PDA

View Full Version : paclitaxel treated patients more likely to develop chronic neuropathic pain

Lani
11-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Breast cancer patients treated with chemotherapy drug Taxol more likely to develop chronic neuropathic pain
24. November 2009 01:50

Breast cancer patients treated with the chemotherapy drug Taxol (paclitaxel) are more likely to develop chronic neuropathic pain, according to research published in The Journal of Pain, the peer review publication of the American Pain Society.

Researchers from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center conducted a survey of breast cancer patients who participated in clinical trials of Taxol from 1994 to 2001. There were 240 respondents. The purpose of the study was to determine the association between chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) and neuropathic pain in breast cancer patients treated with Taxol. The authors noted that few studies have examined the extent to which breast cancer survivors who experience CIPN during chemotherapy go on to develop chronic neuropathic pain.

Though survival rates for breast cancer have increased significantly, chemotherapy agents that make survival possible can cause structural damage to peripheral nerves, causing chronic pain from the resulting dysfunction in the nervous system. Dose-limiting toxicity for many chemotherapeutic agents is peripheral neuropathy.

The study results showed that breast-cancer patients who had experienced CIPN during their treatment with Taxol were three times more likely to eventually be diagnosed with chronic neuropathic pain. Taxol-treated patients, therefore, should be regularly monitored for neuropathic pain beyond treatment.

Source: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer

Laurel
11-24-2009, 06:30 AM
This is interesting. I had 4 infusions of Taxol in '08. At the time I experienced the nerve pain, and subsequent neuropathy in my feet and fingers. To the present I have painful feet which I never had prior to chemo. Of course, being triple pos. I am on an A.I. so the pain may be exacerbated or caused by them instead of the Taxol.

I am continuously surprised by the pain and stiffness in my feet. Looks like I shouldn't be.

Rich66
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Stiffness sounds more like an AI issue. My mom had a single dose of Taxol and had some fingertip numbness for 4 or 5 months. I do hate these figures that mention a multiplier without a base. How about a % of Taxol patients who get it.

BonnieR
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Laurel, I have been experiencing foot pain and stiffness lately and really had not made the connection with cancer treatment. Thanks for enlightening me about that possibility. I was blaming it entirely on old age!