at Southern California to be Assistant Chief of Surgery so he has been gone since August. He not only did my bc surgery, he also did parathyroid surgery on me. He was with Evanston and was responsible for the new breast center there. He was passed over for the position there when North Shore University Health took over and brought in their own people. It is a great loss to many of Dr Sener's patients. He was not only superb clinically but also as a person. He was extremely easy to talk to and very kind, understanding and caring. I wish I could travel to see him every six months. I am however, very happy to hear that your nodes are shrinking. Keep up the good work. Are we ever going to go for lunch again?

Jean
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Sheila,
I am so thrilled to read your post. It is just wonderful that the new treatment is giving you the results we are all praying for.

How lucky for you to have a dear friend for your onc.
She is certainly an angel. It is bitter sweet for you.
Is she retiring?

Please keep me updated with your great news and progress....you have made me smile today!

With hugs and love,
Jean

juanita
12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
sheila- glad to hear that at least some things are going good for you. hope that others improve!